Obama said that we have to take mass shootings as a routine.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:53:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama said that we have to take mass shootings as a routine.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama said that we have to take mass shootings as a routine.  (Read 5842 times)
Bro Rogers
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2015, 06:31:35 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-obama-speaks-oregon-shooting/story?id=34186663
What is the price for your life? Of the life of your kid?
Sorry to say that but now it costs 25 cents. That's is an average price of a bullet.
That's the first time in a while I agree with Obama. We're nothing left but to accept the fact that gun violence is a part of our life. Even if we live in a decent neighborhood.
The NRA wants us to think that we need firearm to protect ourselves. But honestly we need to ban weapon to protect us.
http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Mass_Shootings_in_2015
There have already been 294 mass shootings in the USA in 2015. There are 3 more months left. Do you want to get in a list?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 08:01:16 AM »

shorter op: Your rights end where my fears begin!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 10:54:28 AM »

But why do we have to accept mass shootings as routine? Other countries don't have to do that. I wonder why...
Bro Rogers
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »

But why do we have to accept mass shootings as routine? Other countries don't have to do that. I wonder why...
Cause we have to choose either we ban weapon for civilians or we get okay with mass shootings.
Personally I don't see other options
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 11:59:59 AM »

Sadly, he's right.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 12:45:41 PM »

Cause we have to choose either we ban weapon for civilians or we get okay with mass shootings.

That seems like a false ultimatum, surely there's other countries that still have civilian gun ownership (with sensible regulation), yet doesn't have as ridiculously high level of gun violence and mass shootings as the US. I'm not the biggest fan of guns, but I don't want to ban them all (that would never work in today's politics anyway).
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »

Obama said it's horrific that so many people have become numb to it and treat it as routine.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 05:57:55 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2015, 05:59:32 AM by politicus »

That seems like a false ultimatum, surely there's other countries that still have civilian gun ownership (with sensible regulation), yet doesn't have as ridiculously high level of gun violence and mass shootings as the US. I'm not the biggest fan of guns, but I don't want to ban them all (that would never work in today's politics anyway).

Nobody have as many guns as Americans, but atlas Switzerland/Austria and Finland/Norway/Sweden/Iceland have widespread gun ownership without high gun violence, probably also Uruguay (IIRC). Canadian and NZ gun violence is also quite low.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »

"We need guns to fight tyranny!"

Tunisia: overthrows tyrant without any guns.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »

"We need guns to fight tyranny!"

Tunisia: overthrows tyrant without any guns.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »

Gun violence is basically normalized is what he's saying, which is an embarrassing truth. It was normal in the West up into the 20th century - mainly because of lawlessness. Why is complex, but now I suspect it has a great deal to do with education, socioeconomics, stability or lack thereof, and for whatever psychological reasons, people see shooting sprees as a way to lash out, usually as some sort of self-destruct mechanism. Pretty much always males and they often shoot themselves at the end of it, or shoot until they're killed, and this goes back to the early 20th century. Check out Ma Barker and her gang's end during the bank robber days.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 05:11:25 PM »

Nobody have as many guns as Americans, but atlas Switzerland/Austria and Finland/Norway/Sweden/Iceland have widespread gun ownership without high gun violence, probably also Uruguay (IIRC). Canadian and NZ gun violence is also quite low.

Even Switzerland only has half as many guns as the US.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 05:15:28 PM »

How well does this chart reflect private ownership? Very surprised at Saudi Arabia, if this is mostly private ownership.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »

Gun violence is basically normalized is what he's saying

I agree.  It has something to do with the settlement patterns and history.  It doesn't really make sense to throw up charts with Cyprus and Serbia and Finland and try to make any points relevant to Obama's comments.  Throw up a chart of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, if you want a good comparison.   

We are a very violent society.  Our nation's existence owes itself to a violent and illegal insurrection.  Jeb Bush and Barack Obama seem to recognize this.  Actually, outside this forum many grown-ups recognize this as well.  I've had a number of real-life conversations with real-life people about this and most people think that the new normal is really the old normal.  Of course, the guns have higher muzzle velocities now, and news travels faster now, but the basic pattern remains.  Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.  N'est-ce pas?

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »

Gun violence is basically normalized is what he's saying

I agree.  It has something to do with the settlement patterns and history.  It doesn't really make sense to throw up charts with Cyprus and Serbia and Finland and try to make any points relevant to Obama's comments.  Throw up a chart of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, if you want a good comparison.  

We are a very violent society.  Our nation's existence owes itself to a violent and illegal insurrection.  Jeb Bush and Barack Obama seem to recognize this.  Actually, outside this forum many grown-ups recognize this as well.  I've had a number of real-life conversations with real-life people about this and most people think that the new normal is really the old normal.  Of course, the guns have higher muzzle velocities now, and news travels faster now, but the basic pattern remains.  Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.  N'est-ce pas?

That we basically value or are violent resonates with me.

For ex., I went out West in 2007 and 2009 and overall had a great time. Loved the trails, the hiking, the caverns, the canyons, etc. But I was, being from the northeast, a little surprised at how much the whole area really embraces their gunfighters, rogues, villains, self-made tough guys, shootouts, and overall violence. Several towns I was in regularly re-inacted brawls, killings, and shootouts for public spectacle. I guess it's kind of cool to see guys in Victorian garb yelling and shooting at each other with prop guns (hell yeah!), but it's certainly not a new idea that we have more of a fascination/admiration for that then we do, say, discovery, like the Moon landing. We love our violence in America. We also are a relatively new country in the overall scheme of things, so why we love violence is complex, but I think we have a more positive view of it than older countries who have Inquisitions and so forth as their history. IDK. I've already had my share of pomegranate liqueur. Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 01:03:45 AM »

How well does this chart reflect private ownership? Very surprised at Saudi Arabia, if this is mostly private ownership.

Really? Because I'm not.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 05:44:22 PM »

Yes! If we ban guns, we can have all the criminals turn over their guns and knowledge of how to make them, along with a black market for such! It's not like only law-abiding citizens would turn their guns over and be left defenseless.

In other words:
shorter op: Your rights end where my fears begin!
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 10:21:34 PM »

Yes! If we ban guns, we can have all the criminals turn over their guns and knowledge of how to make them, along with a black market for such! It's not like only law-abiding citizens would turn their guns over and be left defenseless.

Well darn, I guess we should just give up on having laws altogether since criminals aren't going to follow any of them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies