Mecca/Medina/Israel fall under the sea. What happens to Islam? Judaism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:21:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Mecca/Medina/Israel fall under the sea. What happens to Islam? Judaism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mecca/Medina/Israel fall under the sea. What happens to Islam? Judaism?  (Read 1515 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2015, 04:23:36 PM »

Let's say, in an extremely unlikely event, the ground beneath the entire region of Arabia near the Red Sea that includes Mecca and Medina collapses, and is then swallowed by the sea. The same thing happens to the entire land of Israel/Palestine, with the land itself collapsing and being swallowed into the Mediterranean Sea. The cataclysm happens in mere moments, with no way to save any relics, which are destroyed and lost forever.

What happens to Islam?

Basically I'm asking: how dependent is Islam on this physical land and its relics, like the Kaaba and Dome of the Rock and al-Asqa mosque?

What happens to Judaism?

With their Promised Land no longer even existing, what happens to the religion? How much does the Jewish faith depend on that plot of land existing?

What happens to Christianity?

Would these events affect Christianity at all?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 04:44:50 PM »

President Trump would immediately order a full invasion of the ocean in order to bring the dihydrogen monoxide terrorists who did this to justice.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 05:18:28 PM »

Since such a hypothetical would be unexplainable at present except as a literal Act Of God, every religion, including Christianity and Atheism would have to deal with it. Atheism, Deism, and other similar belief systems that assume a nonactive or even nonexistent Divine Power would have the most difficult time adapting. Islam would likely see the Hajj be done by boat, and go strongly anti-Wahabi. Judaism would likely become strongly anti-Zionist and add returning the Holy Land above the waters as something the Messiah will do when he comes.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2015, 05:37:48 PM by DavidB. »

Sounds like they should just hire some Dutch people. We know how to conquer the sea Smiley

Honestly it's pretty hard to imagine that Jerusalem would be swallowed by the sea, since it has a pretty high altitude. However, it is likely that Judaism would still keep its typical focus on Israel/Zion/Jerusalem, only as something that's currently impossible to reach, just as it was for most Jews during most centuries.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 05:39:09 PM »

That's not how geology works.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 05:41:48 PM »

Whatever, it's an interesting hypothetical question, right?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »

Rabbinic Judaism hardly needs the physical presence of Israel to exist, considering that it grew up in the absence of Israel.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2015, 08:53:57 PM by DavidB. »

Rabbinic Judaism hardly needs the physical presence of Israel to exist, considering that it grew up in the absence of Israel.
You literally don't know what you're talking about. Israel has always been extremely central to Judaism, just as much to anti-Zionist varieties in Judaism as to Zionist varieties by the way - the question is only how we should interpret certain historical events. I suggest you read up on the issue before making sweeping statements that are factually wrong about people's traditions (I studied Judaism in a secular, academic context as well, by the way). I don't do that about Islam either.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 09:34:48 PM »

Clearly, then, either I am not expressing myself well or you are misunderstanding my point or both, considering that my statement was in agreement with yours.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »

Maybe I simply didn't understand your post or your use of the word "hardly" (in which case I'd like to apologize for the tone in my last reply), or maybe I haven't been too clear myself either, but no, we don't seem to be in agreement. Whereas the possibility for Jews worldwide to immediately "pack up and move" to Israel has, of course, historically not been a necessity for Judaism, the idea has always been that the Jewish people eventually return to the Land of Israel and build the Third Temple. Israel's physical existence is necessary for Mashiach to come, to make all Jews go to Israel, and to build the Third Temple, which will lead us to the "world to come". (Theoretically, one could say that it doesn't matter if Israel is temporarily swallowed by water since one could believe that the water will once go away, which would be a sign of Mashiach's coming, but that's quite a "what-if"-stretch and definitely not a theological certainty.)
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 03:18:25 AM »

Let's say, in an extremely unlikely event, the ground beneath the entire region of Arabia near the Red Sea that includes Mecca and Medina collapses, and is then swallowed by the sea. The same thing happens to the entire land of Israel/Palestine, with the land itself collapsing and being swallowed into the Mediterranean Sea. The cataclysm happens in mere moments, with no way to save any relics, which are destroyed and lost forever.

What happens to Islam?

Basically I'm asking: how dependent is Islam on this physical land and its relics, like the Kaaba and Dome of the Rock and al-Asqa mosque?

What happens to Judaism?

With their Promised Land no longer even existing, what happens to the religion? How much does the Jewish faith depend on that plot of land existing?

What happens to Christianity?

Would these events affect Christianity at all?

Such an event would prove the Bible false so it is impossible.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 11:38:37 AM »

(Theoretically, one could say that it doesn't matter if Israel is temporarily swallowed by water since one could believe that the water will once go away, which would be a sign of Mashiach's coming, but that's quite a "what-if"-stretch and definitely not a theological certainty.)

This is what I had in mind, yes. Surely Israel falling under the sea would be so unusual that its return would not be much more difficult to believe.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 10:25:20 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2015, 10:29:19 PM by ag »

If anything, properly Jewish explanation would be very obvious.  It would run something like this:

Ben Gurion was not the Messiah.  Zionists have tried to usurp the Land of Israel for their ung-dly project. The people of Israel has been seduced into following them against the will of the G-d. Swallowing of the Land by the sea is G-dīs punishment for the sins of His chosen people. He has done it before: the Deluge, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc. G-d gave the Jews a chance to repent, He tolerated the violation of His will for decades, but the People  of Israel was sinking ever deeper into infamy. For decades the righteous rabbis warned about the wrath of G-d Zionists were provoking, but with time the pious voices were getting ever weaker. But, at last, he judged that the delusions of the People of Israel could only be righted by the gravest of actions. But the Land of Israel is not gone forever. When the Messiah comes, the Land will emerge once again to greet the righteous.

If anything, this would be a lot more traditionally Jewish than a State of Israel with a Knesset and an Army. Much easier to fit into the traditional Judaism, at the very least.

Ah, the disclaimer: I am not traditionally religious. So, the middle paragraph does not reflect my personal thinking. Nor am I wishing Israel disappear (god forbid!). Though I do agree with the good religious Jews that there are few things less Jewish out there than the current State of Israel. But that is a completely separate matter.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »

BTW, reading a fascinating book

http://www.amazon.com/Threat-Within-Century-Opposition-Zionism/dp/1842776991

Highly appropriate reading for the question at hand
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies