Opinion of politicus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:45:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of politicus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Opinion of politicus  (Read 6279 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »

Does this entire row stem from the one thread on economic growth and capitalism? Shocked
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 09:20:16 AM »

Does this entire row stem from the one thread on economic growth and capitalism? Shocked

I think it rather stems from her being a bit insane. She's always had a history of sending angry drunken PMs to people, myself included, but this is of course on a new level.

She seems to take the internet a bit too seriously for her own good and I guess this last discussion triggered some sort of psychotic episode. The crazies often get obsessed with me, Solarstorm had a similar run, as did Einzige.

Anyway, I tried to advice her to calm down and talk to a medical professional but that only got me more sinister threats. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 09:30:17 AM »

Does Scandinavia have a high alcoholism rate? Just curious.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »

All northern European countries do. We have to make our own fun you see.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 09:47:49 AM »

Does Scandinavia have a high alcoholism rate? Just curious.

Actually Denmark's alcoholism rate is lower, according to the WHO, than Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, the USA, and the UK. 

Here's an interactive page for the prevalence of alcohol abuse problems worldwide:

http://gamapserver.who.int/gho/interactive_charts/substance_abuse/bod_alcohol_prevalence/atlas.html
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 09:51:08 AM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 09:52:50 AM by Torie »

The Nordic countries have a rather special history with alcohol and alcoholism, yes. I'd say this applies more to Norway, Sweden and Finland (countries with a state monopoly on selling alcohol) than to Denmark, though, at least nowadays. But not sure if this is relevant to the thread, playing the "internet doctor" is not really helpful when you hardly know anything about someone. I have sent stupid messages to people on Facebook when I was drunk in the past. Doesn't mean I'm an alcoholic, it means that I shouldn't be online after drinking.

Correct. And for disciplinary purposes, what counts is conduct. But given that the poster is highly intelligent and informed, and typically rational, such lash outs (I received one such PM back when myself), which seem to occur on a fairly regular basis,  seem somewhat at odds with that.  It's quite sad actually. If she has a problem, hopefully one day she will deal with it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 10:13:43 AM »

Denmark is more continental in its drinking habits than say Sweden or Finland.

Everyone can do a stupid thing when drunk once in a while but this is a bit more frequent. If you often do really bad things when drunk and still don't stop it's a sign of alcoholism. Though, of course, we have no real way of knowing whether it is due to alcohol or not.

I also, personally, think that being drunk is overused as an excuse. I get drunk most nights in a week (Swedish alcoholism represent!) and I've never engaged in repeated threats to some Atlas poster. Etc.

I think alcohol generally tends to lower peoples' inhibitions. For fairly normal, nice people that's a nice thing because they relax and have fun. With some people it brings out a lot of ugly stuff.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 11:41:26 AM »

"But remember that this is not some long distance cyberspace enmity with a guy in Australia or Montana, you are well within my reach shovel-face. So be a good little boy and piss off from both forums, otherwise this is about to become personal and switch to RL."

They're called personal messages for a reason. 

If a trend gets started where posters start to clutter up this board with PMs from other posters, then you'll have only yourself to blame.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »

"But remember that this is not some long distance cyberspace enmity with a guy in Australia or Montana, you are well within my reach shovel-face. So be a good little boy and piss off from both forums, otherwise this is about to become personal and switch to RL."

If a trend gets started where posters start to clutter up this board with PMs from other posters, then you'll have only yourself to blame.

PM's should not be posted at all without permission of the other party, but making physical threats is an exception to the rules about PM's that normally obtain.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »

PM's should not be posted at all without permission of the other party, but making physical threats is an exception to the rules about PM's that normally obtain.

I see.  If I say lovely things about you you're not allowed to broadcast them.  If I say I'm going to burn down your house you're obligated to broadcast it.

You guys really know how to create a welcoming environment.  That's why you're the moderators.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »

I see.  If I say lovely things about you you're not allowed to broadcast them.  If I say I'm going to burn down your house you're obligated to broadcast it.

You guys really know how to create a welcoming environment.  That's why you're the moderators.

Are you being sarcastic?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 12:07:49 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 12:14:20 PM by Torie »

I see.  If I say lovely things about you you're not allowed to broadcast them.  If I say I'm going to burn down your house you're obligated to broadcast it.

You guys really know how to create a welcoming environment.  That's why you're the moderators.

You're not obligated to "broadcast it" obviously, and it is not something really that should be done in my view (as opposed to reporting it to the Cave), but I don't consider it a violation of the terms of use. If someone says something lovely to you in a PM Angus, just ask their permission to post it, and it's all good. So let me give you permission in advance to post any PM I send you, stating that I think you are the most talented writer on the forum. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 12:13:10 PM »

Kiss

but I still y'all are overreacting to politicus.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »

How can you overreact to death threats from an insane person?  I'm not suggesting Gustaf should hire security, but it's not something to take lightly.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »

My original post here was going to read:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

But recent allegations in this thread have started to become...concerning, so I'm going to reserve judgment.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2015, 03:50:24 PM »

everyone who votes HP in this poll is literally crazy, just saying

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2015, 03:54:43 PM »

wait so can I like switch my vote?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2015, 04:15:52 PM »

Politicus has a lot to understand about Atlas. Moderators can provoke and troll you all they want. It's a privilege they've granted themselves. And once you slip up, they have their excuse to ban you, even if they're the ones who started it. It's all part of the lame internet power trip that must be the highlight of an otherwise disappointing life.

You lose, politicus. Too bad, I was cheering for you. Hope you stick around on AAD.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2015, 05:08:31 PM »

How can you overreact to death threats from an insane person?

I'm not seeing any death threats, and I'm not qualified to determine whether a person is insane.  I don't think we're on the same frequency here, and I don't really want to argue, so we'll have to agree to disagree. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »

Oh, chill. This wasn't even a message sent on here. But yeah, if you wanna be on your high horse in a public forum and constantly harass people in personal messages then maybe it'll bite you in the ass eventually.

I think you know better Angus. If you wanna support the crazy, do so directly, not by interpreting rules in a weird way.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 07:34:47 PM by angus »

Oh, chill. This wasn't even a message sent on here. But yeah, if you wanna be on your high horse in a public forum and constantly harass people in personal messages then maybe it'll bite you in the ass eventually.

I think you know better Angus. If you wanna support the crazy, do so directly, not by interpreting rules in a weird way.

Yes, I do know better than many.  I know better than to act like an outraged schoolgirl and post private messages publicly.  When I call someone out, I do it in full view of the forum.  Not only have I never harassed anyone in a personal message, but I also have never posted the contents of a personal message on this forum.  And yes, I think that makes my horse a tall one.  Call my interpretation weird if you want, but if it's weird not to be a bully, then I'm weird.  It is indeed very fortunate for all of us to have on this forum such an expert in psychology who is confident enough to decide who is crazy and who is weird.  

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »

Yes, I do know better than many.  I know better than to act like an outraged schoolgirl and post private messages publicly.  When I call someone out, I do it in full view of the forum.  Not only have I never harassed anyone in a personal message, but I also have never posted the contents of a personal message on this forum.  And yes, I think that makes my horse a tall one.  Call my interpretation weird if you want, but if it's weird not to be a bully, then I'm weird.  It is indeed very fortunate for all of us to have on this forum such an expert in psychology who is confident enough to decide who is crazy and who is weird.  

No, really. Politicus has sent me insane messages for ages and I've said nothing. She eventually got so upset she issued threats over disagreements. If you want to take the side of the person so easily offended she would always block, ignore or issue threats against anyone who disagreed with them, be my guest. But I think that you don't actually want to. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 09:51:13 PM »

I'm not defending Politicus by any means, and if that's confirmed she should be severely infracted, but... Are we really sure this is her? There are plenty of precedents for trolls posing as someone else on AAD (dead0, Compeuter and Tender most famously).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 10:01:02 PM »

I'm not defending Politicus by any means, and if that's confirmed she should be severely infracted, but... Are we really sure this is her? There are plenty of precedents for trolls posing as someone else on AAD (dead0, Compeuter and Tender most famously).

AAD administration did confirm that it was a Denmark based account and it's been crossposting with the one on here for a fair bit. So with 99% certainty yes. Of course, once someone on AAD suggested she could save herself by saying it was a joke she did after another 24 hours or so. Smiley

(in other words, once she realized her drunken bullying was not effective she backtracked)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 10:13:57 PM »

Oh. That is very, very disappointing. I genuinely liked her until this whole debacle.

At this point, I guess dead0man said everything that needs to be said about her.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies