Why Do You Believe? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:25:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why Do You Believe? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Do You Believe?  (Read 5327 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: October 15, 2015, 06:05:26 AM »

Good discussion so far Alcon.

I think to expand a little on your argument, if the theistic god is placed ‘outside of space-time’ that doesn’t deal with the fact that according to theists, god acts within space-time. That’s what makes it ‘god like.’; impacting on universal events, human events, giving revelation etc. So not only are assumptions being made about things outside of space-time, assumptions are being made about how this domain interacts with things inside of space-time. How can it be ascertained that things outside of space-time (if things can have residence in such an place) can influence events in this universe?

If we endow things outside of space-time with god like assumptions because we assume it must have different properties (or has no need to follow any properties at all) to our own universe, perhaps things out side of space-time consider things inside of space-time to be godlike to them because we have different properties or are not similarly constrained. Perhaps the immaterial are in awe of the material. Just a thought.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:01:49 PM »

I'll refer to Albert Camus, a French Nobel Prize-winning philosopher:

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live as if there isn't and to die to find out that there is."

How can you live out your life as if there is a god when there are countless iterations of what god is and what it wants?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies