Opinion of the Swastika
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:33:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the Swastika
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your opinion of the swastika?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Opinion of the Swastika  (Read 1663 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2015, 06:04:56 AM »

Any sane person with a sense of history and knowing the historical significance would say FF.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:10:33 AM »

Oh, come on. Despite its eastern Asian roots, it's almost universally applied to the Nazis today, so it's definition has basically been changed to applying to the latter.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:15:48 AM »

Oh, come on. Despite its eastern Asian roots, it's almost universally applied to the Nazis today, so it's definition has basically been changed to applying to the latter.

I don't know why a symbol over 10, 000 years ago is applied with the Nazis and the definition has to be changed from that. The swastika is a symbol of purity, peace and good luck.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:19:45 AM »

I don't know why a symbol over 10, 000 years ago is applied with the Nazis and the definition has to be changed from that. The swastika is a symbol of purity, peace and good luck.

It certainly was pre-NSDAP, but the Nazis have changed that. Words/symbols and their meanings can change throughout time, like how "negro" and "retarded" used to be commonly acceptable words but now have negative connotations due to recent use and are deemed inappropriate.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 06:22:50 AM »

Most of us know the history of it, many of us agree that it's an attractive looking symbol, it doesn't matter.  It means something else now.  Words change their meaning, hand signals change their meaning, symbols change their meaning too.  Maybe in a 1000 years the swastika can be saved, not now.  

This is not the hill you want to die on.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 06:24:49 AM »

Most of us know the history of it, many of us agree that it's an attractive looking symbol, it doesn't matter.  It means something else now.  Words change their meaning, hand signals change their meaning, symbols change their meaning too.  Maybe in a 1000 years the swastika can be saved, not now.  

This is not the hill you want to die on.

I'm probably trying to save the image of the swastika which is the meaning is ingrained in western society is completely related to the nazis, yet still it still frustrates me, sigh.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »

I like the third dungeon in the Legend of Zelda.

(I know it's technically not a swastika, but w/e)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »

I don't have anything against it in the Hindu form, like in the OP. Wouldn't say FF because it's not really my thing, but really, in the right context and the right form (not the nazi symbol) by the right person (not a nazi) it's just fine. A nazi swastika definitely looks quite different and I don't think I really need to state my opinion on that particular symbol, because you guys know. In short, it depends.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »

HP mainly because people start topics like this to start useless and intense debates.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »

Any sane person with a sense of history and knowing the historical significance would say FF.

Since this particular swastika is not associated with the Nazis, I'll go with FF.
I like many things German and do not associate them with Nazis. German is a beautiful language,
for example.  I understand that the counter arguments are reasonable, however, of course.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 02:32:40 PM »

Also, it's a Jain symbol and Jainism is one of the most peacful religions.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 12:24:30 AM »

Is that a real dungeon? Really?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 12:35:23 AM »

Is that a real dungeon? Really?

Yep.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 12:38:02 AM »

FF(Am a hindu) and in Hinduism it means peace and well being
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 08:19:55 PM »

You seem to be making a habit out of ignoring reality.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 08:35:12 PM »

hs obviously. no problem if it's actually in a traditional context (i'm not going to say asian b/c it also exists in all kinds of other cultures) but we all know it isn't most of the time.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 08:42:45 PM »

I kinda get weirded out when I see it. I've climbed upon many pagodas and temples in the Far East and have glanced many swastikas.  Every time I look out as I'm making the rounds and see the broken cross, I break out my camera like a goofy Western tourist and take a picture.  All those Chinese people looking at me like I'm a typical gringo.  They must think, "Dude, that guy has never seen a swastika except on the History Channel.  Look at him taking pictures."  I don't apologize for it.  It does immediately remind me of the NSDAP, even though the temples were built long before they existed.

I have a long-time associate and good friend, one who has written me many letters of recommendation for various letters and advancements, who is a sometimes-practicing Hindu with whom I regularly discuss many current and past events.  I respect him deeply.  He has this one shirt with swastikas all over it.  Every time I see him wearing it--which hasn't been much lately because I haven't seen him in many years and we mostly keep in touch via phone and email--but every time I see the shirt I can't help but be mezmerized by the swastikas.  I don't necessarily think of taking over Poland and killing all the Slavs, Jews, Gypsies, Communists, and other undesirables.  I also don't think of some youthful, misguided punks beating up tourists on the streets of 1930s Berlin, or the Nuremberg Laws or the deaths of hundreds of thousands of American soldiers.  It's not really political like that.  I just think, "whoa, dude, that's a hackenkreutz.  radical."  It's very distracting.  

Can't really vote FF or HP on this one, but it's a weird question.  I realize that the overwhelming majority of its current (and historical) displays do not attempt to engender any negativity, but fair or not, you just can't expect many Westerners schooled in the history of Western Civilization to take the swastika seriously.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »

I had a great sweater once. Really awesome, wore it everywhere. Unfortunately, one day I accidentally cut myself cooking and promptly bled over it. The stain didn't come out. I hard to discard the sweater.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies