Should New York City ban Columbus Day?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:42:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should New York City ban Columbus Day?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Should New York City ban Columbus Day?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Should New York City ban Columbus Day?  (Read 14428 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 10:53:06 PM »

The majority of states no longer observe Columbus Day, so I guess getting rid of it wouldn't be too bad. Now that white assimilation happened we don't need to give a certain group of whites their own holiday.

RIP St. Patrick's Day Sad

St. Patrick's Day isn't an official holiday by government standards. Columbus Day is.
Col. Roosevelt
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 11:27:56 PM »

Your kind are worse than the Tea Party, SJW filth.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 11:32:07 PM »

Your kind are worse than the Tea Party, SJW filth.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 12:02:23 AM »

I imagine they won't because Bill DeBlasio is a great man and wouldn't do something so ignorant.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 12:05:57 AM »

Lol they actually made an episode of the Sopranos about this whole "banning" Columbus Day thing.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 12:19:42 AM »

I imagine they won't because Bill DeBlasio is a great man and wouldn't do something so ignorant.

>Bill DeBlasido
>Good Man

Pick one.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 12:24:34 AM »

>Bill DeBlasido
>Good Man

Pick one.

He's both.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 12:41:40 AM »

>Bill DeBlasido
>Good Man

Pick one.

De Blasio is near indisputably the best Mayor in America and one of the best politicians as a whole in this nation with a beautiful family and a record beyond compare. He has all the proper values I look for in a politician. Quite possibly the best Mayor since LaGuardia? Perhaps even better because Fiorello has better and worse stuff.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 05:35:18 AM »

Like every year, BRTD complains about Columbus Day.
Probably because it happens every year?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 08:02:25 AM »

>Bill DeBlasido
>Good Man

Pick one.

De Blasio is near indisputably the best Mayor in America and one of the best politicians as a whole in this nation with a beautiful family and a record beyond compare. He has all the proper values I look for in a politician. Quite possibly the best Mayor since LaGuardia? Perhaps even better because Fiorello has better and worse stuff.

What? No. No one believes this. He is at best a mediocrity.
whiplash
Rookie
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »

Columbus was a man who started the biggest genocide the history knows. The Black Lion awaits.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »

Since "LOL no" is not an option, I voted No.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 11:21:51 PM »

Columbus was a man who started the biggest genocide the history knows. The Black Lion awaits.
Columbus was a piece of sh**t, enough of a piece of sh**t that we don't have to make up sh**t like this to make him look bad.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2015, 11:30:37 PM »

>Bill DeBlasido
>Good Man

Pick one.

What? No. No one believes this. He is at best a mediocrity.

I do, because I have a brain.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:37 PM »

What is this "black lion"? Is it a terrorist group?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2015, 12:11:18 AM »

Yea, cos' this is #1 issue in this country, this issue is so important.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 09:24:24 AM »

TBH, it's pretty annoying when people dismiss some issues as irrelevant because apparently, there are other issues that require more attention. If we only focused on the one/few issues that you deem most important, everything else would go very poorly. Managing a government properly involves addressing all things that can be improved, not merely dismissing those deemed minor just because they are thought of as such. Just because Columbus Day isn't the most pressing issue in modern society, that doesn't mean we should dismiss the issue completely for no good reason.

Yea you're right, however many social liberal and progressives make this issue and other feminist SJW issues on the headline focusing issues on un-needed conversation of social issues, instead of a real economic conversation and conversation on economic issues and fighting corruption.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2015, 10:21:25 AM »

People see Columbus Day more as a symbol of Italian heritage and exploration, than about the man himself. 

I think Enrico Fermi could replace Columbus and everyone would be happy with that.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »

TBH, it's pretty annoying when people dismiss some issues as irrelevant because apparently, there are other issues that require more attention. If we only focused on the one/few issues that you deem most important, everything else would go very poorly. Managing a government properly involves addressing all things that can be improved, not merely dismissing those deemed minor just because they are thought of as such. Just because Columbus Day isn't the most pressing issue in modern society, that doesn't mean we should dismiss the issue completely for no good reason.

Exactly. And besides, the sooner we can get Columbus Day renamed, the sooner we can move on to more important issues after about a week of impotent conservative and racist tears. Simply putting off issues like this until later won't work unless everyone is on board with doing that.

Yea you're right, however many social liberal and progressives make this issue and other feminist SJW issues on the headline focusing issues on un-needed conversation of social issues, instead of a real economic conversation and conversation on economic issues and fighting corruption.

Uh, social issues are pretty important for people who aren't white, male, cisgender, sraight, etc.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »

The holiday never made sense to me ever, even before Columbus became toxic as a PC matter.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »

Exactly. And besides, the sooner we can get Columbus Day renamed, the sooner we can move on to more important issues after about a week of impotent conservative and racist tears. Simply putting off issues like this until later won't work unless everyone is on board with doing that.

Yes keep figthing the good cause, ignore all those people who suffer from real problems which could be dealt with instead.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Uh, social issues are pretty important for people who aren't white, male, cisgender, sraight, etc.[/quote]

As all the groups who aren't White straight cisgender ablebody Anglo-Saxon Protestant make up a rather clear majority of the American electorate (even if we only include the people who votes), it clearly not "pretty important" to all those people.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2015, 03:54:09 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 03:57:32 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

America isn't a "nation-state" so much as it is a "multi-nation state". There are many indigenous communities in America, with their own traditions, languages and customs. It's crucial that the American government respect these communities because they were forcibly absorbed into the American polity in the not-so distant past. Is removing state-sanction for Columbus Day important? Not especially, I'm far more concerned about poverty in those communities but removing state-sanction for Columbus Day would be a symbolic move.

Indigenous communities actually care about this issue. It's a "real" issue for them. It's worth respecting that concern for obvious moral reasons: conquered peoples deserve to be respected by states, it's a crucial aspect of human rights.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »

People see Columbus Day more as a symbol of Italian heritage and exploration, than about the man himself. 

I think Enrico Fermi could replace Columbus and everyone would be happy with that.

^^^^^

Only racists and Italians are attached to Columbus Day. I can't say that I'm concerned about the racists but I think that Italian-Americans deserve some sort of celebration for their contributions to American society, Enrico Fermi seems like a good choice.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2015, 04:16:03 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 04:19:58 PM by DemPGH »

Yeah, you have to watch saying, "People are talking about X when people are starving" because it can be applied to anything, but in this case it resonates a bit. The Columbus thing really strikes me as a pseudo issue/social justice warrior/keyboard warrior issue (whatever the moniker is) because a lot of people throwing around the verbiage about him being Hitler and genocide or whatever really, I think, are making a comparison that's simply not there. The acquisition of land and wealth drove people to spread out in the Middle Ages, and that's what was happening. The conquest of the NW was literally inevitable. Columbus did something that no one else did (discover another hemisphere), and the keyboard warrior detractors don't give him credit for it (nor, I bet, have they read any of his journals), which is the primary thing that loses me when they start their blathering. It could be said that he was a poor administrator, because he was really just a ship captain, and so Spain, the Church, and Europe saw fit to appoint bureaucrats to oversee the administration of the NW when they realized that the whole thing was a much larger endeavor than thought. But his accomplishment remains.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »

Yeah, you have to watch saying, "People are talking about X when people are starving" because it can be applied to anything, but in this case it resonates a bit. The Columbus thing really strikes me as a pseudo issue/social justice warrior/keyboard warrior issue (whatever the moniker is) because a lot of people throwing around the verbiage about him being Hitler and genocide or whatever really, I think, are making a comparison that's simply not there. The acquisition of land and wealth drove people to spread out in the Middle Ages, and that's what was happening. The conquest of the NW was literally inevitable. Columbus did something that no one else did (discover another hemisphere), and the keyboard warrior detractors don't give him credit for it (nor, I bet, have they read any of his journals), which is the primary thing that loses me when they start their blathering. It could be said that he was a poor administrator, because he was really just a ship captain, and so Spain, the Church, and Europe saw fit to appoint bureaucrats to oversee the administration of the NW when they realized where he actually was. But his accomplishment was an accomplishment.

I'm with the whole Columbus being a horrible excuse for a human being, but I fail to see how that make him distinct from a whole lot of other great men and important historical figures. People who's mentioned in the history books are usual so because they have made some decisions which had horrible effects on a lot of people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies