So where has the libertarian Paulite vote gone? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:32:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  So where has the libertarian Paulite vote gone? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So where has the libertarian Paulite vote gone?  (Read 1435 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« on: October 05, 2015, 06:31:51 AM »

The anti-immigrant and Pat Buchanan-wing of the Paul support group is with Donald Trump and to a smaller extent Ted Cruz, the young college/high school male support is bleeding to Bernie Sanders, and the more religious Paul supporters are now with Ben Carson and Ted Cruz.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 06:45:22 AM »

The anti-immigrant and Pat Buchanan-wing of the Paul support group is with Donald Trump and to a smaller extent Ted Cruz, the young college/high school male support is bleeding to Bernie Sanders, and the more religious Paul supporters are now with Ben Carson and Ted Cruz.

Those must be some pretty uninformed libertarians.

Not everyone votes the way we vote. Ron Paul got a lot of support from anti-war anti-establishment types of either party. That person this election is not Rand Paul, who has cosied up to the establishment to a certain extent - it's Bernie Sanders. Sanders has a similar temperament to Ron Paul too, one that Rand does not share. Also former Paulite's have, to some extent, changed since then.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:34:05 PM »

I don't believe that Ron Paul's supporters are all "anti-immigrant" and I would say that it is unlikely that young libertarian professionals who support free markets and backed Paul in 2008 and 2012 are giving to vote for someone who believes in government-intervention into the market and someone without bold policies.

My guess is that most of Paul's 2008 supporters are either backing Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, or are waiting to support Gary Johnson as the nominee of the Libertarian Party.

I didn't say all of Ron Paul's supporters are anti-immigrant. I said that there is a strong portion of his supporters that definitely subscribe to the sort of fair-trade/anti-immigrant Pat Buchanan side of paleoconservative politics, and Donald Trump subscribes to that more loyally and more fervently than Rand Paul, as does Ted Cruz on the immigration side.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »

Its officially disbanded and all over the place. Some, like me, still have some support for Rand Paul. Others are uninformed, gone to Bernie Sanders (traitors!!), or other Republican candidates. God help us all if some of them have actually gone to Trump. Maybe we really are like 5% of the population Sad

Pew did a survey in 2013 that shows that 22% of Americans had a libertarian view when it came to government and politics so.....

But I'm going to wager that those same people want social security, medicare, farm programs, police department, and every other government program instituted in the last century.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies