Election 2000 and Beyond: Clinton impeached, resigns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:58:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election 2000 and Beyond: Clinton impeached, resigns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Election 2000 and Beyond: Clinton impeached, resigns  (Read 13699 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2015, 09:57:11 PM »

Who's your favorite of the Democrats you have running? Gephardt, Dean?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2015, 01:37:05 PM »

Howard Dean was not that left wing as Governor of Vermont, so Dean.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2015, 03:23:55 PM »

To be clear, I didn't mean between those two. I meant between all of them.

If you understood, I think I understand. You disagree with Dean on foreign policy & healthcare but admire him as a person? I remember a lot of "Republican For Dean" signs in 2004, presumably Ron Paul/Lincoln Chafee like people.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »

To be clear, I didn't mean between those two. I meant between all of them.

If you understood, I think I understand. You disagree with Dean on foreign policy & healthcare but admire him as a person? I remember a lot of "Republican For Dean" signs in 2004, presumably Ron Paul/Lincoln Chafee like people.

Yes. I think he is a principled person.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »

January 5, 2007 - Poll: Richardson down, Dean up, Gephardt leading

Dick Gephard 30%
Howard Dean 24%
Tom Daschle 20%
Bill Richardson 18%
John Kerry 4%
Mark Warner 2%
Jon Corzine 1%

January 25, 2007 - Iowa Caucus: Gephardt wins, Dean defies expectations, Richardson underperforms, Corzine withdrawals and backs Dean

IOWA CITY, IA - Former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt won the 2004 Iowa Caucuses, garnering 35% of the vote ahead of Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean, who won 25% of the vote. Dean was long expected to place third or fourth in Iowa. Former Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle won 15% of the vote, ahead of Former U.S. Secretary of State Bill Richardson who won just 12% of the vote. Richardson, a popular Former Secretary of State and New Mexico Governor, did not perform as well in Iowa as analysts had predicted. Despite spending $20 million of his own money, Jon Corzine of New Jersey placed fifth with just 8% of the vote. Corzine ended his presidential bid and backed fellow candidate Howard Dean for President.

February 2, 2008 - New Hampshire Primary: Dean wins decisive victory, Kerry defies expectations

MANCHESTER, NH - Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean won a decisive victory in New Hampshire's Democratic Presidential Primary, garnering 39% of the votes cast, well ahead of opponent Dick Gephardt's 21%. U.S. Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts, long considered a long shot presidential candidate, placed third with 18% of the vote and defied the expectations of the political world.

February 5, 2008 - Richardson campaign in crisis mode after losses in Iowa, New Hampshire, donors start to defect

SANTA FE, NM - After a year in which Former U.S. Secretary of State Bill Richardson was expected to be a front-runner for the Democratic Presidential Nomination along with Richard Gephardt, the Former Governor of New Mexico finds his campaign struggling after failing to place in the top three in both Iowa and New Hampshire, a state his campaign invested heavily in. Richardson was the leading fundraiser in the Democratic primary in every quarter of 2007, but in the days following Iowa, Howard Dean and Dick Gephardt began to collect money at a faster pace than Richardson. Additionally, two top Richardson fundraisers began to support opponent Howard Dean. Another top Richardson supporter, U.S. Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, said he no longer believed Richardson would be the nominee, though he said he still supported Richardson. The campaign had remained positive until they tried to question Howard Dean's lack of foreign policy experience and Dick Gephardt's lack of executive experience.

February 9, 2008 - South Carolina Primary: Gephardt wins, Warner withdrawals

CHARLESTON, SC - South Carolina Democrats voted to nominate Dick Gephardt for President in South Carolina's Democratic Presidential Primary. Gephardt defeated opponents Tom Daschle and Bill Richardson 32%-22%-19% respectively. Following a disappointing fourth place finish, Former Governor of Virginia Mark Warner announced he would end his presidential bid.

February 15, 2008 - Michigan, Nevada vote: Gephardt, Dean claim victories

LANSING, MI - Former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt defeated opponents Howard Dean and Tom Daschle 35%-30%-20% respectively in Michigan’s Democratic Presidential Primary. Former U.S. Secretary of State Bill Richardson had his worst showing of the presidential primaries thus far, garnering just 7% of the vote. In Nevada, a state Richardson hoped to win, Howard Dean defeated him 40%-30%, with Dick Gephardt in third with 18%.

February 17, 2008 - Richardson ends presidential bid

SANTA FE, NM - Former U.S. Secretary of State Bill Richardson abandoned his 2008 presidential bid following poor showings in early presidential contests. The one-time rising star in the Democratic Party was once considered the front-runner for his party’s presidential nomination.

February 23, 2008 - Super Tuesday: Gephardt, Dean win big, Daschle withdrawals, Kerry does better than expected

WASHINGTON, DC - 12 States across the nation voted in Democratic Presidential Primaries. The big victors were Dick Gephardt, Former Democratic House Leader and Howard Dean, Former Governor of Vermont. Gephardt and Dean each secured wins in 5 states, as opponent John Kerry won 2 states. Gephardt claimed victories in his home state of Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Georgia, and Ohio. Vermont’s Howard Dean won victories in Illinois, Washington, Hawaii, Maryland, and Maine. U.S. Senator John Kerry won presidential primaries in his home state of Massachusetts, in addition to Minnesota. Kerry was polling in fourth place in many contests, but also placed second in three states and third in four states. Former Democratic Senate Leader Tom Daschle ended his presidential campaign after failing to win a single state.

February 25, 2008 - Poll: Gephardt, Dean maintain lead over Kerry, Bush looking good

Democratic Primary
Howard Dean 39%
Dick Gephardt 36%
John Kerry 24%

Bush Approval
Approve: 60%
Disapprove: 35%

General election match-ups

George W. Bush 50%
Howard Dean 40%

George W. Bush 50%
Dick Gephardt 42%

George W. Bush 49%
John Kerry 39%
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2015, 11:57:53 PM »

February 27, 2008 - Democrats debate in Florida ahead of primaries in Florida, Virginia, and New York

“Across America, something is happening. Americans are tired of years of gridlock and inaction in Washington, they want a President who believes in them. My campaign is not about me, it’s about restoring the American dream. I have put forth a health care plan that covers uninsured Americans and every child in America with health care, and it’s a plan that is not a government-run plan, but a plan that includes both the private sector and government assistance. I’ve said that I will restore funding for K-12 education that this President has cut and I’ll fight to reduce class sizes and demand more from our most challenged districts. My tax plan will roll back all of the President’s tax cuts, and then immediately replace them with a middle class tax cut that will not only be equal to the Presidents, but the typical family will save $1,200 under my plan. We can do these things and still balance the budget, I’m the one up here who has done it before” - Howard Dean

“Howard Dean has spent this entire campaign re-inventing himself. In Vermont, Governor Dean supported Vermont’s gun laws which are some of the least protective of our safety. Howard Dean also presided over what has been described as one of the country’s least transparent administrations in modern memory. Governor Dean attacks me for supporting the President’s surge in Afghanistan, yet he supported the idea of a surge before I even did. I have been consistently opposed to free trade agreements, consistently for raising the minimum wage which I have fought to do on three separate occasions, I have consistently been against guns getting into the hands of criminals which is why I fought so hard for the Brady Bill, and I have consistently said that while we should train the Afghans and have a surge in the number of forces in Afghanistan, we must demand certain commitments to be met there. We need a nominee for President with the experience of leading and the ability to articulate a way forward in Afghanistan while promoting a pro-worker agenda here at home” - Dick Gephardt

“In four years, George Bush has managed to damage our alliances with several European powers, he’s managed to weaken environmental regulations, he’s under-funded education, and he’s had no strategy for victory in Afghanistan. The next President of the United States must reverse George Bush’s policies. All of us up here agree we need to invest in health care, education, and debt reduction. We have slightly different approaches to getting us there. The choice for Democrats is who can beat George W. Bush in the fall of 2008 and who can lead our country. My friends, we are not going to win if we are divided. Supporters of Governor Dean support his new ideas. Supporters of Leader Gephardt believe he has the experience needed to lead. I would argue that I have both. I’ve served in the U.S. Senate and have been involved in every foreign policy issue for over two decades. I have taken on tough issues such as combating climate change, promoting economic growth in Latin America, and fighting for tougher penalties for companies that mislead the public. I also have new ideas - I have a plan to reform our health care system, reform our education system, implement a new cap and trade system that doesn’t impact small businesses, and I have a way forward in Afghanistan. I am a proud Democrat and I’ll run for President as such” - John Kerry

“Dick Gephardt and George Bush refuse to tell us when they’ll end the war in Afghanistan. Our country has to do everything we can to protect our national security interests. But the truth is, our enemies aren’t just in Afghanistan. They are hiding in Pakistan and elsewhere. We have to fight our enemies, and nation building in Afghanistan is not a strategy for us to be able to succeed. George Bush’s strategy is to nation build and Dick Gephardt has said that’s his strategy as well. I want a foreign policy consistent with our values, we should trade with other countries and work with our allies to defeat our enemies, but I am not for nation building. By remaining in Afghanistan on the ground, we are depleting resources needed to keep us safe. I want to continue to fight our enemies, but I want to stop nation building. I think we have to focus on building our roads and improving our schools here at home in order to help the rest of the world. But I always will support whatever it takes to keep Americans safe” - Howard Dean

“My strategy is not the Bush strategy. Governor Dean has shown a lack of understanding of several issues, I’d like to mention three. First of all, I was in Congress during the start of this war. I said then that I supported President Bush’s strategy of supporting a elected government in Afghanistan and a civil society, but putting an emphasis on training the Afghans to care for their own security. The President has yet to set a benchmark for anything in Afghanistan, I have said that I would listen to the Joint Chiefs and have a fighting force trained in Afghanistan within 30 months. Secondly, Governor Dean supports NAFTA and other free trade agreements that have driven down wages of American workers, so his $1,200 tax cut is meaningless for millions of Americans. Finally, Howard Dean says he supported the Brady Bill, but he opposed banning assault weapons in Vermont. It’s time for him to level with the American people” - Dick Gephardt

“There are some minor differences between us. I think we all agree on most things, but we have different approaches to tax policy, free trade, and cap and trade. Howard Dean’s tax plan actually eliminates the $500 per-child tax credit the President signed into law. Dick Gephardt’s plan to eliminate all of the Bush tax cuts would increase taxes by about $2,200 per average household. My plan is to eliminate the Bush tax cuts for those earning above $150,000 per year - the middle class see no tax increase. On free trade, Howard Dean supports NAFTA, Dick Gephardt opposes it, and I want to keep it but enforce the environmental and labor agreements within NAFTA that have not been enforced. On cap and trade, Howard Dean opposes it, Dick Gephardt supports it, and I support a cap and trade system that only impacts large corporations. If we want to take on George Bush, we have to be united as Democrats, and we have to stand for a new direction for America” - John Kerry

March 2, 2008 - Florida, Virginia, and New York Vote: Dean, Gephardt both claim victories
MIAMI BEACH, FL - Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean and Former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt claimed victories in the Democratic Presidential Primary race. Dean claimed victory in Florida, where he defeated Gephardt and Massachusetts Senator John Kerry 40%-39%-20% respectively. In New York, Dean defeated Gephardt and Kerry 42%-30%-27% respectively. In Virginia, Gephardt defeated Dean and Kerry 44%-40%-15% respectively.

March 3, 2008 - John Kerry concedes defeat

BOSTON, MA - U.S. Senator John Kerry (D-MA) ended his 2008 presidential bid and pledged to support the eventual Democratic Presidential Nominee.

March 12, 2008 - President Bush holds first campaign event of 2008 election season in Virginia

RICHMOND, VA - Standing alongside Vice President Rudy Giuliani, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, and U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ), President George W. Bush spoke to a large crowd at his first campaign rally since announcing he would seek re-election as President. Bush touted the economic recovery and "success in Afghanistan" as reasons to re-elect him. The President also pledged to fight for immigration reform, social security reform, and energy independence if re-elected in 2008.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2015, 03:53:09 PM »

March 15, 2008 - Dean wins Colorado, Wisconsin, West Virginia

MILWAUKEE, WI - Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean defeated Former Democratic House Leader Dick Gephardt in three presidential contests. Dean defeated Gephardt 55%-44% in Colorado's Democratic Presidential Primary, 57%-41% in Wisconsin's Presidential Primary, and 50%-48% in West Virginia's Democratic Caucus.

March 19, 2008 - Howard Dean wins California Democratic Presidential Primary

SACRAMENTO, CA - Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean won a decisive victory in California's Democratic Presidential Primary, defeating opponent Dick Gephardt 59%-40%.

March 23, 2008 - Richardson backs Dean for President

CHICAGO, IL - Former U.S. Secretary of State and 2008 Presidential Hopeful Bill Richardson endorsed Howard Dean's Presidential bid at a rally in Illinois. "Howard Dean understands the world we live in, he understands that we can't be the police of the world, and he understands the importance of American leadership" Richardson said of Dean.

March 28, 2008 - Gephardt exits Presidential Race, will decide on Missouri Gubernatorial bid by April 2

ST. LOUIS, MO - Former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt announced he was ending his presidential campaign, citing declining poll numbers and the "need for Democrats to unite." Gephardt ended his bid at a press conference, where he also announced he would decide within days if he would run for Governor of Missouri in 2008.

Howard Dean becomes Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee

"The Democratic Party will be the party of change in the election of 2008. We had a primary, and the voters have spoken. This campaign is not about me, it's about the future of our country. George Bush has gutted funding for education, he's ignored the growing wealth gap in this country, he's basically denied climate change by virtue of his anti-environmental policies, he's given tax breaks to the rich but he has opposed expanded health coverage and raising the minimum wage, and he has no plan to win in Afghanistan other than staying the course. In Vermont, I managed to invest in health care and education while also cutting taxes on working families and actually reducing the size of state government. I want to use the skills I learned in Vermont to change Washington. Working together, we will end George Bush's tax breaks and instead cut taxes on the middle class and working people, provide health care to every child in America and expand it for adults as well, we'll encourage alternative sources of energy and support research and development of clean energy, we will raise our minimum wage, and I will help us become safer while ending the war in Afghanistan in a way that brings our troops home while leaving that country better off than it is today. It’s time for change in America, and we will change this country for the better” - Howard Dean, Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee

April 15, 2008 - Democrats come out for President Bush in re-election bid, "Democrats for President Bush" coalition started

WASHINGTON, DC - President George W. Bush's re-election campaign secured endorsements from four nationally-known Democrats. The campaign also started a "Democrats for President Bush" coalition. The leader of the "Democrats for President Bush" movement, Governor Joe Manchin of West Virginia, said Bush was better for working families than Howard Dean. "The President has cut taxes on working Americans, he's for clean coal technology that would help lower energy bills, and his budgets have increased funding for worker re-training programs. He's a champion for ordinary Americans" Manchin said.  U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) said though he disagreed with Bush on social issues, he would be the better President on foreign affairs. "Howard Dean has said we have to set a timeline for withdrawal in Afghanistan. Enough of the politics, we have to continue to bring stability to the region and the President has been steadfast in his commitment to our security" Lieberman said of President Bush. U.S. Senator Zell Miller (D-GA) and Former Governor Douglas Wilder (D-VA) also announced they'd support the President for re-election.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2015, 12:43:56 AM »

May 21, 2008 - Dean campaign: Kerrey will lead our Vice Presidential search committee

BURLINGTON, VT - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Howard Dean's campaign announced that Former U.S. Senator Bob Kerrey (D-NE) would lead Dean's search for a Vice Presidential running-mate. Potential Dean running-mates are said to include Former Presidential Hopefuls Bill Richardson, Tom Daschle, and Dick Gephardt as well as Former Governor Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire, U.S. Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, U.S. Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, Congressman Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, U.S. Senator Bill Nelson of Florida, Governor Janet Napolitano of Arizona, Former Attorney General Janet Reno, and Governor of Arkansas Mike Bebe.

June 25, 2008 - Survey: Bush gets high marks on the economy, foreign affairs, overall and leads Dean

Bush Approval
Approve: 57%
Disapprove: 38%

Bush handling of foreign policy
Approve: 67%
Disapprove: 29%

Bush handling of the economy
Approve: 54%
Disapprove: 41%

General Election for President 2008
George W. Bush 51%
Howard Dean 39%

July 7, 2008 - Dean taps Richardson for Vice President

SANTA FE, NM - Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Howard Dean selected Former U.S. Secretary of State Bill Richardson as his running-mate in the 2008 presidential election. "Bill Richardson has more experience in foreign affairs than George Bush and Rudy Giuliani combined. He's dealt with every foreign policy situation imaginable, and as Governor of New Mexico, he invested in education without raising taxes and increasing debt. I'm proud to have Bill Richardson as my running-mate" Dean told supporters.

August 14, 2008 - Richardson accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

"I don't stand before you here today only as a Democrat, though I'm proud of our party and our values. I stand before you here today asking for your help in making Howard Dean our next President, and I humbly ask for your help in making me your Vice President. What is at stake in this election is the middle class and working Americans. Howard Dean and I believe we should invest in education reform that reduces class sizes and has even more robust accountability. We want to provide health insurance to every child in America and make it accessible for those who can't afford it today. We want to roll back the President's tax cuts and instead pay down our nation's debt while cutting taxes for working families. Unlike the President, we believe that the minimum wage should be raised so we can lift people out of poverty. The great calling of our time is not to keep taxes low on the wealthy, it's to invest in America again. Howard Dean and I have the plan and the experience to do just that." - Bill Richardson, Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee

August 15, 2008 - Howard Dean accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"This campaign has not just been a campaign, it's been a movement. Americans are looking for leadership that focuses on them and not on what the political establishment demands of that leader. I'm not here standing before you because I am a creature of Washington D.C., I am here before you today because millions of Americans came together to oppose George Bush's tax breaks for the rich and to instead support investments in health care and education while we restore fiscal discipline to Washington D.C. In Vermont, I increased funding for education by 25%, we went from 14th to 7th in education because we reduced our class sizes and enhanced accountability. I provided health care to every child in my state by reversing tax breaks for corporations, and we still cut taxes for working families and reduced state debt by 7%. I want to go to Washington D.C. to change the failed policies of the George Bush era. President Bush's focus has been on cutting taxes for his friends. He's under-funded education by nearly $75 billion, he's vetoed expanding the number of college pell grants, he's frozen funding for cities to hire more police to protect our communities, and he's undermined our environmental laws by loosening clean air standards for the automobile industry. This election is about us saying that enough is enough and that the American people control our government, not special interests. We'll reform our campaign finance system and cap monetary donations from corporations to political candidates to ensure we send that message. Our country can't succeed if we give special breaks to special interests and leave more Americans behind. It's time for a new era of governing, an era where the voiceless have their chance to be heard, it's time for change in America for the better" - Howard Dean, Democratic Presidential Nominee

August 24, 2008 - Vice President Rudy Giuliani accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

"President Bush and I are very proud to run for re-election on our record. Thanks to much needed tax relief, increased funding for worker re-training programs, and the most aggressive expansion of free trade in history, since 2005, our economy has added over 7 million new jobs, inflation remains at it's lowest level in nearly two generations, home ownership has seen it's fastest growth in 20 years, and the average American has seen an increase in their take home pay of $1,100 per year. Overseas, we have toppled a brutal regime in Afghanistan, we are defeating our enemies, and we have strengthened our alliances with Israel, European nations, and Latin America. Despite this record, our opponents seem to find fault with us. That is to be expected. But they offer no bold alternatives to our agenda other than a health care plan Howard Dean says he doesn't know how to pay for and an education reform plan that violates the rights of states. President Bush and I know who we are, we know where this country needs to go, and we will lead us forward with confidence and hope" - Vice President Rudy Giuliani, Republican Vice Presidential Nominee

August 25, 2008 - President George W. Bush accepts Republican Presidential Nomination

"As our economy continues to grow and we continue to see success in Afghanistan, the question for the American people is, what direction do we want our country to move in? Our opponents have made their intentions clear, though not their programs. Their intention is to divide the American people and go back to the days when Washington D.C. was dysfunctional with finger pointing. They believe that government has all of the answers. The Vice President and I have a different view. We believe that by working with Republicans and Democrats, we can serve the American people. I believe the way to move our country forward with confidence and hope is to bring Americans together behind a positive, hopeful agenda. Another terms gives us the chance to end our nation's dependence on foreign sources of energy by incentivizing research and development of domestic energy, both traditional and alternative. Another term gives us a chance to pass immigration reform that secures our borders, but also gives non-violent undocumented immigrants the chance to have a pathway to citizenship. Another term gives us an opportunity to work on a bi-partisan basis to reform social security and protect medicare for future generations. Another four years gives us the chance to open up our markets to more of our allies, it gives us the chance to reduce the national debt by capping federal spending, and it gives us the chance to succeed in Afghanistan and continue to keep Americans safe. I'm hopeful and optimstic about the future because I know the American people are eager to do what is right in this world, and I plan on leading this nation for another four years" - President George W. Bush, Republican Presidential Nominee
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »

Could we see a brief history of the Reform Party? What were the tickets in 2000/2004, and is anyone famous running in 2008?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »

Could we see a brief history of the Reform Party? What were the tickets in 2000/2004, and is anyone famous running in 2008?

To be honest, I have not considered the Reform Party as they are not a factor. It's possible a third party will be a factor down the road.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2015, 09:54:34 PM »

October 9, 2008 - Giuliani, Richardson participate in Vice Presidential debate

“By most economic indicators, the American people are better off today than they were four years ago. 7.4 million American jobs have been created since 2005, home ownership has risen to a historic high, inflation remains low, the stock market has done well, median income has risen, and wages continue to rise. At the same time, we have achieved some important goals in Afghanistan and in keeping Americans safe while restoring our place as a leader in the world. But our work is far from finished and the President and I have said that consistently. We have bi-partisan consensus to reform social security, pass immigration reform that secures our border and has a pathway to citizenship, and we have consensus to find ways to reduce federal spending and end our dependence on foreign sources of energy” - Rudy Giuliani

“After seven years in Afghanistan, Howard Dean and I believe it’s time to prepare to bring our troops home as soon as we can in a way that ensures Afghanistan is left able to protect itsself. We share that objective with the administration, only unlike the President, Howard Dean and I will end this war in 18 months and instead of nation building in Afghanistan, we will invest in health care and education for our own people. The choice for the American people is clear. George Bush and Rudy Giuliani believe we should stay in Afghanistan indefinitely, that we should keep taxes low on the rich, and that we shouldn’t invest in education in this country. Howard Dean and I believe it’s time for a change. We believe we can keep our country safe without violating the civil liberties of innocent Americans. We believe we can invest in education and health care without going bankrupt if we reverse George Bush’s fiscally irresponsible tax cuts. We are agents of change and we believe Americans are ready for change” - Bill Richardson

“I think Governor Dean and Secretary Richardson have a worldview that is out of touch with the times. The President and I have a clear strategy to succeed in Afghanistan. We will continue to train the Afghans, we will work with our allies to ensure that the institutions of democracy are set up in Afghanistan, and we will work with the international community to encourage economic development there. We are making progress there; violence in Afghanistan has been reduced in half in the last six months compared to where it was when we declared war. But it’s not just Afghanistan where they are out of touch. We placed sanctions on Iran to halt their nuclear ambitions, Howard Dean criticized us for not negotiating with them. They opposed the Patriot Act which has been critical in protecting our country. They have called our investments in our military wasteful. This is a country at war. President Bush and I have demonstrated the leadership to conduct this war in a way that puts politics aside and keeps our people safe” - Rudy Giuliani

“The Vice President and the President have attacked Howard Dean and I as radical and out of touch in foreign affairs. What is out of touch is not having any accountability on the part of the Afghans to care for their own security, there is no benchmark for specific goals that we have to set. Being out of touch is violating the fifth amendment rights of Americans in the name of national security. Unlike the President and the Vice President, I actually have negotiated with foreign leaders instead of dictating to them terms that weaken alliances. In the long run, we should only train the Afghans to care for their own security, it’s up to them to establish a government and to build the institutions of developed countries, though of course we can play a supportive role. But our leadership role in the world should be one that doesn’t nation build, but encourages good behavior and protects our national security interests first” - Bill Richardson

October 25, 2008 - Bush, Dean participate in final Presidential Debate

“The American people deserve a President who is committed to success in Afghanistan, a safer world, and economic prosperity that reaches all Americans. The policies the Vice President and I have implemented in the last four years have been intended to meet those goals. We’ve provided historic tax relief that has helped grow our economy by over 7.4 million jobs, we provided  historic education reform that has expanded school choice and enhanced accountability, we’ve helped provide better healthcare for our veterans, we passed tort reform to end junk lawsuits in our healthcare system, we expanded funding to reduce the number of children without health care, and we have trained the Afghans to care for their own security and to establish the institutions of democracy so we leave behind a stable Afghanistan. My opponent believes we are headed in the wrong direction. He believes we need to spend $700 billion, raise taxes by $1.2 trillion, increase the size of the federal government, and have the government take over our health care system to have us move in the right direction. I believe that the right path for our country is to continue to allow our economy to grow and our military to secure peace with the policies we’ve implemented” - George W. Bush

“George Bush is telling Americans that I am some kind of radical, that I can’t be trusted, and that I believe in government that tells people how to live their lives. Here are the facts. During my time as Governor of Vermont, the size of government was cut by 8%. Under George Bush, the size of the federal workforce has increased by 40,000 - he’s the first President in a quarter century to increase the size of government. In Vermont, I balanced the budget, George Bush took a $110 billion surplus and now we have a $190 billion budget deficit. In Vermont, I cut taxes on people earning below $90,000 per year - the President’s tax cuts have gone mainly to those earning above $150,000 per year. I didn’t support the kind of corporate welfare this President has supported. I believe in fiscal responsibility and my plan closes the budget gap and still invests in education and health care. I believe that the American people are tired of seeing 5-10% increases in their health care premiums each year. I think we need to help contain cost and expand coverage to the working poor. It’s not having the government take over, it’s giving people the ability to have a safety net” - Howard Dean

“My fellow citizens, you and I have been through alot together in the last four years. We have done the necessary work to protect the homeland and grow our economy. Americans are hard working, honest, decent, and optimistic. I have tried my best to serve this nation as President. I have tried my best to be decisive, steadfast, and determined to change the culture of Washington D.C. I’m very proud of our record - 7.4 million new jobs, record low inflation, record high home ownership, median income has risen, and the cost of healthcare has seen its lowest annual increase since 1965. Whether it be reforming social security and preserving medicare, ending our dependence on foreign sources of energy, reforming our immigration system, and keeping in place the policies that have protected us and fostered economic growth, I am confident the next four years will be a time of continued prosperity. I’m asking for your vote so that we can continue the work of moving our country in the right direction” - George W. Bush

“The American people deserve change. For the last four years, we’ve had a President who means well, but who has been wrong on the key issues facing our country. George Bush has been the most fiscally irresponsible President in decades, his foreign policy has alienated our allies, and millions of Americans struggle to afford health care and an education for their children. I will do the necessary work to secure victory in Afghanistan and bring our troops home by the end of my second year as President. I will reverse the President’s tax cuts and work to provide healthcare to every child in America and expand access for lower income adults. I will increase funding for K-12 education as well as pell grants for higher education. What the American people deserve is not to have their money sent overseas for nation building. We need to rebuild our schools and crumbling infrastructure here at home. With the right kind of leadership, change can become reality. I am asking for your vote so we can again invest in the American people” - Howard Dean

November 5, 2008 - President Bush wins decisive victory, Republicans keep both houses of congress

George W. Bush / Rudy Giuliani (R) 56% 327 EV
Howard Dean / Bill Richardson (D) 43% 211 EV
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2015, 06:23:55 PM »

Key events of the Bush Administration January 20, 2009 - January 1, 2011

- March 1, 2009 - President Bush announces that all but 15,000 U.S. forces will be out of Afghanistan by July 25, 2010
- June 27, 2009 - President Bush signs into law the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act. The bill doubled border-patrol agents at the southern border while establishing a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. The bill also establishes a guest worker program and stricter penalties for employing undocumented immigrants knowingly.
- October 15, 2009 - President Bush signs into law an energy bill that de-regulates the natural gasoline industry, increases tax credits for research & development of alternative energy sources, and opens up off-shore oil drilling.
- February 15, 2010 - President Bush's social security reform plan, which would raise the retirement age, means-test social security, and have private accounts for upper-income individuals, fails to pass congress as a group of Republicans joined Democrats in opposing the bill
- July 25, 2010 - All but 15,000 residual forces are home from Afghanistan
- November 5, 2010 - President Bush signs into law a series of budget caps aimed at holding domestic federal spending increases at no more than 3.5% per year after a decade where federal spending increased an average of 6.5% per year.

January 5, 2011 - Vice President Giuliani rules out third presidential bid

WASHINGTON, DC - Vice President Rudy Giuliani ruled out making a third bid for the Republican Presidential Nomination in 2012 after serving as Vice President since 2005 following presidential bids in 2000 and 2004. "I will not run for President in 2012. I believe that it's time for a new generation of leaders to enter the political arena" the Vice President stated.

January 10, 2011 - Bush not running for President

WASHINGTON, DC - Despite speculation he would seek the Republican Presidential Nomination in 2012, U.S. Secretary of Education Jeb Bush, brother to President George W. Bush, told reporters he would not run for President. "I am not going to run for President in 2012, I agree with the Vice President that it's time for a new generation of leaders" Bush stated.

January 15, 2011 - House Democrat Chris Van Hollen to seek Presidency

IOWA CITY, IA - House Democratic Caucus Chair Chris Van Hollen declared his intention to seek the 2012 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "The time to unify our country is now. We ended the war in Afghanistan, now we have to build our nation here at home. We have to do better in terms of making college affordable, getting people quality health care, and doing what is necessary to reduce poverty and corporate welfare" Van Hollen stated.

January 20, 2011 - Mitt Romney running for President

DOVER, NH - Former Governor of Massachusetts and Chairman of the Republican National Committee Mitt Romney declared his intention to seek the 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination. "The challenge of our time is to continue to protect the nation, but also to compete in a global economy. I have the experience in business to do just that" Romney stated.

February 2, 2011 - Patrick to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

BOSTON, MA - Governor of Massachusetts Deval Patrick announced he would run for President in 2012. "In my state, we prosecuted corporate polluters and implemented a cap and trade system. We raised our minimum wage and cut taxes for working families. We invested in our community colleges and in training displaced workers. We should take this record nationwide" Patrick told supporters.

February 15, 2011 - Frist running for President

NASHVILLE, TN - Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist announced his intention to seek the 2008 Republican Presidential Nomination. "I am proud to have worked with President Bush to restore our nation's economy by cutting taxes, expanding trade, investing in our workforce, and doing what's necessary to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy. Our work is far from over. This nation needs a President who has the experience and the judgement to be an effective voice for not only maintaining the prosperity we enjoy today, but a voice for expanding the American dream" Frist declared.

February 19, 2011 - Beebe to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

LITTLE ROCK, AR - Governor of Arkansas Mike Beebe announced he would run for President in 2008. "I have the leadership qualities necessary to heal the wounds of division in our country. Until we work together to help reduce poverty and improve our schools, nothing will be done in Washington D.C. In one of the poorest states in America, I delivered" Beebe declared. 

March 1, 2011 - Rell running for President

MANCHESTER, NH - Former Governor Jodi Rell of Connecticut announced her intention to run for President in the 2012 election. "I applied the principles of the Republican Party in one of the most liberal states in the country. I opposed tax increases, cracked down on crime, fought for parental rights, and worked with both parties to get money out of our political process. If we do what is right, if we put our country before our party, and if we work with everyone, we can win and more importantly, we can govern" Rell declared. 

March 5, 2011 - Kerrey announces second presidential bid

OMAHA, NE - Former U.S. Senator Bob Kerrey, who first ran for President in 1992, announced his second presidential campaign. "Democrats aren't going to win by attacking George Bush. We win when we advocate for policies that help working families. Fair trade, better schools, lower taxes, and equal pay for equal work. These are the principles I believe in, they are the principles I fought for during my time in office, and my presidency will be focused on these issues here at home as we continue to rebuild our alliances and succeed in securing peace abroad" Kerrey declared.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »

Oh well. We don't have any major President Dean timelines now.

Hmm.... What are Kasich, Scarborough, Pataki, Lieberman, and Evan Bayh up to?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2015, 12:56:01 AM by dudeabides »

Oh well. We don't have any major President Dean timelines now.

Hmm.... What are Kasich, Scarborough, Pataki, Lieberman, and Evan Bayh up to?

John Kasich - Same as in real life, Governor of Ohio
Joe Scarborough - Same as in real life, on television
George Pataki - Same as in real life, Former Governor of New York
Joe Lieberman - Secretary of Defense during the second term of President George W. Bush
Evan Bayh - see below

March 15, 2011 - Bloomberg to run for Democratic Presidential Nomination

NEW YORK, NY - Mayor of New York City Michael Bloomberg, a political independent who was a Republican for most of his career, announced he would seek the 2012 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "I'm not a particularly partisan person, but I will run for President as a Democrat in 2012. I want to have a national discussion about gun control, climate change, and criminal justice reform and I feel the Democratic Party is the party that is more likely to be open to that discussion, though my ultimate goal is to unite the country" Bloomberg declared at a press conference.

April 7, 2011 - Evan Bayh to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

MANCHESTER, NH - Former U.S. Senator Evan Bayh, who served as U.S. Trade Representative from January 2009 until his resignation in January 2011, announced his intention to seek the Democratic Presidential Nomination in 2012. "Americans are ready for experienced leadership. This country needs someone with a record of executive leadership, someone who understands the legislative process, and someone who understands the world and the economy in which we live. I am that leader" Bayh told supporters.

May 2, 2011 - Liz Cheney launches 2012 Presidential Bid

WASHINGTON, DC - During an appearance on CBS News, Former National Security Adviser Liz Cheney announced her intention to run for President in 2012. "From 2005 until 2009, I had the honor to serve as national security adviser to President Bush. I understand foreign policy because for the last two decades, I've been involved in foreign policy and international relations. These are challenging times and the American people are looking for someone who is ready to lead on day one" Cheney, the daughter of Former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, stated.

May 15, 2011 - O'Malley to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

BALTIMORE, MD - Governor of Maryland Martin O'Malley announced he was a candidate for President in 2012. "In Maryland, we stood up for marriage equality, to raise the minimum wage, to implement a cap and trade system, and we succeeded. Americans need a progressive champion in Washington to reverse George Bush's failed economic policies that have caused the wealth gap to thrive. It's time for new leadership and progressive values" O'Malley declared.

May 25, 2011 - Crist running for President

TALLAHASSEE, FL - Republican Governor of Florida Charlie Crist announced he would run for President in 2012. "I believe that the way to bridge the partisan divide in Washington is to work on common issues. There is consensus in Washington to pass a balanced budget amendment, to pass health care reform, and to reform our outdated tax code. I can get it done" Crist stated.

June 5, 2011 - Peter King to run for President

WASHINGTON, DC - House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King announced he would run for President in the 2012 election. "The only path to victory for the Republican Party is to have a candidate who is strong on national defense, fiscally responsible, and socially moderate. We aren't going to win opposing same-sex marriage and all gun control" King stated during a press conference.

June 10, 2011 - Watts to run for President

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - Former Congressman J.C. Watts announced his intention to run for President of the United States in 2012. "Our country needs to continue to broaden economic growth and increase transparency in government. We need to focus on finding ways to save taxpayer dollars while delivering effective services. It's time for new energy and fresh ideas" Watts stated.

July 5, 2011 - Blackburn enters 2012 presidential race

WASHINGTON, DC - Former U.S. Secretary of Energy Marsha Blackburn announced her intention to run for President in 2012. "We need to end our dependence on foreign energy and stop over regulating this economy. I want to ensure that the prosperity we've enjoyed continues while also doing what's necessary to weaken our enemies and protect our country" Blackburn stated.

August 5, 2011 - Poll: Frist, Patrick early front-runners for 2012

GOP Nomination
Bill Frist 30%
J.C. Watts 22%
Liz Cheney 15%
Mitt Romney 12%
Marsha Blackburn 10%
Jodi Rell 5%
Charlie Crist 4%
Peter King 1%
Other 1%

Democratic Nomination