Election 2000 and Beyond: Clinton impeached, resigns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:44:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election 2000 and Beyond: Clinton impeached, resigns
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Election 2000 and Beyond: Clinton impeached, resigns  (Read 13693 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2015, 11:32:05 PM »

May 17, 1998 - President Clinton resigns

WASHINGTON, DC - Faced with the prospect of being the second President in history to face impeachment, President Bill Clinton announced that he would resign as President of the United States effective June 1, 1998. Vice President Al Gore would become the 43rd President of the United States.

June 1, 1998 - Al Gore sworn in as President

WASHINGTON, DC - Vice President Al Gore was sworn in as America's 43rd President. Gore pledged to "finish the job" of the Clinton administration.

June 4, 1998 - Braun sworn in as Vice President
WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. Senator Carol Moseley Braun (D-IL) was sworn in as Vice President of the United States.

August 21, 1998 - Al Gore signs historic bi-partisan medicare reform into law

WASHINGTON, DC - President Al Gore signed into law the Medicare Reform Act of 1998, a bill the Clinton and Gore administrations had been working on with House Speaker Newt Gingrich for well over a year. The measure applied means-testing to medicare and gave state's greater flexibility over the program while cracking down on medicare fraud and allowing seniors to pool together to purchase affordable prescription drug coverage.

November 5, 1998 - Republicans retain control of U.S. Senate and Congress

WASHINGTON, DC - House and Senate Republicans maintained control of both houses of congress. Exit polls gave the Republican congress a 42% approval rating, while House Speaker Newt Gingrich's approval ratings surged from 38% in August to 44%. President Al Gore polled as having a 57% approval rating. Of all the votes cast nationwide, Republicans won 50% to Democrats 49%.

November 23, 1998 - Conservative House Republicans plan to defeat Gingrich, throw support behind Delay

WASHINGTON, DC - 77 House Republicans signed a letter to House Speaker Newt Gingrich informing him that he had "not stood his ground" on issues ranging from tax policy to medicare during his time as House Speaker. House Majority Whip Tom DeLay announced he would challenge Gingrich for the position of House Speaker, arguing that Gingrich was "more interested in working with Al Gore than conservatives in Congress."

December 1, 1998 - Gingrich defeats DeLay, but GOP brand damaged in new poll

WASHINGTON, DC - In a vote 127-100, House Speaker Newt Gingrich defeated House Majority Whip Tom DeLay to become House Speaker for another term. 77 conservatives and 23 Republicans who disapproved of Gingrich's performance opposed Gingrich. A new poll out showed that while Newt Gingrich's approval rating across the nation remained unchanged, the Republican Party's approval ratings fell from 48% in August to 39%.

January 4, 1999 - Bayh to challenge Gore for 2000 Democratic Presidential Nomination

SOUTH BEND, IN - Governor of Indiana Evan Bayh declared he would seek the Democratic nomination for President in 2000. "I run for President because both parties in Washington have failed to focus on the needs of middle class Americans. Our parents deserve greater accountability from our schools, teachers, police, and firefighters deserve better pay, our families deserve much needed tax relief, and we need to have an American energy policy for crying out loud, and the politicians in Washington talk, I have delivered for Indiana and I will for this nation" Bayh stated.

January 15, 1999 - Sources: Bush, Dole to take pass on 2000 presidential bid

WASHINGTON, DC - Despite being considered their party's front-runners for the 2000 presidential nomination, sources close to Governor George W. Bush of Texas and Former Red Cross President Elizabeth Dole said both would not run for President in 2000. A source close to Bush said that the Texas Governor didn't believe running against Al Gore was a viable option. "Governor Bush knows running against an incumbent President isn't easy, he is likely going to sit this race out" the source close to Bush said. For Dole's part, the source stated that, "Secretary Dole is not comfortable running in an environment where Republicans are losing in polls."

February 2, 1999 - McCain enters Presidential Race

PHOENIX, AZ - U.S. Senator John McCain of Arizona became the first Republican to formally enter the 2000 presidential race, arguing that he could bridge the partisan divide in both parties and change the political system. "I know that the American people want and deserve a President committed to a balanced budget amendment to the constitution, tax cuts for middle and lower income families, getting money out of politics, and defending this country. We need and deserve a President who can bridge the partisan divide that plaques are politics. I am confident I will be that President, I have the experience to lead, and I can beat Al Gore and unite our country" McCain told a large, enthusiastic audience. 

February 15, 1999 - Bush bows out, Establishment scrambles

AUSTIN, TX - Governor George W. Bush of Texas announced that he would not be a candidate for President in the 2000 election. The son of Former President George Bush, Bush stated that, "I was elected Governor to serve as Governor, not run for President." Sources close to Bush stated that Bush had considered running for President as early as January 1998, but became skeptical when faced with the prospect of facing an incumbent President in Al Gore following Bill Clinton's resignation. Bush reportedly made a decision in December 1998 not to run. The GOP establishment, which was urging Bush to run, now must find a "consensus candidate" another source stated. 
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:50:41 AM »

Well then...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 02:01:09 AM »

I have a good idea of how this looks to be going.

Besides G., the Democratic primaries look interesting. Will Lieberman jump in and run to Bayh's right? Will Dean catch fire? Excellent writing, dudeabides!
AussieLaborite
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 06:21:08 AM »

This Is Interesting.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 04:54:41 PM »

I have a good idea of how this looks to be going.

Besides G., the Democratic primaries look interesting. Will Lieberman jump in and run to Bayh's right? Will Dean catch fire? Excellent writing, dudeabides!

Thank you!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:00:36 PM »

It's time for the second Hoosier president. God forbid that Dan Quayle should be the last person from Indiana elected to national office.

I look forward to future updates!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 05:21:20 PM »

February 18, 1999 - Trump to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

MANCHESTER, NH - Billionaire Donald Trump announced he would seek the 2000 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "I'm running for President because I think the growing gap between rich and poor is unacceptable. Our President is a politician, he's not a businessman, he's a talker not a doer, and we need leadership, I'm a leader, I'll get things done, we'll cover people with health care, we'll pay down the national debt, we'll help improve our schools, and we will help everyone live the American dream" Trump stated.

March 2, 1999 - Pataki launches presidential bid

ALBANY, NY - Governor of New York George Pataki announced he would be a candidate for President in 2000. "I believe that the way to beat Al Gore is by having a Washington outsider with a proven record of getting things done" Pataki stated. "I have cut taxes, cracked down on crime, supported more funding for education but with greater choice, I know how to lead" Pataki added.

March 12, 1999 - Giuliani seeking presidency

NEW YORK, NY - Mayor Rudy Giuliani announced he would seek his party's presidential nomination in 2000. "I'm a new kind of Republican, I believe in fiscal disipline and a strong national defense, but I also believe that our party should be consistently for limited government, even in the area of same-sex rights and abortion" Giuliani told reporters. "I have a record of getting things done in New York City, I think I would be a more effective leader than our current President who up until now hasn't led a single thing" the Mayor added.

March 15, 1999 - Elizabeth Dole won't seek Presidency

DES MOINES, IA - Former U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole announced she would not seek the Republican Presidential Nomination in 2000.

April 5, 1999 - Alexander to seek 2000 GOP Presidential Nomination

NASHVILLE, TN - Former U.S. Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander declared he would be a candidate for President in the 2000 election. "Whether it be protecting human life, rebuilding our military, fighting for a balanced budget amendment to the constitution, or returning power to the states, our next President must lead with moral clarity and by forging consensus. Our next President can't be someone from the Washington political class, we must elect an outsider" Alexander declared.

May 1, 1999 - Dan Quayle running for President

HUNTINGTON, IN - Former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle declared his intention to seek the 2000 Republican Presidential Nomination. "I believe the next President of the United States has to restore integrity to the white house, has to restore moral authority to our foreign policy, has to fight for traditional values, and must fight for lower taxes and limited government" Quayle told enthusiastic supporters in his home town.

June 2, 1999 - Keyes running for President

IOWA CITY, IA - Former Ambassador Alan Keyes declared his second presidential bid. Keyes argued that, "Our Republican Party has done nothing but appease this President despite having the moral authority to lead. When I'm your nominee, there won't be a question as to how I'll lead, I'll be a conservative, not just a Republican" Keyes declared.

June 5, 1999 - Robertson to again seek Presidency

Televangelist Pat Robertson announced he would once again seek the Republican Presidential Nomination. "Our party must stand strong for the pro-life position and to preserve our values. We have to protect our kids, especially after our 42nd President betrayed what is the most sacred of institutions in our society, marriage, and he betrayed this nation" Roberts declared.

June 8, 1999 - Poll: Quayle undisputed GOP front-runner, Trump not far behind Gore

GOP Nomination
Dan Quayle 49%
Rudy Giuliani 20%
Lamar Alexander 18%
John McCain 7%
Pat Robertson 2%
George Pataki 1%
Alan Keyes 1%

Democratic Nomination

Al Gore 50%
Donald Trump 38%
Evan Bayh 11%
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:59:41 PM »

Guiliani-McCain 2000!

What's Dean up to?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:35:16 PM »

Guiliani-McCain 2000!

What's Dean up to?

Dean is still Governor for the time being, until he leaves office. Will he run for President? Will he appear in this timeline? Stay tuned....
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »

Trump is a Democrat here? I guess he is flexible...
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 09:20:49 PM »

October 7, 1999 - GOP Candidates participate in first primary season debate

"We are not going to beat Al Gore if we just recycle the same ideas from 1996 and 1992. Our party has principles, yes. We believe in limited government and as President, I would fight to reduce taxes by 25% across the board on personal income and capital gains. I'd fight against government-run health care and protective tariffs supported by Democrats in congress. But when it comes to a woman's right to choose, or rights for same-sex couples, I believe our party must take a stance that says government should get out of the way, we have to be consistent, and that's how we win and more importantly, that's how we govern. Unfortunately, what I hear from Dan Quayle and some of the others is, let's continue to tell people how to live their lives." - George Pataki

"In New York City, I reduced taxes dramatically, reduced spending, took on crime of all sorts, and we managed to see unemployment cut by roughly half, crime reduced by 53%, and welfare rolls are half of what they were five years ago. I think my experience as a Mayor, as a top justice official in the Reagan administration, and as a prosecutor would enable me to go to Washington with a different attitude. I have proposed a tax cut for small businesses and middle and lower income Americans that would be the largest middle class tax cut in history, I have called for not only balancing the budget, but reversing the spending increases we've seen under Bill Clinton and Al Gore. I also want to reverse the cuts we've made to our military and I'll focus on making sure we remain a leader in the world. I'll also have a justice department that aggressively prosecutes corruption in government, I believe leadership is about doing what's right and being held to a higher standard" - Rudy Giuliani

"President Clinton's resignation should be a wakeup call for our country. It's important that we elect leaders who believe in the constitution, believe in the rule of law, who will be a role-model for our children, and who believe in the most sacred commitments in our society. Al Gore is a good family man, but we need a President who will defend human life, traditional marriage, and who believes that the almighty blessed each of us with certain rights that come from God and not government. My presidency will be dedicated to ending the oppressive income tax, ending abortion, reversing Don't Ask Don't Tell, and protecting the American people's rights to keep and bear arms. I will make a moral argument to win this election because if we make an economic one, we will lose" - Alan Keyes

"I'm running for President of the United States because I believe I have the experience on both foreign and domestic policy to lead this nation. In the U.S. Senate, I fought for strict constructionist judges and for the Reagan tax cuts. As Vice President, I worked with George Bush to drive Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait and to promote free trade across the globe. As President, I'll fight for a 15% flat tax, a constitutional amendment to balance the budget, a 10% across-the-board spending reduction on all non-defense spending, I'll fight to rebuild our military to where it was when I left office as Vice President, I will end the Department of Education, and I will appoint conservative judges and re-instate President Reagan's Mexico City policy, it's disgraceful Bill Clinton and Al Gore reversed it. This election is about experience, it's about protecting our national security interests, and it's about limiting the size and scope of the federal government" - Dan Quayle

"My fellow Americans, I run for President of the United States because I believe that the special interests have gotten too comfortable with the politicians in Washington. While it's true I've spent a good part of my adult life in Washington, I've been a leader to end earmark spending, pay down our national debt, and get money out of the political process. The year 2000 is a time for choosing, and I will offer Americans a clear choice. Al Gore claims he supports campaign finance reform, but he's accepted millions of dollars from lobbyists, including the real estate lobby, construction lobbies, and solar energy lobbies. He's accepted $12 million from lobbyists in the last six months, I've accepted not one penny from the special interests. If you want to reform our campaign finance system, pay down our national debt, and preserve medicare and social security, I'm your candidate" - John McCain

"This election is about the future of our country. The President and I are both from Tennessee, but he's spent most of his life in Washington D.C. I've served as a Governor, a University President, and as Secretary of Education. I served in Washington for a brief time, but most of my life has been spent around everyday Americans. We need to return power back to states, we need to block-grant funding for things like HUD and Education, and we need to reduce taxes. The next President of the United States must be prepared to take bold steps to help broaden prosperity. That means reversing excessive regulations and rules, moving to a tax code with lower rates and fewer loopholes, and it means trade policies that are both free and fair. It means legal reform and a real energy policy for our nation's future. But most of all, it means we need a President who realizes that the President is the commander-in-chief of the military, but not of states and individuals" - Lamar Alexander

"When I ran for President in 1988, the pundits and the political establishment said I'd go nowhere. They were wrong because I said very clearly that I would stand up for the pro-life position and against our culture of exploitation of young people. I said I'd protect our kids and support school choice. I did a lot better than anyone expected. I'm running for President again on the same exact platform, but this is not the same year. Bill Clinton has betrayed our trust and corrupted our children. Al Gore has done absolutely nothing to right that wrong, he is continuing all of Clinton's policies and he has not apologized to our children for the failures of his predecessor. Instead, he has defended President Clinton's immoral actions. I want to make the argument that our nation is losing it's moral high ground and we must restore that. Dan Quayle and Lamar Alexander refuse to make that argument because they are making Newt Gingrich's argument, I am making the people's argument" - Pat Robertson  
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »

October 22, 1999 - GOP Sources: Establishment for Alexander

WASHINGTON, DC - Three sources close to major establishment Republicans agree that Former Tennessee Governor and Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander has the most establishment support in the GOP field for President. "Backers of Bob Dole and George Bush's past campaigns are supporting Lamar Alexander more than any other Republican candidate because they view him as non-controversial and the best able to win a general election because he's not too far right" one source stated. Another source said that while most would predict Dan Quayle to be the establishment candidate, most in the Republican establishment question his electability and fitness for the job. "When you look at George Bush's top 20 campaign fundraisers and contributors from 1988, more than 80% of them are supporting Lamar, they view Dan Quayle as unelectable because he's gaffe-prone, and some were unhappy he was George Bush's running-mate in 1988, they won't support him now" the source stated. A third source, a fundraiser for multiple Republican leaders, said he is not happy with the GOP field, but he likes Lamar Alexander. "Had Governor Bush run, I would have supported him, but I like Lamar Alexander - he's more moderate than Dan Quayle but he understands both Republican voters and the American people well" the source stated.

November 1, 1999 - Poll shows Gore with solid lead, Quayle and Alexander as GOP front-runners

GOP Nomination
Dan Quayle 33%
Lamar Alexander 33%
Rudy Giuliani 20%
Alan Keyes 8%
Pat Robertson 3%
John McCain 1%
George Pataki 1%
Other / Undecided 1%

Democratic Nomination
Al Gore 65%
Donald Trump 20%
Evan Bayh 14%
Other / Undecided 1%

November 25, 1999 - President Gore launches re-election campaign

DES MOINES, IA - With two months to go until voters began voting, President Al Gore announced he would be a candidate for re-election as President. "Under the last two administrations, our economy has added 18 million jobs, we've balanced the budget for the first time in a generation, we've delivered new tax relief, we've reformed welfare, and we've expanded health care coverage to more of our kids, that's a record I will run on and I am proud to run on" the President stated.

December 5, 1999 - Presidential Endorsements to Date

Al Gore
House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt
House Miniority Whip David E. Bonior
U.S. Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle
Former U.S. Vice President Walter Mondale
Governor of Vermont Howard Dean
U.S. Senator Bob Graham of Florida
U.S. Senator Joe Biden of Delaware
U.S. Senator Chris Dodd of Connecticut
Governor of Iowa Tom Vilsack
Governor of New Hampshire Jeanne Shaheen
Governor of South Carolina Jim Hodges
The entire Democratic Congressional Caucuses of Iowa, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida, and California

Donald Trump
Reverend Al Sharpton
Reverend Jesse Jackson

Evan Bayh
U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut
Former Governor Zell Miller of Georgia
Former U.S. Senator Gary Hart of Colorado

Dan Quayle
Governor George W. Bush of Texas
Former President George Bush
Former First Lady Barbara Bush
Governor Jeb Bush of Florida
Former U.S. Secretary of State James Baker
Former U.S. Senator Dan Coats of Indiana
U.S. Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana

Lamar Alexander
House Majority Leader Dick Armey
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott
Former Republican Presidential Nominee and U.S. Senator Bob Dole of Kansas
Former U.S. Transportation Secretary Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina
U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa
Former Governor Terry Brandstad of Iowa
U.S. Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire
Congressman J.C. Watts of Oklahoma
Congressman John Kasich of Ohio
U.S. Senator Fred Thompson of Tennessee
U.S. Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee
U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas
U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas
The entire Republican Congressional Caucuses of Tennessee and Michigan

Rudy Giuliani
Congressman Peter King of New York
Governor Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania
U.S. Senator John Ashcroft of Missouri
Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean
Former U.S. Attorney General Edwin Meese
Retired General Collin Powell

John McCain
U.S. Senator Jon Kyl of Arizona
Congressman Lindsey Graham of South Carolina

George Pataki
Former U.S. Senator Al D'Amato of New York
Governor of New Jersey Christie Todd Whitman

Alan Keyes
U.S. Senator James Inholfe of Oklahoma
Former Congressman Bob Dornan of California 

Pat Robertson
Social Conservative Activist Gary Bauer
National Right to Life

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 11:17:26 PM »

January 5, 2000 - Democratic candidates debate in South Carolina

"I'm very proud of the fact that since 1993, our economy has added over 16 million jobs, we've reformed welfare, we've balanced the budget for the first time in decades, we've cut taxes on working families, we banned dangerous assault weapons, and we've expanded health care access to millions of children. A full term affords me the opportunity to fight for those things I believe in. I believe in smaller class sizes and strong teacher accountability, I believe in protecting social security and medicare, I believe in appointing judges who will protect a woman's right to choose, and I believe that we have to find ways to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy and combat global warming in the process. This election is about leadership and experience, I've proven to the American people I have both" - Al Gore

"The politicians in Washington have failed to get trade deals to help make our country rich, they've failed to cover our people with health insurance, they've failed to properly care for our veterans, and they have failed to bridge the gap between rich and poor in our country. I want all Americans to be rich and live lives where they don't have to worry about the cost of getting sick, gun violence, or falling behind financially. Leading great companies is what I do, and as President, I'll lead a great country. The President and the Republicans believe in trade agreements that ship your jobs overseas, my first order of business as President will be to reverse NAFTA and other trade agreements that have hurt American manufacturing in a major way. The President and the Republicans in congress won't fight to cover every American with health care by raising the capital gains tax for those who are very wealthy or eliminating our national debt in the next decade by implementing a one time 10.75% tax on incomes and profits above $10 million, but I will and I will actually have to pay the tax" - Donald Trump

"Democrats deserve a choice in this election, the American people deserve a choice in this election. The folks in Washington continue to increase our national debt while under-funding education, health care, and infrastructure investments all in the name of balancing the budget. In Indiana, I increased funding for education $200 million, expanded health care coverage to 80% of our uninsured children, invested $100 million more into our roads each year, and we still cut taxes and balanced the budget. We prioritized - we spent more on health care, education, and our roads and less on pork projects, corporate subsidies, and we reduced the size of our state workforce. That's the kind of leadership we need in Washington. We should balance our budget, but also give more funding back to state's for health care and education, and we must invest in our roads. If we reduce the size of the federal workforce via attrition, if we end congressional earmarks, and if we eliminate corporate tax loopholes, we can accomplish all of that" - Evan Bayh

January 18, 2000 - Trump ad in New Hampshire accuses Gore of "conceding to Republicans"

MANCHESTER, NH - Billionaire Donald Trump, Democratic Presidential Candidate, began running an ad in New Hampshire over and over accusing President Al Gore of "caving" to Republicans on issues such as health care, taxes, and trade policy. The ad questioned Gore's liberal credentials and portray Mr. Trump as a "progressive champion" fighting for universal health care, reversal of NAFTA, and stronger federal anti-gun legislation.

January 27, 2000 - Gore campaign forced to respond to Trump following new polling in New Hampshire

DOVER, NH - Just days before the New Hampshire Democratic Presidential Primary, President Al Gore responded to a campaign ad blitz paid for by Donald Trump's presidential campaign accusing the President of "caving" to Republicans. "We passed a ban on assault weapons, we increased funding for children's health care, we've appointed judges who will protect a woman's right to choose all while most Republicans objected, but I have worked with Speaker Gingrich and his party and I'll continue to do so for the good of the country" the President stated.

February 4, 2000 - Gore, Quayle win Iowa Caucus

DES MOINES, IA - Former Vice President Dan Quayle and President Al Gore claimed victory in their party's respective Iowa Caucuses. On the Republican side, Quayle defeated Former Education Secretary Lamar Alexander 36%-32%, with Pat Robertson, who won the 1988 Iowa Caucus, in a distant third with just 20%. On the Democratic side, President Gore defeated Donald Trump and Indiana Governor Evan Bayh 60%-27%-10% respectively.

February 11, 2000 - Gore, Alexander win New Hampshire as Trump makes strong showing

CONCORD, NH - President Al Gore won New Hampshire's Democratic Presidential Primary, but not by as wide a margin as pollsters had predicted. Gore defeated Billionaire Donald Trump 50%-35%, most pollsters had Gore ahead by as much as 50% just weeks before the primary. On the Republican side, Former Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander defeated Former Vice President Dan Quayle, Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York City, and U.S. Senator John McCain, who had campaigned heavily in New Hampshire, 27%-23%-21%-18% respectively.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 02:56:22 AM »

Go Quayle!
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »

Interesting. No Dubya in the GOP nomination and Trump is affiliated with the Democrats.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 11:18:41 PM »

February 15, 2000 - Gore, Alexander win South Carolina, Alaska Primaries as Bayh

CHARLESTON, SC - President Al Gore won decisive victories in presidential primaries in South Carolina and Alaska. He garnered over 70% of the vote in both of them. Governor of Indiana Evan Bayh withdrew from the presidential race and endorsed President Gore. On the Republican side, Former Education Secretary Lamar Alexander defeated Former Vice President Dan Quayle 37%-33% in South Carolina's GOP Presidential Primary, and he defeated Quayle 40%-29% in Alaska's Republican Presidential Caucus.

February 18, 2000 - Gore, Quayle claim victory in Michigan

LANSING, MI - President Al Gore defeated Billionaire Donald Trump 75%-24% to win Michigan's Democratic Presidential Primary and Former Vice President Dan Quayle defeated Former Education Secretary Lamar Alexander and Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani 35%-30%-25% respectively in Michigan.

February 19, 2000 - McCain ends presidential bid, backs Rudy Giuliani

PHOENIX, AZ - U.S. Senator John McCain of Arizona ended his 2000 presidential bid and endorsed fellow candidate Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York City, calling Giuliani "the leader we need to bridge the partisan divide."

February 25, 2000 - Gore wins Delaware, Louisiana Primaries as Quayle, Alexander split victories, Robertson withdrawals

DOVER, DE - President Al Gore defeated Billionaire Donald Trump in Delaware's Democratic Presidential Primary 87%-10% and in Louisiana's Democratic Presidential Primary 82%-17%. On the GOP side, Former Vice President Dan Quayle narrowly defeated Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani 33%-32% in Delaware's GOP Presidential Primary as Former Education Secretary Lamar Alexander defeated Quayle in Louisiana's GOP Presidential Primary 47%-29%. Pat Robertson ended his presidential bid and endorsed Lamar Alexander.

As a dozen states voted for their presidential preference, four candidates were able to claim victories. President Al Gore claimed decisive victories in all but one state, and he won all 12 states voting. Gore decisively won his home state of Tennessee, Ohio, North Dakota, Missouri, Indiana, Oregon, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey,and Oklahoma. He also narrowly defeated Donald Trump 50%-48% in New York. On the GOP side, Lamar Alexander claimed victories in his home state of Tennessee, Missouri, Oregon, Maine, and Oklahoma. Dan Quayle secured victories in his home state of Indiana, Ohio, Hawaii, and North Dakota. Rudy Giuliani claimed victories in his home state of New York and neighboring New Jersey. After failing to win their home state of New York, both Billionaire Donald Trump and Governor of New York George Pataki ended their presidential bids.

March 2, 2000 - President Gore, Vice President Braun hold general election kick-off rally in Florida, attack GOP front-runners

"In the last eight years, we have worked hard to balance our budget, cut taxes, reform welfare, ban dangerous assault weapons, expand health care access for our kids, and put more police on our streets. But don't think for one second our work is done. Our economy is the strongest it has been in history, our country is at peace, but for far too many, the American dream remains out of reach. Far too many of our kids are in failing schools, teachers don't have the proper equipment to educate our kids, we have an epidemic of drugs affecting communities across this country, our planet and climate is changing, and not for the better, because of human activity, and too many guns end up in the hands of criminals. This election affords Americans a clear choice. We can acknowledge and build on the success of the last eight years while meeting new challenges, or we can go in the direction Dan Quayle and Lamar Alexander want to bring us in - the direction of rehashing debates that took place a generation ago. They offer tax cuts, I offer leadership and experience. We will win this election on a positive vision for the future. Our vision is clear. Continue the economy growth of the last eight years. Provide health care to every child in America. Work with the international community to reduce greenhouse gases to combat global warming. Ensure that students are in smaller class sizes and reward merit for our teachers. Pass a universal background check and finally, finally close the gun show loophole. Balance the federal budget, cut taxes for working families, and stop the Republicans from raiding social security. That is our vision, and I have the experience to get us there" - President Al Gore

March 9, 2000 - Alexander wins California, Utah GOP Primaries

SALT LAKE CITY, UT - Former Education Secretary Lamar Alexander won Presidential Primaries in California and Utah. In California, Alexander defeated Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Former Vice President Dan Quayle 34%-30%-28% respectively, while he defeated Quayle 60%-32% in Utah.

March 12, 2000 - Giuliani withdrawals from Presidential Race

NEW YORK, NY - Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York City announced he was ended his 2000 presidential bid.

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 12:48:16 PM »

RUDY! RUDY! WE WANT RUDY! Giuliani 2000!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »

March 12, 2000 - Ahead of three contests, Alexander, Quayle, Keyes debate, trade barbs

"I have spent the last year talking about the need to reduce taxes with a tax cut plan that replaces our current six tax brackets with four - 28%, 14%, 10%, and for those earning below $42,000 per year, zero. I eliminate corporate loopholes and cap deductions as well. I've talked about sending funding for roughly a third of the federal government back to states and reducing the size of government to it's smallest level in two decades via attrition. I've talked about legal reform that caps damages and ends the practice of our doctor's practicing defensive medicine, which would reduce health care costs by an average of $1,200 each year. What I'm proposing is different than what Al Gore proposes. He proposes $500 billion in additional spending over the next decade, but he hasn't told us how he will pay for it. My plan actually reduces our national debt to where it was in 1993 by the end of my second term. My plan focuses on returning power to people, the President wants to keep power in Washington" - Lamar Alexander

"I'm proud to have served at the highest levels of government. I fought hard for President Reagan's agenda on values - we implemented the Mexico City policy, we appointed strict constructionist judges, and we restored a sense of morality to the country. As Vice President, I stood next to George Bush as we made tough decisions on the middle east and other parts of the world, we drove a brutal dictator out of Kuwait and continued to restore our military from the weakness of the Carter years. My fellow citizens, I am prepared to lead this country. I have more experience in the executive branch than any of my fellow Republicans, and I have more experience in defending our values than this President who stood by a man who lied under oath and betrayed the sacred institution of marriage, it's time for experienced, effective, principled leadership" - Dan Quayle

"There are four people running for President of the United States. I'm the only one who wants to abolish the immoral income tax that burdens the American people. I'm the only one who will protect human life and who wants to end abortion. I'm the only one who wants to abolish the Department of Labor and the Department of Agriculture. I'm the only one who will reverse Don't Ask Don't Tell and fight for a ban on same-sex marriage at the federal level. I'm the only one who will take on the entertainment industry and force tougher standards on them so our kids don't see filth everyday. The others are going to make an economic argument, that argument failed in 1996 and it will fail in 2000. What I am concerned about is that our country is being corrupted, President Clinton is proof of that, and President Gore did nothing but stand by his side. I'll end the moral decay we are seeing everyday, and I'm the only one fighting for that" - Alan Keyes

"In Tennessee, I was a leader in education, we created school standards and I was one of the first proponents of merit pay for teachers. That's why George Bush appointed me as Secretary of Education. But education is a state responsibility. As President, I would return that power to the states. But let me be very clear as to the differences between Dan Quayle and I. The difference is actually of experience. Dan Quayle has absolutely no executive experience, none. So he has no experience bringing people together like I do. He only has experience legislating and assisting executives. I think our next President has to be someone with leadership abilities, and the basis of which to judge us on is our records. My record is I attracted foreign investment to America, I reformed education, and I reduced state debt. Vice President Quayle has no record of which to be judged on" - Lamar Alexander

"What Lamar Alexander didn't tell you is he raised taxes and fees 58 times as Governor, totaling $400 million. His tax plan now keeps much of the current code, mine creates a 15% flat tax that was endorsed by Steve Forbes just yesterday. As a U.S. Senator, I led the charge to increase penalties for violent drug offenders, Lamar Alexander has a history of pardoning felons. Also, notice how he didn't even mention eliminating the Department of Education, which I'd do. He talks about leadership, I was Vice President for four years during a consequential time in our country's history. I am proud to have served under George Bush, as I'm sure you are as well. That experience will enable me to be a more effective President of the United States. I am proud to have also been involved in helping pass President Reagan's conservative agenda, an agenda that included free markets, family values, law & order, and a strong national defense" - Dan Quayle 
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 11:03:54 PM »

March 15, 2000 - Alexander wins three contests, money forces Keyes out of race

MADISON, WI - Former Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander secured victories in presidential primaries in Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Florida. In Wisconsin, he narrowly defeated Former Vice President Dan Quayle 47%-46%. In both North Carolina and Florida, he defeated Quayle decisively - 55%-44% in North Carolina and 60%-39% in Florida. Alan Keyes was forced to end his presidential bid, his campaign accumulated over $50,000 in debt.

March 19, 2000 - Quayle stakes it all on Texas, insiders say it's time for him to accept reality

HOUSTON, TX - Despite being more than 300 delegates behind Former Education Secretary Lamar Alexander, Former Vice President Dan Quayle refused to end his 2000 presidential campaign. Quayle downsized his operation ahead of contests in Texas, Mississippi, Colorado, and Rhode Island on April 4. Quayle, once considered a front-runner for his party's 2000 presidential nomination, failed to convince donors he would be a viable general election candidate. With the most recent national polls showing Lamar Alexander leading by between 12 and 15 points, Quayle's campaign has been forced to downsize in recent weeks. The candidate is focusing on the state of Texas, where he hopes his ties to the Bush family will pay off. But Republican insiders insist it's time to start the general election. "I think it's time for Vice President Quayle to acknowledge that we need to win this election and we can't do it with a drawn out primary battle" U.S. Senator Fred Thompson of Tennessee, a Lamar Alexander supporter, stated. In recent days, three of Dan Quayle's top ten biggest donors, distanced themselves from the candidate and donated to opponent Lamar Alexander.

March 24, 2000 - Quayle withdrawals from Presidential Race, endorses Lamar Alexander

"Tonight, I have made the decision to end my presidential campaign. During my time in public service, I have had the honor and opportunity to serve in the highest levels of government. But I never forgot who I was, why I was elected, and where I came from. This country is going through an era of great opportunity, but also great uncertainty. Our economy is growing, but prosperity isn't reaching everyone. The American family is being harmed by corrupting forces and an increase of drug use and a culture in decline. Our standing in the world is uncertain because our President doesn't flex the muscle of our military, he has continued to reduce funding for our armed services. The goal of the Republican Party in the year 2000 should be to restore traditional American values and stand on the side of families in this country. My decision to end my campaign is simply based on math. I'm proud to have come in second, but second isn't winning. I'm happy to endorse Lamar Alexander for President of the United States. I am confident he will carry the banner of our party forward in unity. He's a long time friend and I think he will be able to make the case that we believe in family and values" - Former Vice President Dan Quayle

Lamar Alexander becomes Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee

"I want to thank Vice President Quayle and the other Republican candidates for their efforts. Now is the time for our party to unite and win. I think I have the experience to lead this country. Al Gore has two years of executive experience, I have experience not only leading a state, but also leading a federal agency and a large entity. You see, if we want to return power to the states, simply the tax code and lower rates, reduce the size of the federal government, end junk lawsuits, and continue to balance the budget, it takes the courage to tell the truth and it takes experience. I know how to lead because I've done it. I'm going to change the culture of Washington D.C. I'm not a career politician, and I'm going to fight for term limits and lobbying reform. The American people control the government, not the other way around, and I'll fight for you" - Former Education Secretary Lamar Alexander, Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 09:23:49 PM »

May 1, 2000 - Gore leads, maintains strong approval

Gore Approval
Approve: 55%
Disapprove: 30%

National Election
Al Gore 48%
Lamar Alexander 41%

July 15, 2000 - Alexander taps Ohio Congressman for Vice President

NASHVILLE, TN - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Lamar Alexander announced that he selected Congressman John Boehner of Ohio as his running-mate in the 2000 presidential election. "John Boehner has been a staunch fiscal conservative during his time in congress, he will play a role in helping me return power back to our states and spend less in Washington" Alexander said of his running-mate.

August 4-7, 2000 - Republican National Convention Held in Philadelphia, PA

Former Education Secretary Lamar Alexander Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech

"The year 2000 is here, and Americans have a choice to make about their future. In this complex, challenging, and exciting moment in our nation's history, we have an important choice. The fundamental question people should ask in this election isn't if we are better off today than four, eight, or twelve years ago, it's about will we be better off in four years? If Al Gore wins, the size of the federal government will increase, government's role in the classroom, in health care, in our energy sector, and over your first and second amendment rights will increase. If I win, power will be returned to the American people and the state's they live in, taxes will be reduced, and we will replace dependency with opportunity. We have promoted an agenda to get us there. Lower taxes, reducing the size of the federal workforce through attrition, tort reform, returning curriculum decisions in education to states, and block-grants for education, housing, and medicaid. Our opponents have been on a mission to increase the role of government in the last eight years. Government is involved now more than ever in health care, dictating your second amendment rights, and education, it's time to reverse course. It's time for a government that works for the American people again" - Lamar Alexander

Congressman John Boehner Vice Presidential Acceptance Speech

"It is incredibly disturbing what has gone on within this administration, especially over the last two years. Think about it for a minute. For the second time in our lives and for only the third time in our history, Americans began to question the integrity of the executive branch. President Clinton's resignation signaled that the executive branch has been corrupted with power. It wasn't the President's act that was illegal, it was his lying about that act that was. The President of the United States must serve as a leader and role model for our country and the world. President Gore has not only excused Bill Clinton's behavior, he's embraced Bill Clinton. People in the Gore administration have been there for years, they've been involved in illegal campaign contributions being given to the Democratic Party, and they've helped Bill Clinton cover his tracks following a real estate scheme he was involved in. My fellow citizens, it is time to change the culture in Washington D.C. and we can't do that if we elect the same people to serve in the executive branch. We need new leadership, and that's what Lamar Alexander and I offer" - John Boehner

August 15-18, 2000 - Democratic National Convention Held in San Diego, CA

President Al Gore Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech

"I'm very proud of what we have accomplished together over the last eight years during my time of service in the executive branch. Republicans and Democrats have gone together to reduce taxes on working families and small businesses, provide health care to half of the uninsured children in America, we've reformed welfare, banned dangerous assault weapons, added 50,000 police to our streets, and balanced the federal budget. The result is that we have seen the creation of 19 million jobs, home ownership has reached a record level, welfare rolls are 40% of what they were in 1992, crime is down by half, and 1.2 million Americans have been lifted out of poverty. But make no mistake about it, there is more work that has to be done. A second term affords me the opportunity to work with congress to reform education, an area that has been ignored by both parties over the last two decades. There is an achievement gap in education, and we need to close that gap. I support smaller class sizes, merit pay for teachers, and more funding for special needs classrooms. I will work with Speaker Gingrich and members of both parties to pass comprehensive education reform. Despite the fact that we have reduced the number of children without health care, I want to cover every child in America with health care, and we'll pay for it by ending corporate tax loopholes. I'm also deeply concerned about rising sea levels and global temperatures. We have an opportunity to not only combat global warming, but to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy. I will fight to support tax credits for energy alternatives, and we will work together to implement a cap and trade program. Our country deserves leadership that is forward thinking and ready to lead" - Al Gore

Vice President Carol Moseley Braun Vice Presidential Acceptance Speech

"At their convention in Philadelphia, our opponents argued that we should not measure the last eight years when considering who to elect in the year 2000. But the truth is, Americans should examine the records of their presidential and vice presidential candidates. Al Gore and I have continued the successful policies of the Clinton/Gore administration. We have balanced the budget, reformed medicare, we've expanded health care access to more children, and we have provided tax relief for working families and small businesses. As President Reagan fought to cut taxes on all Americans and support policies to prevent crime, Lamar Alexander raised taxes by $500 million and pardoned dozens of dangerous criminals in the State of Tennessee. In Congress, John Boehner voted to increase taxes by $200 billion, he voted against health care for children, he voted against the Brady Bill, and he voted against investing in our roads and bridges. I think my record in the U.S. Senate is clear. I led the fight for the Brady Bill, I fought the end discrimination in our military, I fought for the Violence Against Women Act, and I led the effort for the Clinton/Gore tax cuts of 1997. The President and I offer Americans an ambitious agenda based off not only what we believe in, but what we have experienced, and what we have done." - Carol Moseley Braun
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 01:03:21 AM »

September 15, 2000 - Poll: Gore lead grows, Approval still in good standing

National Election
Al Gore 50%
Lamar Alexander 40%

Gore Approval
Approve: 60%
Disapprove: 28%

October 12, 2000 - Braun, Boehner participate in Vice Presidential Debate

"As I stated during my acceptance speech, I believe the American people should judge us on our records as well as what we plan to do going forward. Look at Lamar Alexander's record in Tennessee. He raised taxes by $500 million even as President Reagan was cutting taxes. He pardoned dozens of convicted criminals. He doubled state spending and found no way to pay for it. The size of state government grew under his administration. The President and I have worked to reduce taxes on working families and small businesses, we have balanced the budget, we've reformed medicare, and we have continued adding police to our streets. We are seeing historic job growth today, welfare rolls continue to decline, and crime rates are down, but we have a lot more to do. The President and I have a detailed plan to continue to cut taxes and balance the budget while making new investments in education, energy security, our environment, and health care" - Carol Moseley Braun

"What Americans are looking for in their next President and Vice President are people who will restore integrity to the executive branch and help Americans believe in themselves again. In the first two years of the Clinton/Gore administration, they raised taxes by $300 billion, they increased the federal budget by 18%, they released illegal aliens from custody, they tried to force us to accept government-run health care, and they cut our defense budget by $60 billion and began reducing the size of our military. We need to do exactly the opposite; send programs back to states or eliminate them, cut taxes, invest in our military and national security, and do those things the American people expect of us. I'm happy that my colleagues and I have delivered on tax cuts and welfare reform, which Bill Clinton vetoed 3 times, but I think if Lamar Alexander and I win, we'll be able to work with congress to really reduce the size and scope of government" - John Boehner

"The fundamental problem with the Alexander/Boehner agenda is that it's the same agenda the Republicans have run on since 1920. It's the agenda that says the federal government should cut taxes and do nothing else. Al Gore and I are for limited government, the size of the federal government is smaller today than it was in 1993, we have fewer economic regulations today than we did in 1993. But we do believe the federal government should assist the poor, help bridge the education gap, get guns off our streets, and protect our air and water. The other problem with Lamar Alexander's agenda is one of credibility. We propose a $200 billion tax cut for working families. Our plan does two things; it reduces the employee portion of the payroll tax by half and it doubles the per-child tax credit from $500 to $1,000 for people earning below $125,000 per year. The Alexander tax plan would cost four times as much, but you can't trust it will be passed because while we've cut taxes by $150 billion already, he raised taxes by $500 million in Tennessee while Governor" - Carol Moseley Braun

"The President and Vice President have proposed $500 billion in new federal spending, plus another $200 billion in tax cuts. They propose $700 billion in lost revenue without a way to pay for it. We propose a $800 billion tax cut that is fully paid for and sending roughly $400 billion over the next decade back to states. The fact is, the Wall Street Journal has said that the Gore plan will create 3.2 million jobs by 2004 and our plan would create 4 million jobs, that's 800,000 more jobs under our plan. The New Hampshire Union-Leader agrees with the Journal that we will create 3 million jobs by 2004, but they say the President's plan would be lucky to create half that. But no one disputes for many, the economy is strong. Lamar Alexander and I are fighting for those who have been left behind; we offer tax relief and less government, our opponents offer more spending without a way to pay for it" - John Boehner
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 02:02:52 AM »

Keep it up! Cheesy
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 03:09:21 AM »

Giuliani-Kasich '04 has a nice ring to it.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 12:01:54 PM »

Thank you all for the feedback!

October 28, 2000 - Gore, Alexander make their final case during Presidential Debate

"The American people deserve to have a President who is on their side and not on the side of the status-quo. I have worked with Speaker Gingrich and both parties on a host of issues, ranging from free trade, to welfare reform, to balancing the federal budget. I'll continue to work with the Republicans, and I think we will continue to see progress. But there are things I want to do in the next four years, and I plan on fighting for them. I want to close the achievement gap in education and I've outlined a plan to do so. I want to combat global warming and end our dependence on foreign sources of energy, I've outlined a plan to do so. I want to provide every child with health care, and I have a plan to do so. Other than a large tax cut, my opponent has no real agenda for the next four years" - Al Gore

"Mr. President, it's your job to protect the American people, but it's not your job to interfere with their lives on a daily basis. Yes, I have proposed a tax cut - the largest tax relief since President Reagan was our President. But my agenda will be focused on having more power with states, local communities, and families. This is the difference between us in this election. The President views it as his job to solve problems, I view the presidency as running the federal government in a cost-effective manner and defending our vital interests. I think the American people can do a better job than the federal government setting up educational curriculum programs, dealing with housing, dealing with health care, and a host of other issues this President has sought to centralize in Washington D.C." - Lamar Alexander

"One of the challenges I'm very proud to have taken on is reducing crime and poverty. Over the last seven years, we have added over 50,000 police to our streets, we have implemented the toughest penalties at the federal level for drug crimes in our history, we reformed welfare to foster independence, and we have reduced taxes on the working poor. These things have helped reduce crime by nearly half, and 1.2 million Americans have been lifted out of poverty since 1993. But, there is more work to be done and that's why I'm running for President. My education plan will help the poorest children receive more one-on-one attention and we will measure the success of our teachers. The poorest children in America will all have health insurance. We need to invest in the American people in a way that enables us to control federal spending and keep taxes low" - Al Gore

"One of the great failings of this administration has been their foreign policy. Both President Clinton and President Gore engaged in nation building, I don't believe that's the proper role of the United States military. We have other means in which we can discourage behavior we disapprove of. Additionally, I think cutting our military budget by $60 billion is irresponsible and reckless. In order to maintain peace, we must have the strongest military possible. My fear is also that this administration has not done enough to stand with our allies. We should be trading not just with South America, but with allies across the globe. Free trade not only creates opportunity here, it helps alleviate poverty globally. I built a very strong and mutually beneficial relationship with the Japanese as Governor of Tennessee when I brought Saturn to our state, I'd like to use my diplomatic skills as President of the United States" - Lamar Alexander

"My fellow Americans, in the last eight years, our country has seen the strongest economy in recorded history, record low inflation, record high home ownership, the largest reduction in crime in history, and the first balanced budget in a generation. I'm asking for your support again as we reach a moment of great opportunity. We have the resources at our disposal to improve our education system to close the achievement gap, to provide every child in America with health care, to invest in drug prevention programs, and to both balance the budget and cut taxes on working families. I am convinced that I have the experience to govern, I've been a Congressman, Senator, Vice President, and now President of the United States. I've taken on some tough fights, and I've won many times. The Presidency is the most complex job in the world, and I am confident that I am up to the task" - Al Gore

"For eight years, Americans have heard that this executive branch was scandal free and that Washington has been working. But, we know the truth. Our 42nd President resigned in disgrace. Parents across America have had to describe to their kids what was going on. I'm running for President for two fundamental reasons. One, I believe we need leadership that respects the rule of law and that lives by the highest of ethical standards. Two, I believe the federal government has gotten too large, and I think it's time to reduce the size and scope of the federal government. To do so, we need to change the culture in Washington D.C. I intend to do just that. The President is a good man, but he can't change the culture of Washington D.C. because he's been part of that culture for a quarter century. My pledge to the American people is that I will tell you the truth and serve with integrity" - Lamar Alexander

November 4, 2000 - President Gore wins "solid victory" as Republicans maintain control of Congress

Al Gore / Carol Moseley Braun (D) 53% 303 EV
Lamar Alexander / John Boehner (R) 46% 235 EV

January 20, 2001 - January 1, 2003 - Key events of the Gore administration

- March 1, 2001 - President Al Gore signs into law bi-partisian legislation authorizing tax credits for "alternative energy production." The act, called the Clean Energy Act of 2001, is estimated to have a fiscal cost of $900 billion between 2002-2014.
- June 5, 2001 - President Gore signs into law the "Education Reform Act of 2001" which increases funding for special education classrooms and funds smaller class sizes in the poorest school districts in the country. The fiscal cost is $40 billion per year.
- September 12, 2001 - President Al Gore calls on Congress to authorize the use of force in Afghanistan.
- September 15, 2001 - Congress authorizes the use of force against the Taliban in Afghanistan and declares a War on Terror.
- December 5, 2001 - President Al Gore and House Speaker Newt Gingrich ask Congress to pass an updated version of the G.I. Bill
- February 15, 2002 - President Al Gore calls on Congress to raise the top income tax rate to 40% to pay for a $400 billion budget shortfall as the economy is in recession
- May 1, 2002 - President Al Gore signs into law the "Deficit Reduction Act of 2002" which plugged a $400 billion budget shortfall by reducing corporate tax loopholes and delaying the implementation of energy tax credits
- July 5, 2002 - President Gore signs into law a new G.I. bill providing health care vouchers for veteran's and their families, as well as providing free education at community colleges for veterans.
- November 8, 2002 - Republicans maintain control of Congress
- December 4, 2002 - Republicans elect J.C. Watts of Oklahoma as House Speaker

January 10, 2003 - BREAKING NEWS: Gore won't seek re-election

WASHINGTON, DC - Telling Americans he's "proud of the many things we've accomplished together," President Al Gore announced he would not seek re-election in 2004. Gore said he didn't believe anyone should be President for longer than 8 years. "When all is said and done, I will have served as President of the United States for nearly 8 years. I don't believe that anyone should be President for longer than 8 years. Therefore, after careful consideration, I have decided not to seek re-election as President in 2004" Gore stated.

January 15, 2003 - Poll shows open presidential field in both parties

GOP Nomination
Rudy Giuliani 25%
George W. Bush 25%
Newt Gingrich 18%
Jeb Bush 15%
Elizabeth Dole 12%
Phil Gramm 10%
Alan Keyes 4%
Other 1%

Democratic Nomination
Carol Moseley Braun 22%
Dick Gephardt 20%
Tom Daschle 20%
Bill Bradley 15%
Tom Harkin 10%
Joe Biden 6%
Bob Graham 5%
Other 2%
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 11:13:35 PM »

January 17, 2003 - Sources: Debate in Bush family is which Bush will run?

HOUSTON, TX - Sources close to the family of Former President George Bush told the Wall Street Journal that the debate in the Bush family was whether Governor of Texas George W. Bush or Governor of Florida Jeb Bush would seek the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. Both Bush's had been campaigning for Republican candidates in the 2002 election cycle and had war chests for a potential presidential bid. One source said that those close to the Texas Governor told him that he he planned on running and had the support of one former Bush cabinet official, Former Chief of Staff Jon Sununu. However, another source stated that many close to the entire Bush family, including Former U.S. Secretary of State James Baker, said that the younger Bush had a better chance of victory in a general election. A third source said that while the Former President was neutral as to which one of his sons should run, Former First Lady Barbara Bush believed Jeb should run.

February 1, 2003 - Gephardt launches 2004 Presidential Bid

IOWA CITY, IA - House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt announced his bid for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. Promising to reverse NAFTA, provide health care to all Americans, raise the federal minimum wage, and combat global warming, Gephardt said that he was best prepared to be President.

February 12, 2003 - Bradley to run for President

CLIFTON, NJ - Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley, a favorite of the Democratic Party's liberal wing, announced he would run for President in 2004. Bradley promised to fight for universal background checks for all gun purchases, universal health care, campaign finance reform, and investments in infrastructure and higher education if elected President.

February 25, 2003 - Quayle tries it again

DOVER, NH - Former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle, a 2000 presidential candidate, announced that he would once again seek the Republican Presidential Nomination in 2004. Quayle said a constitutional amendment defending human life, a 15% flat tax, elimination of the Department of Education, and increasing funding for the military would be top priorities of his if elected President. Quayle argued he was the best prepared to be a war time President.

March 2, 2003 - Giuliani launches campaign for President

JERSEY CITY, NJ - Former Mayor of New York City and 2000 Presidential Hopeful Rudy Giuliani announced he would run for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. Giuliani said that victory in the war on terror, a constitutional balanced budget amendment, tax cuts, energy independence, and border security would be issues he'd emphasize if elected President.

March 27, 2003 - Feingold in for 2004

MADISON, WI - Pledging to change the campaign finance system and beef-up homeland security, U.S. Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin announced he would seek the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. Feingold, who had been considering a 2004 presidential bid as early as 2002, said his main focus would be getting money out of politics.

April 15, 2003 - Keyes to run for President

BALTIMORE, MD - Former U.N. Ambassador Alan Keyes announced his third bid for the Republican Presidential Nomination. Keyes argued that the country needed a "strong moral leader" who would fight for the pro-life position, traditional marriage, and educational choice.

May 1, 2003 - Gingrich to run for President in 2004

WASHINGTON, DC - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich announced his bid for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. Gingrich said he would run on a platform to balance the budget, cut taxes across the board, reduce all Gore-era rules and regulations, and fight for litigation reform.

June 2, 2003 - Jeb Bush not running for President

MIAMI BEACH, FL - Governor of Florida Jeb Bush announced that he would not run for President in 2004, ending months of speculation as to his political future.

June 17, 2003 - Harkin running for President again

DES MOINES, IA - U.S. Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa, a 1992 Democratic Presidential Hopeful, announced he would run for President in the 2004 election. Harkin said supporting green energy, re-negotiating free trade agreements, and rolling back medicare reform would be some of the main issues he'd fight for if elected President.

June 25, 2003 - George W. Bush announces presidential bid

AUSTIN, TX - Governor George W. Bush of Texas announced his bid for the 2004 Republican Presidential Nomination. Bush expressed support for a more aggressive policy towards Iraq and Iran, support for tax cuts, support for free trade, opposition to the Gore administration's education policies, and support for social security and medicare reform.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies