Roseanne v Cosby Show
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:01:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Roseanne v Cosby Show
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Roseanne or Cosby?
Roseanne

Cosby Show

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Roseanne v Cosby Show  (Read 664 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
« edited: October 02, 2015, 10:08:35 PM by Green Line »

Two very similar shows airing around the same time period.  And they are also two of the most popular re-run shows.  One a working class white family in Illinois and the other an upper middle class black family in NYC.  They were both revolutionary in some ways.  Which one did you prefer watching and why?

Personally I have to go with the hometown team here and say Roseanne. They were big Bears fans too and the show had lots of Bears shout outs Wink

Edit: Also ignore your personal feelings about Cosby, just the show please
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 10:10:18 PM »

Roseanne, easily.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 11:04:41 PM »

Roseanne was (generally) better written and better acted.  John Goodman, by himself, makes the show better than the Cosby Show.  Roseanne, Gilbert and better guest stars seals the deal.  Sure, DJ sucked, and the last season was stupid, but again, John Goodman.

I heard someone say recently, can't remember who, that every Cosby Show episode was the same.....one of the kids would have a good idea, and Bill would spend 23 minutes explaining to them why it was bad idea.  I haven't seen the show since it's original run (and not regularly then), but that sounds about right.  He was, no doubt about it, a comedic genius.  His early stand up (well, sit down in his case, but whatever) is great and some of the best ever done.  The man can tell a story almost as good as he can spike a drink.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »

I liked both, but Roseanne was funnier and more relatable (except for the last season, through the last episode was pure genius and heart breaking), and that had nothing to do with skin colour, but it had everything to do with Cosby himself, while the rest of his sitcom family was some of the most real human I have seen in a sitcom, Mr. Huxtable was almost always right and obvious lived in a sitcom. Roseanne and her family on the other hand, in that all of them was real people, and actions had consequences. The Huxtable's always returned to the status quo or improved on it, while among the Conners things could get worse (and often did).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »

Roseanne was arguably the only decent sitcom in TV history. How can I not vote for Roseanne?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 12:12:17 PM »

Wow, looks like Roseanne is one thing that brings Republicans and Democrats together, its unanimous! The Cosby Show actually has a higher rating on imdb.
Untergang des Abendlandes
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »

Roseanne was a cool chick. Best barr none.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 05:28:45 PM »

Two very similar shows airing around the same time period.  And they are also two of the most popular re-run shows.  One a working class white family in Illinois and the other an upper middle class black family in NYC.  They were both revolutionary in some ways.  Which one did you prefer watching and why?

Personally I have to go with the hometown team here and say Roseanne. They were big Bears fans too and the show had lots of Bears shout outs Wink

Edit: Also ignore your personal feelings about Cosby, just the show please

LOL. Did you have a crystal ball when you were making poll? I thought this thread was - for obvious reasons - only one or two years old... 🤣
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 05:21:54 PM »

Cosby Show, however as popular as Phylisha and Bill Cosby were they did a spin off on CBS that didn't last long.

They should of done something else on BET to make their image longer lasting.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »

They both aged horribly, but I did watch 'Roseanne' when I was younger. So I guess it wins for nostalgia reasons mostly.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:05:32 PM »

Cosby Show.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies