Is it normal/desirable that school kids are in WhatsApp groups with teachers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:03:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is it normal/desirable that school kids are in WhatsApp groups with teachers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: Is it normal/desirable that school kids are in WhatsApp groups with teachers?  (Read 302 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2015, 12:31:23 PM »

Today in the Dutch "news": a high school teacher intended to send a picture of his private parts to his life partner through WhatsApp, but clicked the wrong conversation. The picture ended up in the WhatsApp group of a high school class he taught some subject.

Oops.

Apart from the LOL/WTF factor, I found it astounding that kids nowadays apparently interact with their teachers through their smartphones. I don't consider myself old, but in my time, I found e-mailing with teachers already quite a "low-threshold" activity (and smartphones barely existed). I don't really see the necessity of kids sending WhatsApp messages to or texting with their teachers, nor do I find it particularly appropriate. What's more, kids who don't have a smartphone might miss out on important information everyone should have access to, since apparently, this WhatsApp group was meant to be used for that.

What's your opinion on this?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »

I text my debate coaches pretty regularly, but no other teachers (as I frequently need a rapid response from them, and people check their texts more often than their email). I know some other teachers have a system that sends out text messages to all their students, but it's not something like a message group.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies