1992 Election (The Hearse at Monticello)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:21:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1992 Election (The Hearse at Monticello)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: For President and Vice President
President Mario Cuomo (P-NY)/ Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (P-CA)

Mr. Patrick J. Buchanan (A-VA)/ Congressman Bob Dornan (A-CA)

Senator Richard Lugar (NL-IN)/ Senator Arlen Specter (NL-PA)

Vice President Ross Perot (R-TX)/ Governor William M. Clinton (R-AR)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: 1992 Election (The Hearse at Monticello)  (Read 2678 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 07:31:54 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »

Are we seriously going to have a President Pat Buchanan? Seriously, guys?
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »

Don't look at me, I voted for Pete Wilson in the primaries.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 11:10:04 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2015, 11:11:43 PM by VPH »

Oh God I voted Buchanan in the primary because I wanted to see the American party get demolished. And then this happens...
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »

Oh God I voted Buchanan in the primary because I wanted to see the American party get demolished. And then this happens...

Protip: Don't promote the archconservative, because the forum conservatives ALWAYS vote en mass for him. Vote for the boring mushy moderate instead.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »

I voted for The People's Pat and B-1 Bob in the primary and the general.  President Goldwater didn't start a nuclear apocalypse, so this will have to do Tongue
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 06:17:50 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2015, 06:54:43 PM by Senator Truman »

1992 Presidential Election

Mr. Patrick Buchanan (American-Virginia)/ Congressman Bob Dornan (American-California): 277 Electoral Votes; 43.2% popular votes
President Mario Cuomo (People's-New York)/ Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (People's-California): 246 Electoral Votes; 32.4% popular votes
Senator Richard Lugar (National Liberty-Indiana)/ Senator Arlen Specter (National Liberty-Pennsylvania): 15 Electoral Votes; 13.5% popular votes
Vice President Ross Perot (Reform-Texas)/ Governor William M. Clinton (Reform-Arkansas): 0 Electoral Votes; 10.8% popular votes

After his upset victory in the American Party primaries over establishment candidate Richard Lugar, Patrick J. Buchanan would go on to defeat incumbent President Mario Cuomo and two other candidates in the general election, becoming the first U.S. President to have never before held elective office. Buchanan's victory was made possible by a divided opposition: while 57% of Americans voted for a candidate other than Buchanan, these voters were split between three candidates, while Buchanan received the unanimous support of evangelicals and Goldwater conservatives. Thus, the People's Party was ousted from power just four years after reclaiming the White House, and the moderate wing of the American Party was sidelined forever.

An examination of the breakdown of the popular vote would demonstrate just how dependent Buchanan had been on the division of his opponents. In all but a few states, his margin of victory was under 50%, and in the key battleground of Texas he won by only a few thousand votes. Had Cuomo been his only opponent, he might have lost handily; but the candidacies of Ross Perot, who appealed to union members and Southerners who had traditionally been Populists, and Richard Lugar, who won votes from moderates who might otherwise have supported the president, allowed him to win states like Texas and Pennsylvania that had supported the Populists in 1988. Only in the West, where neither Lugar nor Perot have strong appeal, did Cuomo manage to win a decisive victory, and it was to these Western states that Buchanan's opponents would turn as his administration unfolded.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »

I have a hard time seeing 40% of Vermonters voting for Buchanan. Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 06:59:24 PM »

I have a hard time seeing 40% of Vermonters voting for Buchanan. Tongue

Good point - on second thought, Lugar is probably the best fit for Vermont of the four candidates, considering trends ITTL. The map has been changed accordingly.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »

while Buchanan received the unanimous support of evangelicals and Goldwater conservatives.

No he didn't. Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2015, 07:04:18 PM »

while Buchanan received the unanimous support of evangelicals and Goldwater conservatives.

No he didn't. Tongue

Fine, near unanimous.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »

I think the only positive thing coming out of this election will probably be the comedy goldmine of Vice-President Dornan's press conferences...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »

I think the only positive thing coming out of this election will probably be the comedy goldmine of Vice-President Dornan's press conferences...

You're welcome, America Tongue
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »

Don't look at me, I voted for Pete Wilson in the primaries.

Fellow Wilson voter here, and I'll be interested to see how the next four years pan out.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2015, 11:26:43 AM »

Pretty sure Perot won Arkansas
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »

Given Cuomo'a geographical base, I honestly see Buchanan picking up pluralities in northern plains stares and even Minnesota. Cuomo's a city boy, and the House vote against NAFTA was strongly centered in MT, the Dakotas, Canadian-bordering rust belt areas, and Northern New England.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »

He came close, but ultimately fell short due to a) a significant swath of the electorate reflexively voting straight Populist; and b) swing voters going heavily for Buchanan, who was able to cast himself as the "change" candidate in a way that the incumbent VP was not.

Given Cuomo'a geographical base, I honestly see Buchanan picking up pluralities in northern plains stares and even Minnesota. Cuomo's a city boy, and the House vote against NAFTA was strongly centered in MT, the Dakotas, Canadian-bordering rust belt areas, and Northern New England.

NAFTA doesn't exist ITTL. Cuomo's stance on free trade is similar to Obama's real life position on the Keystone pipeline: he hasn't openly disavowed it, but has hesitated enough to give activists a start. This, and his urban background, led him to win the Plains states by a much slimmer margin than Populist candidates before him, but the region's longstanding preference for Populist candidates has led to an unusually weak American Party structure in that part of the country, whereas the Populists have such a strong turnout machine that even a comparatively weak candidate starts out with a large advantage.

That said, if the Populists continue to nominate urban, socially liberal candidates like Cuomo who are less inclined to double down on farm subsidies, there could very well be a large shift in the future.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2015, 04:58:03 PM by DavidB. »

No he didn't. Tongue
Indeed, he didn't. Voted for Lugar in the primary and (strategically) for Cuomo in the general election.

As a Jew, a social moderate/fiscal conservative, and a supporter of free trade, this makes me switch support from the American Party to the People's Party in the (near) future as well.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2015, 10:57:54 PM »

PRESIDENT PAT! PRESIDENT PAT! PRESIDENT PAT!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies