Somewhere in Oklahoma abolished Columbus Day
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:01:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Somewhere in Oklahoma abolished Columbus Day
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Somewhere in Oklahoma abolished Columbus Day  (Read 3195 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »

And replaces it with "Indigenous People Day"

http://www.newsiosity.com/articles/society/oklahoma-city-replaces-columbus-day-indigenous-peoples-day

I am STUNNED. Liberal action in OKLAHOMA. Not surprising that Minneapolis did this year's ago but somewhere in Oklahoma is doing something progressive?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »

Why not have both Columbus Day and Indigenous People's Day?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »

Why not have both Columbus Day and Indigenous People's Day?

For the same reason we don't have a Mao Day or a Pol Pot Day.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:44:52 AM »

I guess things like this are why "guilt liberal" has understandably become a pejorative.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »

Took 'em long enough
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »

I guess things like this are why "guilt liberal" has understandably become a pejorative.

What, you think we should celebrate Columbus?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »

I'm not too surprised at this; there are a lot of Native Americans in Oklahoma. Charles Curtis was from there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

Because liberals don't believe in honoring an enslaving, torturing, mass raping, genocidal tyrant?

Columbus was easily one of the worst humans of all time. Even by the standards of his time most people recognized him as a monster (the monarchs responsible for the Spanish Inquisition thought he was too brutal and removed him from his post), he's up there as noted with Mao and Pol Pot, and historical ones like Genghis Khan and Leopold II.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »

http://www.newsiosity.com/articles/society/oklahoma-city-replaces-columbus-day-indigenous-peoples-day

I am STUNNED. Liberal action in OKLAHOMA. Not surprising that Minneapolis did this year's ago but somewhere in Oklahoma is doing something progressive?

1) You really need to get your self-inflated image of yourself, your locale and your ideology under control.  Opposing the celebration of Columbus Day is not a "liberal" thing in and of itself.  Period.

2) Oklahoma is FILLED with American Indians ... how on EARTH does this surprise you?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 10:13:24 AM »

1) You really need to get your self-inflated image of yourself, your locale and your ideology under control.  Opposing the celebration of Columbus Day is not a "liberal" thing in and of itself.  Period.

2) Oklahoma is FILLED with American Indians ... how on EARTH does this surprise you?

Look at a list of cities that have abolished Columbus Day previously. It's places like Berkley, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Minneapolis, liberal strongholds.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2015, 10:19:19 AM by TDAS04 »

1) You really need to get your self-inflated image of yourself, your locale and your ideology under control.  Opposing the celebration of Columbus Day is not a "liberal" thing in and of itself.  Period.

Look at a list of cities that have abolished Columbus Day previously. It's places like Berkley, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Minneapolis, liberal strongholds.

South Dakota is the only state to have done so, but it's conservative (maybe not as conservative as Oklahoma, though).

I'm not too surprised at this; there are a lot of Native Americans in Oklahoma. Charles Curtis was from there.

Curtis was from Kansas, but yeah, Oklahoma has a large Native population.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »

Approximately 71,800 Native Americans live in South Dakota. (8.5%), 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2015, 10:38:32 AM by RINO Tom »

1) You really need to get your self-inflated image of yourself, your locale and your ideology under control.  Opposing the celebration of Columbus Day is not a "liberal" thing in and of itself.  Period.

Correlation vs. causation.  Conservatives (though split on the issue) tend to be more hawkish now, but in times past liberals (while also split) were more clearly more hawkish.  I don't believe we should relabel being more hawkish as conservative or liberal every 20-30 years because one party saw it as more politically advantageous at the time; it's neither.

Same with this.  Liberals exploited racial tension, ignoring civil rights for the first half of the 20th Century.  Conservatives did the same in the latter half.  It's hard to decide that one or the other is inherently conservative or liberal with that in mind, at least the way we use the terms now a days.  I understand you'd probably rather live with a narrative that glorifies your other views along the way by always associating your ideology with what history has deemed the "right" thing, but I don't accept that revisionism.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »

What, you think we should celebrate Columbus?

Because liberals don't believe in honoring an enslaving, torturing, mass raping, genocidal tyrant?

Columbus was easily one of the worst humans of all time. Even by the standards of his time most people recognized him as a monster (the monarchs responsible for the Spanish Inquisition thought he was too brutal and removed him from his post), he's up there as noted with Mao and Pol Pot, and historical ones like Genghis Khan and Leopold II.

What I don't think we should do is strip away from him what he did, which was open up the other half of the world to exploration, trade, and yes, conquest. I'm also reacting more against "Indigenous People Day" or whatever than I am for "Columbus Day." I thought for some time that we should just call it "Exploration Day" or something like that.

Yes, his sensibilities were rooted in the middle 15th century, but when religious organizations were burning people alive for being heretics, I don't understand turning Columbus into a villain. Might be that he does not have a religion behind him.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 11:38:38 AM »

sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »

Columbus Day is often celebrated as an Italian-American heritage day. Not that I care much for Christopher Columbus, nor do I think it's any municipality's job to get every group their own day, but I do wonder: What would Italian-Americans replace it with? Just ignore the fact that everyone else is celebrating "Indigenous People's Day" and celebrate Columbus Day on their own?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »

How are we sure that they are socially liberal?  I remember somewhere on the internet there was a Native American guy who was arguing against gay marriage and had a link to an anti-Columbus day group on his sig.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2015, 12:03:17 PM by shua »

Indigenous peoples, like everyone else, have their own holidays and festivals specific to their own varied traditions, so setting up an "Indigenous Peoples Day" is pretty cringe.    It would make sense to have an "Americas Day" or something like that which would recognize the world that Columbus' expeditions brought forth, but also the role of non-Europeans.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »

When I was in school they taught us about the Trail of Tears.

Angel of Death
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »

Not that surprising considering Oklahoma used to be Indian Territory.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »

who care
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »

I love these thinly veiled excuses to brag about Minneapolis.

"I can't believe somewhere in Oklahoma actually di... I mean MINNEAPOLIS DID THIS YEARS AGO ALONG WITH MANY OTHER AGREEABLY AWESOME AND SUPERIORLY PROGRESSIVE THINGS BECAUSE MINNEAPOLIS IS THE GREATEST BECAUSE IT'S WHERE I LIVE.. I mean sitll though I can't believe Jokelahoma could harbor such a place unlike MINNEAPOLIS WHICH HARBORS ALL KINDS OF AGREEABLY AWESOME AND SUPERIORLY PROGRESSIVE THINGS LIKE EVERYTHING A PROGRESSIVE COULD EVER WANT LIKE SPITTING IN CONSERVATIVES' DINNERS!"
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »

I love these thinly veiled excuses to brag about Minneapolis.

"I can't believe somewhere in Oklahoma actually di... I mean MINNEAPOLIS DID THIS YEARS AGO ALONG WITH MANY OTHER AGREEABLY AWESOME AND SUPERIORLY PROGRESSIVE THINGS BECAUSE MINNEAPOLIS IS THE GREATEST BECAUSE IT'S WHERE I LIVE.. I mean sitll though I can't believe Jokelahoma could harbor such a place unlike MINNEAPOLIS WHICH HARBORS ALL KINDS OF AGREEABLY AWESOME AND SUPERIORLY PROGRESSIVE THINGS LIKE EVERYTHING A PROGRESSIVE COULD EVER WANT LIKE SPITTING IN CONSERVATIVES' DINNERS!"

This made me laugh.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 05:20:56 PM »

"41% Native American town abolishes Columbus Day" is not a surprising headline and I'm not sure why it's worthy of a thread.

It's a thread because brtd needed another excuse to talk about Minneapolis again. You gotta problem with that?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »

It's because it's Oklahoma. How often does anywhere in Oklahoma implement progressive SJW policies?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies