Oregon School Shooting - At Least 10 Dead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:18:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oregon School Shooting - At Least 10 Dead
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Oregon School Shooting - At Least 10 Dead  (Read 5321 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »

BREAKING: News says that someone has died in the hospital, indicating the death toll has risen to 11.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »

I care more about the constitutional rights of citizens to own a firearm than I care about the (relatively minor) consequences of the right to own a gun, sure.

sick.
Are you even human? Do you really value a item made by people over a human life?
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »

The same arguments are always trotting out after every one of the bimonthly mass shooting in America. It's tedious.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 07:37:37 PM »

I care more about the constitutional rights of citizens to own a firearm than I care about the (relatively minor) consequences of the right to own a gun, sure.

Probably one of the more disgusting posts I've ever seen on this board.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 07:40:41 PM »

BREAKING: According to multiple witnesses, the shooter asked victims which religion they professed before deciding to either shoot them in the head or in the legs (according to one witness, Christians were shot in the head, while those who provided another option or did not answer were shot in the legs).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 07:47:07 PM »

And once again the world looks at the US and shakes its head in dismay.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 08:07:22 PM »

But its true-the risk of dying in a shooting like this does not justify a ban on guns. We have more shootings like this than anywhere else in the world, and the risk is still about 100x lower than being hit by a car or killed in a freak golfing accident.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »

BREAKING: Gunman in Oregon shooting identified as 26-year-old Chris Harper Mercer.

@NYT
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 08:12:56 PM »

I don't understand why everyone is attacking Sanchez. His statement is easily within the mainstream. It doesn't lack empathy. I don't necessarily agree with it as I don't care much about the issue, but it seems like a silly thing to throw a tantrum over.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:34 PM »

Sounds like the shooter was an edgy atheist 4channer.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 08:29:53 PM »

I don't understand why everyone is attacking Sanchez. His statement is easily within the mainstream. It doesn't lack empathy. I don't necessarily agree with it as I don't care much about the issue, but it seems like a silly thing to throw a tantrum over.
Buh Obama is angry and sad!!!1!!
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 09:18:10 PM »

Anyone who isn't angry and sad about this needs to reevaluate their moral compass
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »

What Sanchez said isn't necessarily that bad.  I don't think the deaths caused by drunk driving  (which are terrible and tragic) justify banning alcohol.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »

What Sanchez said isn't necessarily that bad.  I don't think the deaths caused by drunk driving  (which are terrible and tragic) justify banning alcohol.

Drunk drivers generally don't intend to get into car crashes.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 10:23:19 PM »

An innocent life is the most precious thing imagineable. A million times more valuable than the right to own a weapon.  The only way that these killings will ever finally end is when guns are eliminated from this country. No one else should die because we as a society refuse to come to terms with this. Time to ban all privately owned guns. I cant reconcile being pro life and pro gun.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 10:40:08 PM »

Guns kill way more people than drunk drivers, man.  And yet driving drunk or not is way more regulated.

Like I said... sick.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 10:46:16 PM »

Drunk drivers generally don't intend to get into car crashes.

This. The mass shooting epidemic is not some 'tragedy' - these aren't a series of unpredictable, unpreventable accidents. Mass shootings are an epidemic of domestic terrorism, plain and simple. We placed stringent security measures on air traffic after one terrorist attack. There is no good reason that we should not place equally or more stringent measures on gun ownership after dozens of high profile shootings in the past decade alone.

An innocent life is the most precious thing imagineable. A million times more valuable than the right to own a weapon.  The only way that these killings will ever finally end is when guns are eliminated from this country. No one else should die because we as a society refuse to come to terms with this. Time to ban all privately owned guns. I cant reconcile being pro life and pro gun.

Massive FF.

Anyone who cares more about the rights of private citizens to own firearms than the right of innocent people to live without the constant fear of being shot to death for no reason is severely lacking in empathy. I don't have any personal problem with Sanchez, nor do I think he is a bad poster. However, he is lacking in both empathy and sense on this particular issue.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »

What Sanchez said isn't necessarily that bad.  I don't think the deaths caused by drunk driving  (which are terrible and tragic) justify banning alcohol.

Guns kill way more people than drunk drivers, man.  And yet driving drunk or not is way more regulated.

Like I said... sick.

Not true (and not true).

Firearm murders, 2010: 8,775
Drunk driving deaths, 2010: 10,136 (and that's not counting deaths from OUIs with other drugs)

Touchy subject, but it's worth noting also that most firearm murders are violent criminals killing other violent criminals, while drunk driving deaths are generally innocents.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2015, 01:04:34 AM »

What Sanchez said isn't necessarily that bad.  I don't think the deaths caused by drunk driving  (which are terrible and tragic) justify banning alcohol.

Guns kill way more people than drunk drivers, man.  And yet driving drunk or not is way more regulated.

Like I said... sick.

Not true (and not true).

Firearm murders, 2010: 8,775
Drunk driving deaths, 2010: 10,136 (and that's not counting deaths from OUIs with other drugs)

Touchy subject, but it's worth noting also that most firearm murders are violent criminals killing other violent criminals, while drunk driving deaths are generally innocents.

True.  Mass shootings are also a very small percentage of total homicides.  That being said, I am very much in favor of both universal background checks, and potentially more gun control but also allowing teachers to carry guns in schools.  
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2015, 01:23:28 AM »

RIP. This happens way too often.

And if we shouldn't touch guns, then what should be done? Increase mental health funding? Well, good luck when one party is obsessed with cutting healthcare funding of all kinds. When one party refuses to fund extensive rehabilitation programs.  When one party refuses to consider almost all of the solutions, whether gun-related or not.

And this doesn't happen in other nations. What is the difference between other nations and the US?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2015, 02:24:04 AM »

I didn't say I agree with Sanzhez.  I favor universal background checks and stricter gun control.  I just meant that if he thinks guns are a right, I could see why he said what he said.  Believing that something ought to be legal does not equate to not caring about the loss of life that may result from it being legal.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 05:10:47 AM »

Like I said... sick.

Not true (and not true).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/americas-top-killing-machine/384440/

Furthermore...

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 05:11:37 AM »

Like I said... sick.

Not true (and not true).

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/americas-top-killing-machine/384440/

Furthermore...

#burn
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 08:23:43 AM »

2. the mythological "good guy" (i.e. private citizen) with a gun was once again nowhere to be found.

Correct.  It was a gun-free campus.  No armed good guys.

Incorrect. Where were the good guys with guns?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/10/breaking-mass-shooting-at-umpqua-college-in-oregon-10-dead-gunfree-zone/
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »

Glad I dont live in this weird country
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies