Most overblown gaffe(s)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:37:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Most overblown gaffe(s)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most overblown gaffe(s)  (Read 684 times)
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »

Everyone makes mistakes, and some things politicians say are just plain stupid. However, sometimes there is so much hype and anticipation for politicians to make gaffes, that even statements that make perfect sense are swept up, called gaffes, and used to pummel that politician. In your opinion what are some quips considered gaffes by many, but you think were actually perfectly reasonable statements?

One of mine is a Mitt Romney "gaffe":

"I like being able to fire people who provide services to me." - Romney was speaking from the point of view of a consumer, not an employer. His point is one that speaks to the heart of the free market - competition. If a company, he was talking about health insurance companies, provides bad service, a consumer has the right to drop that service and go to another.

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »

Howard Dean's yell or whatever. Who the hell cares?

I also thought Romney's binder full of women comment wasn't bad at all (it was just bad phrasing), especially since the D's used that as a "comeback" from Obama's "you didn't build that", which was much worse.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 10:48:41 PM »

I also thought Romney's binder full of women comment wasn't bad at all (it was just bad phrasing), especially since the D's used that as a "comeback" from Obama's "you didn't build that", which was much worse.

Actually I was going to say "you didn't build that" for my answer, since Obama was objectively correct in pointing out how government builds roads and infrastructure that makes private business possible. Businesses don't (and can't) do that themselves.
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 11:13:33 PM »

Actually I was going to say "you didn't build that" for my answer, since Obama was objectively correct in pointing out how government builds roads and infrastructure that makes private business possible. Businesses don't (and can't) do that themselves.
Just to let you know, there's no such thing as a government run construction company in the US. The government has contracts with private companies, ya know the people who actually know what they're doing, who then proceed to build our roads and infrastructure. So yes, the private sector actually DID BUILD THAT!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 05:53:48 PM »

Stephane Dion said something like "Protestants have historically voted Tory, and Catholics usually voted Liberal" and people went crazy about an historical fact.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »

Stephane Dion said something like "Protestants have historically voted Tory, and Catholics usually voted Liberal" and people went crazy about an historical fact.

More proof that any Atlasian running for power would go down like a lead balloon. "You see the Slovak-Mexican minority in this region typically vote right-wing UNLESS they also are gay and like birdwatching, which statistics indicate..."
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 07:28:05 PM »

The Dean Scream was possibly the best speech ever.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:28:57 AM »

Potato(e)
Col. Roosevelt
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 02:00:08 AM »

Dean Scream. A guy's career was basically ruined...due to an energetic, joyous shout.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 12:54:32 PM »

Just to let you know, there's no such thing as a government run construction company in the US. The government has contracts with private companies, ya know the people who actually know what they're doing, who then proceed to build our roads and infrastructure. So yes, the private sector actually DID BUILD THAT!

It did build that with government support and contracts. After all, the big Eisenhower road project was most definitely a government plan, despite it being not totally government BUILT.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 01:04:10 PM »

Lol, I just googled "gaffe" and under the related links of the Wikipedia page was a link to our old friend Burt Bongerley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies