Kevin McCarthy DROPS OUT, the House GOP in absolute chaos
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:29:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kevin McCarthy DROPS OUT, the House GOP in absolute chaos
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy DROPS OUT, the House GOP in absolute chaos  (Read 9432 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2015, 04:11:43 AM »

I say they just start holding ballots until someone wins.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2015, 08:54:42 AM »

You know you could have put that all in one post

Could 8 posts in a row by 1 user be a new record?

It must be. I am kind of surprised post padders have not thought of that approach before. Just break up one post, into ten!  If this becomes a fad, maybe we will need to come up with another term of use. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2015, 12:57:10 PM by Torie »

Dent v Brat on the Meet the Press can be watched here. Click on the image labeled GOP v GOP for Control of the Party. It was quite a food fight. Dent and Brat don't have much patience with each other. And Brat has a series of 10 demands Ryan must meet to get his vote. Pity none of the questioners focused on the matter of what happens if nothing gets passed, and then the government shuts down, as to what happens then. Playing out scenarios to the end game, and the consequences, seems to be the really salient issue. Dent did mention that some of it seems to be to let those who want to govern take the hit, and deliver the vote, to get something passed, so that the hard liners can crow they stayed true to Pub principles, without having to endure the consequences of the failure to govern at all. Let others take the hit, so that they can posture themselves as true blue and principled, rather than "Washington insider" trimmers.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »

Is there a chance Dent could be targeted for a primary? He's becoming awfully exposed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2015, 08:44:01 PM by Torie »

Is there a chance Dent could be targeted for a primary? He's becoming awfully exposed.

Nah, PA is a machine state pretty much, and beyond that, just like in NY, that zone has more than its share of more moderate Pubs. I notice that almost every NY Pub Congressperson is in the Main Street Partnership, a more moderate group, for example. And he is very articulate. It makes no sense to shut the government down making demands that the public will never support, and won't even pass the Senate. The smart thing to do, is negotiate a budget that will pass the Senate, which is not subject to a filibuster, that has popular appeal, and then if Obama refuses to sign it, the onus of shutting down the government is on him. And that means all entitlements need to be funded (including Obamacare), because entitlements are a matter of law, and one needs new laws to change them, which will not happen while Obama is President. If you want entitlement reform, elect a Pub POTUS. You fail to do that, then no entitlement reform. That is how democracy works, and should work.
hopper
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »

Dent v Brat on the Meet the Press can be watched here. Click on the image labeled GOP v GOP for Control of the Party. It was quite a food fight. Dent and Brat don't have much patience with each other. And Brat has a series of 10 demands Ryan must meet to get his vote. Pity none of the questioners focused on the matter of what happens if nothing gets passed, and then the government shuts down, as to what happens then. Playing out scenarios to the end game, and the consequences, seems to be the really salient issue. Dent did mention that some of it seems to be to let those who want to govern take the hit, and deliver the vote, to get something passed, so that the hard liners can crow they stayed true to Pub principles, without having to endure the consequences of the failure to govern at all. Let others take the hit, so that they can posture themselves as true blue and principled, rather than "Washington insider" trimmers.
Its really not "for the control of the party" since Dent is a Moderate and Brat is part of the "House Freedom Caucus". I'm sure Dent has had his disagreements with other Establishment Members of the party.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2015, 06:01:59 PM »

The MainStreet Partnership is part of the establishment wing of the party.
hopper
United States

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2015, 09:24:23 PM »

The MainStreet Partnership is part of the establishment wing of the party.
Yeah I know but the Establishment Moderates and Establishment Conservatives did battle it out in the 80's and 90's and the Establishment Conservatives won out with one of the Establishment  Conservatives oddly enough being John Boehner in the 90's! The battle is now between the New School Conservatives(i.e. The House Freedom Caucus) and the old Establishment Conservatives and not Establishment Moderates. I do think the  Establishment Conservatives(well a new breed of them)will win out in the long run since "The House Freedom Caucus" have an older  following in the Baby Boomer Generation. "The House Freedom Caucus"  only makes up 17% of the US House Republican Delegation also. They are just big enough to be a pain in the butt for now.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2015, 12:38:31 AM »

I had heard he was "unbeatable", but I hadn't heard him speak.  I listen to NPR (nearly) everyday, watch a little news on the PBS, I knew of the guy.  Him speaking on Hannity certainly wasn't an everyday headline for two weeks.

...and I still don't get why it would negate me making fun of a Clinton fan for making fun of another politico for being untrustable.
It kind of was. It was shown again and again on MSNBC and CNN, in news articles online, it's dominated the conversation, etc. This just proves only listening to NPR and bits of PBS can make you really out of touch.

When it comes to anything approaching news, they might as well be National Propaganda Radio, and Propaganda & Bullsh**t. Their presentation is great, and their ability to make an otherwise reasonably sane and intelligent citizen feel like he or she is doing their part to be an informed and responsible member of society and voter is second to none. But they exist as pure apologists for the status quo, the counterpart (but not antithesis or antidote) to FOX News and the like, the perpetuate the illusion of choice and promote the mostly false difference between the two wings of the Party System.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »

I had heard he was "unbeatable", but I hadn't heard him speak.  I listen to NPR (nearly) everyday, watch a little news on the PBS, I knew of the guy.  Him speaking on Hannity certainly wasn't an everyday headline for two weeks.

...and I still don't get why it would negate me making fun of a Clinton fan for making fun of another politico for being untrustable.
It kind of was. It was shown again and again on MSNBC and CNN, in news articles online, it's dominated the conversation, etc. This just proves only listening to NPR and bits of PBS can make you really out of touch.

When it comes to anything approaching news, they might as well be National Propaganda Radio, and Propaganda & Bullsh**t. Their presentation is great, and their ability to make an otherwise reasonably sane and intelligent citizen feel like he or she is doing their part to be an informed and responsible member of society and voter is second to none. But they exist as pure apologists for the status quo, the counterpart (but not antithesis or antidote) to FOX News and the like, the perpetuate the illusion of choice and promote the mostly false difference between the two wings of the Party System.
You're seriously deluding yourself if you think the differences between the two parties are mostly false.

They agree on some fundamentals that some radicals challenge. That's not the same as saying there's hardly a difference.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2015, 02:56:59 AM »

You know you could have put that all in one post

Could 8 posts in a row by 1 user be a new record?

It’s been done before.  E.g.:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=129094.0

Of course, nkpatel had quite a few threads like that, though usually not with as many as 8 posts in a row.  Here are some examples of his standard posting style:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=103570.0

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=103496.0
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2015, 06:21:30 AM »

Looks like that story has been deleted, but from the URL, it looks like it was about Renee Elmers.  So for those who are unaware...

A GOP donor has apparently alleged that Kevin McCarthy and Rep. Renee Ellmers had an extramarital affair:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/renee-ellmers-affair-rumor-kevin-mccarthy-thanks-gop-lawmakers-for-support-214607

The donor is described as “a discredited troublemaker” by those in McCarthy’s orbit, however:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bob Livingston 2.0?

I hope this story gains traction this week, as I believe it to be true and we need a juicy scandal to add to this drama Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2015, 09:53:02 AM by Torie »

If the rumor mill is right, Ryan is taking the right approach vis a vis the Freedom Caucus. He might entertain some procedural changes, but will not start horse trading on policy in order to give the Freedom Caucus their pound of policy flesh. No Speaker I would think would be electable who goes anyway near there. When the Freedom Caucus will get the memo on that, remains to be seen. Meanwhile, Boehner sits in place, and should screw the FC every chance he gets, and totally marginalize them. That is what any group deserves when despite being a small minority of the Pub ranks, is holding them all hostage with their demands. I also hear rumors that business interests are telling some of them that they will be primaried, if they don't fold their cards on this one.

Here is  more chatter that suggests Ryan will just do it.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »

Looks like that story has been deleted, but from the URL, it looks like it was about Renee Elmers.  So for those who are unaware...

A GOP donor has apparently alleged that Kevin McCarthy and Rep. Renee Ellmers had an extramarital affair:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/renee-ellmers-affair-rumor-kevin-mccarthy-thanks-gop-lawmakers-for-support-214607

The donor is described as “a discredited troublemaker” by those in McCarthy’s orbit, however:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bob Livingston 2.0?

I hope this story gains traction this week, as I believe it to be true and we need a juicy scandal to add to this drama Smiley

Did someone say my name?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2015, 08:19:58 AM »

A brief recap of the Kevin McCarthy affair rumors timeline:

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/9/9488323/mccarthy-ellmers-affair
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length