Will NoVa Ever Become Its Own State?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Will NoVa Ever Become Its Own State?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will NoVa Ever Become Its Own State?  (Read 2200 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:09:57 AM »

I brought this up in a scenario I made. It has its own culture, and I'm sure it and the southern part of the south would enjoy it for different reasons. Like Puerto Rico, I personally feel that this is inevitable.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:42:48 AM »

The "southern part of the south", which I think you mean Southern Virginia, is also become more Mid-Atlantic and less Southern as time goes on. There aren't really any true "Southern" parts of Virginia anymore.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 07:05:16 AM »

If NoVa really wanted to secede from VA maybe it could combine with DC to solve its lingering statehood question. Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William along with the enclosed independent cities is a compact region. Perhaps Montgomery and Prince George's from MD would want to join. Then the federal district could be shrunk to the Capitol, White House, and Pentagon along with the Mall, Arlington Cemetery and other adjacent buildings.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »

Adding the western part of Virginia to West Virginia would make more sense, namely the current VA-6 and VA-9 districts.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:30:56 AM »

If NoVa really wanted to secede from VA maybe it could combine with DC to solve its lingering statehood question. Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William along with the enclosed independent cities is a compact region. Perhaps Montgomery and Prince George's from MD would want to join. Then the federal district could be shrunk to the Capitol, White House, and Pentagon along with the Mall, Arlington Cemetery and other adjacent buildings.

Virginia would have had a recount in 2008.  Smiley

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 01:24:55 PM »

Will it ever tho?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »

This argument can be made for a number of regions. It is unlikely that any of them will ever happen, but fun to think about.

For example:

I believe Obama would have won the blue area on that map in 2008. Probably not ever going to happen, but the animosity between the Chicago area and the rest of the state is present and the demographic and political differences are there as well.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »

I brought this up in a scenario I made. It has its own culture, and I'm sure it and the southern part of the south would enjoy it for different reasons. Like Puerto Rico, I personally feel that this is inevitable.
When West Virginia became a state, there were supposed to be plebiscites for counties along the border to become part of West Virginia. This included areas opposite D.C. Perhaps the laws are still operative.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:06:55 AM »

The "southern part of the south", which I think you mean Southern Virginia, is also become more Mid-Atlantic and less Southern as time goes on. There aren't really any true "Southern" parts of Virginia anymore.

As someone with an aunt who lives in VA, I'm going to have to disagree with that.

As for the OP, absolutely not.  Cook County is never leaving Illinois, NYC is never leaving New York, etc.  Ever.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 10:15:49 AM »

Not really true. Once you get out of the core NOVA counties, you start seeing Confederate Flags and hearing Southern Accents. Of course, as NOVA continues to grow, it's demographic dominance of the state will become increasingly cemented. Maryland still has regions that are culturally Southern, though few would consider it a Southern state nowadays.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 06:26:56 PM »

Not really true. Once you get out of the core NOVA counties, you start seeing Confederate Flags and hearing Southern Accents. Of course, as NOVA continues to grow, it's demographic dominance of the state will become increasingly cemented. Maryland still has regions that are culturally Southern, though few would consider it a Southern state nowadays.

They may still be there, but they're not as prevalent as they were.

It's certainly a big change from the 8 years since I've last been there.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 06:55:15 PM »

Its not going to happen, and I don't think it should. Our politics is polarized enough without splitting one of the few competitive states we have into 2 safe states.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies