Let's Play 'Guess the Country from their exports'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:52:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Let's Play 'Guess the Country from their exports'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Let's Play 'Guess the Country from their exports'  (Read 5404 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:50:43 PM »

Wikipedia has a thing, usually in the articles entitled 'economy of [insert country here]', where it displays in the form of multiple squares put together to make a big square the exports of each country (each square representing one export, the bigger the square the greater weight of the export proportionally). I'm wondering how many people here, without looking at the link, can figure out which country has which export square. I will start below

Any guesses?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:58:54 PM »

Moldova
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 09:00:29 PM »

I looked at the link, and it's definitely not the one I would expect...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:22:13 PM »

Ukraine? Curly
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:36:49 PM »

A Central Asian country?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 01:39:32 AM »

A landlocked saharan African county with a low population, but enough infrastructure to support a mining industry. Majority of the population are tribal or poor farmers living on less than a dollar a day and not part of the economy. Probably has a decent Berber population, thought that comes with the region.

Mauritania, Mali, and Niger (pronounced differently in French) all come to mind. I originally thought it might be sub-saharan, but such a country would have more diverse exports like tropical crops.

Australia has a beef industry (it's a country I think of when uranium exports is mentioned) and is way too developed to just have an export economy.

If I'm wrong it's probably some -stan former USSR country but I doubt it.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 01:57:47 AM »

Niger, perhaps? I'm thinking of Colin Powell's speech at the UN.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 02:45:12 AM »

Kyrzygistan?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 07:33:24 AM »

It's clearly one of the least developed economies in the world - essentially no diversification; and the primary export is an unprocessed raw material.

I presume sub-Saharan African - indeed, I presume the Sahara is a factor, there's no sign of any agricultural exports.

I'm not sufficiently aware of major sources of radioactive elements to go any further.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 08:00:56 AM »
« Edited: October 05, 2015, 08:02:34 AM by Crab »

A landlocked saharan African county with a low population, but enough infrastructure to support a mining industry. Majority of the population are tribal or poor farmers living on less than a dollar a day and not part of the economy. Probably has a decent Berber population, thought that comes with the region.

Mauritania, Mali, and Niger (pronounced differently in French) all come to mind. I originally thought it might be sub-saharan, but such a country would have more diverse exports like tropical crops.

Australia has a beef industry (it's a country I think of when uranium exports is mentioned) and is way too developed to just have an export economy.

Of the countries mentioned, Niger has the most uranium. So that's what my guess is - I change my answer from Central Asia as those countries are at least somewhat industrialised.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 09:08:38 AM »

I think probably Niger or Chad.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »

First guess was Mongolia, though that would probably have a more diverse economy than that... A -stan country? Some people's arguments for Niger or similar countries make a lot of sense, too.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »

First guess was Mongolia, though that would probably have a more diverse economy than that... A -stan country? Some people's arguments for Niger or similar countries make a lot of sense, too.

Yeah, Mongolia exports a lot of copper, coal, etc.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »

Niger, perhaps? I'm thinking of Colin Powell's speech at the UN.

It's clearly one of the least developed economies in the world - essentially no diversification; and the primary export is an unprocessed raw material.

I presume sub-Saharan African - indeed, I presume the Sahara is a factor, there's no sign of any agricultural exports.

I'm not sufficiently aware of major sources of radioactive elements to go any further.

Of the countries mentioned, Niger has the most uranium. So that's what my guess is - I change my answer from Central Asia as those countries are at least somewhat industrialised.

Congrats everyone who said Niger that is the answer. Next round:

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »

Some Caribbean county, maybe Jamaica?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »

Unclassified transactions lol.

I will say the Cayman Islands.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »

Gold, fish, and tropical agriculture... Fiji?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 04:46:23 PM »

Ugh, which islands have gold deposits? Anyway, it I think this place sounds too diversified and therefore too large for the Caymans. Possibly Jamaica, although I would have thought they would export alcoholic beverages.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »

Surinam?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »

The not neglectable portion of industrial produce (textiles, most obviously; but there are also aircraft and televisions specially mentioned!) make the Carribean island country, which tropical fruits and fish would make think of, a bit more unlikely, imo. As Crabcake said, it has to be a larger one, otherwise it would not be so diversified, and what else is there around the equator and outside of the Carribean? Nothing but the bigger South Sea nations, so either Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga? Probably Fiji, but I could be totally wrong of course.

(Most likely I am, and maybe I'm just saying this to have a different one than all of the people saying something Carribean Tongue)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »

Dominican Republic?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 05:26:14 PM »

A few people called it.... It was Fiji

NEXT:

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »

Switzerland
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 05:58:56 PM »

Sounds like a first world country. Am I the only one that finds the "Recorded gramophone records" baffling?

LOL, maybe the UK making good use of all those Beatles LP records?
Mogrovejo
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »

Switzerland and especially UK exports must be well above $134 billion, unless the chart is very outdated. And there are no watches or oil.  At first I thought Czech republic but was intrigued by the size of the pharma sector and the absence of cars, it was the CDs mention that put me in the right track.

Tetro, I'd scrap the dollar amount to make the game funnier. Too big of a  hint.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies