Oregon School Shooting - At Least 10 Dead (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:10:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oregon School Shooting - At Least 10 Dead (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oregon School Shooting - At Least 10 Dead  (Read 5384 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: October 01, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »

Not another one Sad
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:18:16 PM »

It's cute of you to pretend this is the only time anything of this sort has ever happened.
Ok. So it has happened like what, about 70 times in the last few decades? Do the actions of 70 people justify taking the guns away from millions of other Americans.

Your strawman was cute. Try harder.

There have been 70 school shootings in the past 2 years alone.

Of course, the right of an individual to own a firearm outweighs another individual's right to life in all cases. Because a constitutional amendment written by a bunch of paranoid revolutionaries in an era of muskets ought be universally applicable now.

Gun ownership should be a privilege with a high access bar. Not a right.
Ok. That doesn't change a thing about my point.

The right to life does not include the right not to get killed. You don't have a right to not be struck down by lightening. You don't have a right to not get killed in a car wreck. Rights fall flat in the face of acts of God or man or disasters. Your rights won't stop a bullet from tearing through your heart.

True, but most people expect the government or other authorities to strive to limit automobile accidents, through regulation and urban planning, and other such moves. Even though it is impossible to end gun violence, car accidents, food contamination etc. it seems fairly defeatist to say, eh, why bother? Why are guns so different? (Note I'm not talking about how effective individual measures are - gun control is one of those debates where everybody has an opinion far before they receive evidence - but simply questioning why guns occupy this special place in your mind. Is it for entirely constitutional reasons? Or something mor personal?

(Obviously, I know the traditions surrounding gun ownership in America that make it different from owing firearms in my country, so I don't wish to poke that hornets nest too hard...)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 03:28:11 PM »

From what I understand of the Supreme Court, they dislike striking past decisions down. It makes them look silly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies