Opinion of politicus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:46:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of politicus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Opinion of politicus  (Read 6324 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2015, 10:35:58 PM »

I'm not defending Politicus by any means, and if that's confirmed she should be severely infracted, but... Are we really sure this is her? There are plenty of precedents for trolls posing as someone else on AAD (dead0, Compeuter and Tender most famously).

The Tender blubb was an obvious joke, not really in the same category.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2015, 11:09:20 PM »

everyone who votes HP in this poll is literally crazy, just saying

"But remember that this is not some long distance cyberspace enmity with a guy in Australia or Montana, you are well within my reach shovel-face. So be a good little boy and piss off from both forums, otherwise this is about to become personal and switch to RL."

You're suggesting my post was bad? These PMs to Gustaf weren't even sent (or published) when I posted that. What's more, no one can truly disagree that Politicus contributed so much to the International Elections board, and my post needs to be seen in that light.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2015, 05:41:06 AM »

"But remember that this is not some long distance cyberspace enmity with a guy in Australia or Montana, you are well within my reach shovel-face. So be a good little boy and piss off from both forums, otherwise this is about to become personal and switch to RL."

You're suggesting my post was bad? These PMs to Gustaf weren't even sent (or published) when I posted that. What's more, no one can truly disagree that Politicus contributed so much to the International Elections board, and my post needs to be seen in that light.

This is really just an extension of her existing personality. Politicus has been harassing posters with drunken PMs for years, just not quite on this level. So, as I said, it's a sad reflection on the average Atlas poster's judgment that so many didn't see it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2015, 06:31:06 AM »

This is really just an extension of her existing personality. Politicus has been harassing posters with drunken PMs for years, just not quite on this level. So, as I said, it's a sad reflection on the average Atlas poster's judgment that so many didn't see it.

I didn't see these drunken PMs. What horrible judgement I must have Sad
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2015, 08:11:04 AM »

They're called personal messages for a reason.  

If a trend gets started where posters start to clutter up this board with PMs from other posters, then you'll have only yourself to blame.

Oh, chill. This wasn't even a message sent on here. But yeah, if you wanna be on your high horse in a public forum and constantly harass people in personal messages then maybe it'll bite you in the ass eventually.

I think you know better Angus. If you wanna support the crazy, do so directly, not by interpreting rules in a weird way.

Yes, I do know better than many.  I know better than to act like an outraged schoolgirl and post private messages publicly.  When I call someone out, I do it in full view of the forum.  Not only have I never harassed anyone in a personal message, but I also have never posted the contents of a personal message on this forum.  And yes, I think that makes my horse a tall one.  Call my interpretation weird if you want, but if it's weird not to be a bully, then I'm weird.  It is indeed very fortunate for all of us to have on this forum such an expert in psychology who is confident enough to decide who is crazy and who is weird.  

No, really. Politicus has sent me insane messages for ages and I've said nothing. She eventually got so upset she issued threats over disagreements. If you want to take the side of the person so easily offended she would always block, ignore or issue threats against anyone who disagreed with them, be my guest. But I think that you don't actually want to. Tongue

I know you have been a moderator for a very long time, and I know that it's probably a thankless task.  Still, I was a astonished that you'd post a personal message.  I would not do that.  Also, if in your position as moderator you feel that you need to use your mod superpowers, then it seems unseemly to broadcast it here.  I don't support bannings and suspensions of or editing of posts by any one other than the original poster, but if you have to have such recrimination, or if you genuinely feel harassed and feel that discussion is warranted, then such discussions ought to stay in the moderator cave. 

Also, if every drunken diatribe merited an opinion thread, I'd have racked up at least a thousand of them by now.  I disagree with politicus about half the time, but she is well informed and I admire her for her courage for speaking unpopular opinions.  That she lets you get the better of her is a weakness on her part, but a forgivable one, because you can be very trying at times.  Admittedly, the PM is a little creepy.  If I want to call you a jerk I do it out here in the open.  Still, I don't think I"m going to convince you that you're over-reacting, so I'm not going to argue with you any more.

Good day.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 10:45:08 AM by DavidB. »

Not sure when these threads did become evaluations of posters' character/personality instead of evaluations of posters' posting behavior. Of course that doesn't excuse these threatening PMs.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »

No. Get this off here right now.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2015, 10:33:12 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 10:41:18 AM by dallasfan65 »

Sure. What's bad about the post is it makes a broad, sweeping statement: "everyone who votes HP in this poll is literally crazy." One can be a big contributor to certain threads or boards and still be a HP; I for one think that personal threats make somebody HP-caliber. What's more is that the subject of the OP is probably closer to "crazy" than the people voting HP.

For the record, this isn't entirely anything new - just ask oakvale or hashemite.

E: Also, politicus just made a sock posting stuff like this and that so...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »

If a trend gets started where posters start to clutter up this board with PMs from other posters, then you'll have only yourself to blame.

Oh, chill. This wasn't even a message sent on here. But yeah, if you wanna be on your high horse in a public forum and constantly harass people in personal messages then maybe it'll bite you in the ass eventually.

I think you know better Angus. If you wanna support the crazy, do so directly, not by interpreting rules in a weird way.

Yes, I do know better than many.  I know better than to act like an outraged schoolgirl and post private messages publicly.  When I call someone out, I do it in full view of the forum.  Not only have I never harassed anyone in a personal message, but I also have never posted the contents of a personal message on this forum.  And yes, I think that makes my horse a tall one.  Call my interpretation weird if you want, but if it's weird not to be a bully, then I'm weird.  It is indeed very fortunate for all of us to have on this forum such an expert in psychology who is confident enough to decide who is crazy and who is weird. 

No, really. Politicus has sent me insane messages for ages and I've said nothing. She eventually got so upset she issued threats over disagreements. If you want to take the side of the person so easily offended she would always block, ignore or issue threats against anyone who disagreed with them, be my guest. But I think that you don't actually want to. Tongue

I know you have been a moderator for a very long time, and I know that it's probably a thankless task.  Still, I was a astonished that you'd post a personal message.  I would not do that.  Also, if in your position as moderator you feel that you need to use your mod superpowers, then it seems unseemly to broadcast it here.  I don't support bannings and suspensions of or editing of posts by any one other than the original poster, but if you have to have such recrimination, or if you genuinely feel harassed and feel that discussion is warranted, then such discussions ought to stay in the moderator cave. 

Also, if every drunken diatribe merited an opinion thread, I'd have racked up at least a thousand of them by now.  I disagree with politicus about half the time, but she is well informed and I admire her for her courage for speaking unpopular opinions.  That she lets you get the better of her is a weakness on her part, but a forgivable one, because you can be very trying at times.  Admittedly, the PM is a little creepy.  If I want to call you a jerk I do it out here in the open.  Still, I don't think I"m going to convince you that you're over-reacting, so I'm not going to argue with you any more.

Good day.

That's the real discussion we should be having. Why is it that moderators go out of their way to relentlessly troll, provoke, and purposely upset posters for the sheer joy of it all? Anyone else doing this would be moderated.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 10:56:46 AM by oakvale »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2015, 11:09:59 AM »

Yes, I do know better than many.  I know better than to act like an outraged schoolgirl and post private messages publicly.  When I call someone out, I do it in full view of the forum.  Not only have I never harassed anyone in a personal message, but I also have never posted the contents of a personal message on this forum.  And yes, I think that makes my horse a tall one.  Call my interpretation weird if you want, but if it's weird not to be a bully, then I'm weird.  It is indeed very fortunate for all of us to have on this forum such an expert in psychology who is confident enough to decide who is crazy and who is weird.  

I know you have been a moderator for a very long time, and I know that it's probably a thankless task.  Still, I was a astonished that you'd post a personal message.  I would not do that.  Also, if in your position as moderator you feel that you need to use your mod superpowers, then it seems unseemly to broadcast it here.  I don't support bannings and suspensions of or editing of posts by any one other than the original poster, but if you have to have such recrimination, or if you genuinely feel harassed and feel that discussion is warranted, then such discussions ought to stay in the moderator cave.  

Also, if every drunken diatribe merited an opinion thread, I'd have racked up at least a thousand of them by now.  I disagree with politicus about half the time, but she is well informed and I admire her for her courage for speaking unpopular opinions.  That she lets you get the better of her is a weakness on her part, but a forgivable one, because you can be very trying at times.  Admittedly, the PM is a little creepy.  If I want to call you a jerk I do it out here in the open.  Still, I don't think I"m going to convince you that you're over-reacting, so I'm not going to argue with you any more.

Good day.

That's the real discussion we should be having. Why is it that moderators go out of their way to relentlessly troll, provoke, and purposely upset posters for the sheer joy of it all? Anyone else doing this would be moderated.

Because you've been a bad influence on us?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »

^zing? Are you mad because I asked why you're a mod and opebo was banned? You've had a weird hate thing going on lately. That must be it.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2015, 11:29:13 AM »

Still, I was a astonished that you'd post a personal message.  I would not do that.

in general, sure, but threats are obviously a different matter
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »

Still, I was a astonished that you'd post a personal message.  I would not do that.

Yeah, I agree with that. These threats are bizarre.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »

Yeah, I agree with that. These threats are bizarre.
indeed
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2015, 12:06:04 PM »

How in the world did Bgwah manage to spin even this into an argument about muh fascist mods? You guys need better hobbies.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2015, 12:11:07 PM »

FF, never had a reason to think otherwise, and I don't follow the INT board that closely other than glossing over it from time to time, but I have a hard time believing that someone like her would just lash out without feeling provoked somehow. But this all reads like bad drama, so I won't pretend to know what's going on. Maybe chill out and I hope she comes back.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 12:24:27 PM by angus »

Still, I was a astonished that you'd post a personal message.  I would not do that.

Genuine threats are a problem, but:

(1) I am not convinced of any genuine threat in this case
(2) if it is a genuine threat then the appropriate agencies should be contacted
(3) no threat, real or perceived, justifies posting a personal message, because in this situation it serves no purpose other than to cast aspersions upon the character of a poster.  In fact, upon the characters of two posters, since they are both diminished at once.  She because now we'll think twice before going drinking with her.  He because now we'll never, ever trust him with any secret.
(4)  As bad as drunk driving is, it's even worse when a cop does it.  It makes us lose faith in the entire system.  I'd say that such a cop seems unfit to be a cop and ought to have the decency to quit his job before he gives all cops a bad name.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »

Hmmm, I totally agree that huge offensive trolls shouldn't be mods and mods shouldn't be huge offensive trolls (not sure if Gustaf fits that description though, I haven't had any unpleasant encounters with him, but I did repeatedly experience said unpleasant encounters with a certain other mod, who seems unfit for the job...), but I can hardly blame Gustaf for disclosing the information in threatening PMs. A threatening PM to a user can be deemed relevant to the entire community, since we all ought to feel safe on Atlas. If such things are happening, I understand why someone would want to disclose that.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2015, 12:32:07 PM »

Good day.

1. Since the message was not on this forum it's hardly covered by any policy on here.

2. I generally see no moral reason to respect the "privacy" of unsolicited personal attacks.

3. I am obviously not going to be involved in any decision on her because I'm personally involved. So I think I should have the same right as anyone else to defend myself in public against her attacks on me.

4. I'm not sure how I'm overreacting exactly. I haven't done much beyond calling her out on it. I think it is weird that you think her stalking me, publishing my personal information on the forum and (literally) saying my face is ugly is fine, but me responding that she is acting insane is an "overreaction". I find it hard to buy that you would, from an objective view point, make that choice.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2015, 12:33:53 PM »

^zing? Are you mad because I asked why you're a mod and opebo was banned? You've had a weird hate thing going on lately. That must be it.

Honey, you really don't bother me at all. It is always a pleasure to "see" you surface every once in awhile from your new digs to share your little insights about us.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2015, 12:37:05 PM »

Still, I was a astonished that you'd post a personal message.  I would not do that.

Genuine threats are a problem, but:

(1) I am not convinced of any genuine threat in this case
(2) if it is a genuine threat then the appropriate agencies should be contacted
(3) no threat, real or perceived, justifies posting a personal message, because in this situation it serves no purpose other than to cast aspersions upon the character of a poster.  In fact, upon the characters of two posters, since they are both diminished at once.  She because now we'll think twice before going drinking with her.  He because now we'll never, ever trust him with any secret.
(4)  As bad as drunk driving is, it's even worse when a cop does it.  It makes us lose faith in the entire system.  I'd say that such a cop seems unfit to be a cop and ought to have the decency to quit his job before he gives all cops a bad name.

How is writing a message calling me a "shovel face" and threatening me "sharing a secret"? Your principle is pretty bizarre. Why on Earth would I have any obligation to respect her privacy in those PMs when she cyberstalked me and put up my Facebook profile on here?

You should maybe realize that I have done nothing that is prohibited. Anyone could do what I did. It's not drunk driving it's like, I don't know, driving? Or, actually, it's kind of like reading out a terrorist threat on TV. You know, disrespectful of bin Laden's privacy and all but still not really against any law. Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »

Not sure when these threads did become evaluations of posters' character/personality instead of evaluations of posters' posting behavior. Of course that doesn't excuse these threatening PMs.

What I meant was that this is a step beyond, but angry somewhat threatening PMs to random people has been a staple of her behaviour for a long time. I thought it had happened to enough people that it was commonly known but by reactions here I guess not.

The start of this whole thing, after all, was her attempt to silence a poster by threatening to delete the Portugal thread, as she later did.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »

Honey, you really don't bother me at all. It is always a pleasure to "see" you surface every once in awhile from your new digs to share your little insights about us.

Ah, I see. Your frequent sniping of me suggests otherwise, but I'll go ahead and take your word for it.

Perhaps it was unreasonable of me to expect any of you to defend the indefensible.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »

saying my face is ugly is fine, but me responding that she is acting insane is an "overreaction". I find it hard to buy that you would, from an objective view point, make that choice.

I was wondering about shovelface.  I had assumed that it was some Germanic or Scandanavian reference, and whether she was posting in English at all. 

Not sure what choices I'd make.  Doesn't matter because now I'm over it.  I'm desensitized, as they say.  I'm like the jurors who refused to convict the police who beat Rodney King.  So much exposure has made me think it's all normal.  Post whatever messages you want.  I'm bowing out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies