How well-informed is this person?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:45:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How well-informed is this person?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How well-informed is this person?  (Read 1127 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2015, 11:41:09 PM »
« edited: October 03, 2015, 01:10:13 PM by Simfan34 »

-Reads the newspaper, a top-tier local paper like the LA Times or Chicago Tribune, on the commute to work daily, perhaps these days on his iPad
-Watches NBC Nightly News every evening, and one or two Sunday morning talk shows before Sunday breakfast/going to church
-Reads Time magazine or similar each week
-Reads 2-3 books a month
-Graduated cum laude from a first-rate state college
-Has a household income of $90,000, two kids and a renovated 1930s house in the inner suburbs of his metropolitan area (convenient to take the train to work and getting into the city-- not entirely sure why this is relevant)

Is this person well informed? Relative to the average voter? Relative to people with a similar profile? Relative to Atlas' expectations? How would they probably vote?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »

Certainly more informed than the average person.

As for how they would vote, you left out crucial variables such as race/ethnicity, age, gender and religion/religiosity.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 05:07:11 AM »

Very much so, at least much more than the average person.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »

I disagree with the above posters. Most people absorb the week's news story from twitter, reddit, forums, facebook, or wherever else they spend their internet time. The main difference here is ideological orientation of the news content. This person is almost certainly a liberal and proud of it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 09:54:03 PM »

Certainly well-informed, even if they might not know about the latest by-election in New Zealand. The person might lean Democratic, but I don't know for sure.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 09:59:31 PM »

As for how they would vote, you left out crucial variables such as race/ethnicity, age, gender and religion/religiosity.

White, Male, early middle age, mainline protestant, moderately religious.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »

Moderate Democrat who would vote for Bush or Kasich over Sanders, and who might vote for a capable, fairly moderate Republican senatorial candidate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 10:28:56 PM »

Then I'd say probably a moderate Republican, though I can see the case for him being a Democrat.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 09:30:02 AM »

Then I'd say probably a moderate Republican, though I can see the case for him being a Democrat.

He sounds like a Republican if this were 60 years ago.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 12:49:37 PM »

He sounds like a Republican if this were 60 years ago.

He's White, male and rich, those are pretty heavy markers for today's GOP. While Mainliners aren't the most Republican religious group anymore, there is still a good share of them who is.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2015, 01:15:13 PM by Simfan34 »

By mainline I more so mean "generic protestant", although he could very well be Catholic. It's not overly determinative. And he's not meant to be that rich. The average White household income is $79k, while Asian household income is $90k. He's not Asian, but it's middle-upper-middle class, or so I intended.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 01:30:35 PM »

True. I guess he could go either way depending on personal circumstances. In addition, living in an inner suburb is probably a factor pushing toward the Democrats (though it depends a lot from which metropolitan area).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2015, 01:51:42 PM by Torie »

Those two kids push me over to the Pub side. He's more likely than not a moderate Pub. A key piece of information that is missing, is what he does for a living. Is he a CPA, or a high school principal?

The 1930's renovated house smells Dem to me on the other hand. But then Muon2 lives in an old house, and so do I. Mine was built in 1870.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 04:51:54 PM »

Definitely more of a CPA, not a public employee.

The house was affordable, that's all I'll say. Under 400k. Perhaps he got more house and renovated it himself (cost-effective!) These are examples:

https://goo.gl/maps/2NuwgHCPhsm

https://goo.gl/maps/qCM1gt77L3m

https://goo.gl/maps/k8Nn7EZfCGL2

https://goo.gl/maps/4sJTeACcEtM2 (just to demonstrate how hypothetical this person is)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 09:33:39 PM »

The fact that he has kids and goes to church push it toward the Pubbies, but the combination of a renovated 1930s house in a wealthy neighborhood ("Affordable" is under $400k!? What in tarnation!?) that presumably reaches an urban area by train exudes latte liberal. There definitely are working class Republican inner suburbs that otherwise fit these criteria but the people who live in them aren't generally making $90k. For whatever reason liberals love the renovated historic boutique houses and conservatives only live there if those houses are overly abundant in the area or if the area is sufficiently culturally conservative that there aren't enough latte libs to go around.

Of course there is always the possibility that he's a Pubbie who happens to live in a Dem area and everything in this description would be consistent with that too. For starters, if we assume his wealthy liberal area votes 65-35 Dem, it wouldn't be at all unreasonable to think that chuchgoing men with children are in that 35%. Men in the neighborhood overall might be about 45% R to begin with.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »

-Reads the newspaper, a top-tier local paper like the LA Times or Chicago Tribune, on the commute to work daily, perhaps these days on his iPad
-Watches NBC Nightly News every evening, and one or two Sunday morning talk shows before Sunday breakfast/going to church
-Reads 2-3 books a month
-Has a household income of $90,000, two kids and a renovated 1930s house in the inner suburbs of his metropolitan area (convenient to take the train to work and getting into the city-- not entirely sure why this is relevant)

Is this person well informed? Relative to the average voter? Relative to people with a similar profile? Relative to Atlas' expectations? How would they probably vote?
Sounds like the type of guy that brings his wino of a wife to the fancy chinese restaurant that no Chinese people work at.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 09:48:32 PM »

Sounds like some sort of an awful normie "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" type.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 02:48:16 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2015, 02:55:28 AM by Simfan34 »

Sounds like some sort of an awful normie "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" type.

"Normie"?

-Reads 2-3 books a month

Sounds like the type of guy that brings his wino of a wife to the fancy chinese restaurant that no Chinese people work at.

http://chefho.com/

http://www.shanghaijazz.com/

Huh

I'm curious-- why is his wife assumed to be a wino?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »

The answer is that he certainly thinks he's more well-informed than the public at large.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies