Who won the Homeless Paris Puppy Debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who won the Homeless Paris Puppy Debate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who won the Homeless Paris Puppy Debate?
Alcon

Antonio V

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Who won the Homeless Paris Puppy Debate?  (Read 1232 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:39:18 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=219952.25

I didn't read it and I'm not going to because it looks boring but let's see who Atlas Forum thinks won this clash.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »

I'm not reading it but I'd place every penny I have on  Alcon.  I haven't seen him lose a debate, ever. Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:37:06 AM »

Neither. I just read the whole thread and I give it to Clarko95 on page 4 (of 6 at present).

Um, I would not call Alcon (or vegetarians, if you meant to speak more broadly) "brainless". He is/they are anything but.

It is true that a vegetarian diet is cheaper than one that includes meat & fish products, and that there are significant long-term health benefits in reducing (or eliminating) meat consumption (especially of red meat). Additionally, the meat industry's practices are major contributors to pollution and rising prices of other food staples. You can get pretty much every nutritional item from a vegetarian diet that you would otherwise get from eating meat products.

I do share the belief that harming animals is immoral, and thus that slaughtering animals for food products is immoral, and yet I still eat meat, poultry, and fish products (especially fish; I'm Bengali afterall). I've never really heard any good moral arguments for eating meat in modern times; it was a topic I dreaded in debate because you simply couldn't defend it. I guess this should make me feel bad and makes me hypocritical, but oh well. Sorry Alcon Tongue

There's nothing extreme about vegetarianism (Going vegan seems extreme to me, however). But a pretty sizable portion of the world is vegetarian by choice or by situational/medical necessity (hell, Bill Clinton is vegetarian for medical reasons now), they seem to be doing just fine.

But "brainless minority" is a ridiculous way to characterize them.

He is able in one post to recognize the arguments at hand, then accept his own cognitive dissonance with those arguments. In a public forum I can easily imagine many heads nodding in concurrence. On top of that I saw no one counter his post, so after a public debate I can see many of the audience leaving with the thought, "I liked what that Clarko95 guy said."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »

Antonio made some horrible arguments, which Alcon responded strongly to at least up to the point at which I got tired of reading (though it did seem to border on strawmanning at times). But from the beginning Alcon was overly intent on turning the thread into an argument.  No, being mad about a puppy being stolen from a homeless person does not mean you don't care about animals.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »

Alcon. Wasn't a fair fight.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »

It certainly was a loss for me, considering I was dumb enough to waste my time in it. Tongue

(didn't vote in the poll ftr)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »

write-in: cat lovers
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »

Me. For not reading it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 10:33:58 PM »

Yes.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 04:23:41 AM »

It's a bit sad that it's become such a thing on Atlas to prefer silly one-liners and GIFs over substantive debate. Maybe it's my background in philosophy but I enjoy clear-cut logical arguments that gets into the cores of issues. 

I think there is a confusion between "I can't follow in-depth analysis" and "this is boring". I also get bored by things I don't understand (like a lecture in quantum physics) but I don't take that to mean it's intrinsically boring.

Alcon is actually one of the most enjoyable people to discuss with because he's intellectually honest and focused on what is relevant. Which is why he won this debate.

(And I say that as someone who eats meat pretty much every day Tongue )
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies