Kevin McCarthy DROPS OUT, the House GOP in absolute chaos
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:33:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kevin McCarthy DROPS OUT, the House GOP in absolute chaos
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy DROPS OUT, the House GOP in absolute chaos  (Read 9429 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 01:54:27 PM »

I had heard he was "unbeatable", but I hadn't heard him speak.  I listen to NPR (nearly) everyday, watch a little news on the PBS, I knew of the guy.  Him speaking on Hannity certainly wasn't an everyday headline for two weeks.

...and I still don't get why it would negate me making fun of a Clinton fan for making fun of another politico for being untrustable.

Here is what McCarthy said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here is the post you responded to:

Understand?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 01:57:14 PM »

I had heard he was "unbeatable", but I hadn't heard him speak.  I listen to NPR (nearly) everyday, watch a little news on the PBS, I knew of the guy.  Him speaking on Hannity certainly wasn't an everyday headline for two weeks.

...and I still don't get why it would negate me making fun of a Clinton fan for making fun of another politico for being untrustable.

Here is what McCarthy said:

Here is the post you responded to:

Understand?
Yes.  Thank you.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »

The inmates are truly running the asylum now.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 03:19:38 PM »

The Democrats need to play hardball here and outright refuse to work with the Republican Party as they are unfit to govern. All Democratic Presidential candidates should be required to sign a pledge saying they will not invite any Republican Congressional leaders to the White House for the next 4 years, acknowledge any questions shouted by them during the State of the Union, make any eye contact with any of them in passing, and automatically veto anything they try to sponsor. It's time to really drill this issue to the forefront of the news cycle how truly incompetent and unworthy of anyone's respect these people are.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 03:23:41 PM »

I had heard he was "unbeatable", but I hadn't heard him speak.  I listen to NPR (nearly) everyday, watch a little news on the PBS, I knew of the guy.  Him speaking on Hannity certainly wasn't an everyday headline for two weeks.

It kind of was. It was shown again and again on MSNBC and CNN, in news articles online, it's dominated the conversation, etc. This just proves only listening to NPR and bits of PBS can make you really out of touch.

We might add how incredibly stupid this is as NPR and PBS are by far superior news outlets than any cable news.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »

But out of touch.

As today proves.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »

I'm shocked. Crazy days ahead.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2015, 04:22:48 PM »

The Democrats need to play hardball here and outright refuse to work with the Republican Party as they are unfit to govern. All Democratic Presidential candidates should be required to sign a pledge saying they will not invite any Republican Congressional leaders to the White House for the next 4 years, acknowledge any questions shouted by them during the State of the Union, make any eye contact with any of them in passing, and automatically veto anything they try to sponsor. It's time to really drill this issue to the forefront of the news cycle how truly incompetent and unworthy of anyone's respect these people are.

Then quit calling yourself a republican.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 04:43:17 PM »

King's never been a national Republican. He's explained this several times.
Col. Roosevelt
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 04:43:20 PM »

I'm a total noob on Congressional politics; why is this considered "insane" and "chaos"? What is the best that can come of all this, and the worst (for American liberals)?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2015, 04:54:54 PM »

The Benghazi gaffe putting him on the chopping block but I think the buzz about how he can't speak properly is what brought down the blade, especially after Colbert last night...
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/256323-colbert-mccarthy-speaks-english-like-words

McCarthy was becoming a joke before he even had the job.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »

He doesn't even qualify to be a NM republican with that language. I don't hear Martinez saying that.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 05:18:16 PM »

He doesn't even qualify to be a NM republican with that language. I don't hear Martinez saying that.

I don't remember anyone appointing you a judge to decide whether a poster "deserves" to be a member of one party or another.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 05:25:58 PM »

Maybe if there is a God, Ryan will accept the Speakership, even though it will deflect from his more important work. I say that, because he has the gravitas and respect, that he will have more room to discipline the nutters, than anyone else in the House.  You can't shut down the government because you refuse to raise the debt limit, etc. And he is in a position, that he need not give the Freedom Caucus their pound of flesh. He does not need to promise anything to them, or anyone else.

Another alternative, is to let the chaos continue, until the moderate Pubs can cut a deal with blue dog Dems to get someone in, who will govern sensibly. It's intolerable that any small faction can hold the whole House hostage.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »

I don't remember anyone appointing you a judge to decide whether a poster "deserves" to be a member of one party or another.

Name one other republican who would agree with King's statement. Or hey, take this the other way around. Find a Democrat who would say that all of the democratic platform is terrible. Hint: You won't find any, aside from random guys in OK who haven't voted Democrat in years but are too lazy to change their registration.

If King somehow got elected to congress as a republican (put the low likelihood of him winning a primary in NM-2 aside, just assume it somehow happened), he would not be put on any committees, he would be ridiculed at every opportunity, and he would probably be expelled from the republican caucus in a matter of months.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 05:44:02 PM »

Name one other republican who would agree with King's statement. Or hey, take this the other way around. Find a Democrat who would say that all of the democratic platform is terrible. Hint: You won't find any, aside from random guys in OK who haven't voted Democrat in years but are too lazy to change their registration.

If King somehow got elected to congress as a republican (put the low likelihood of him winning a primary in NM-2 aside, just assume it somehow happened), he would not be put on any committees, he would be ridiculed at every opportunity, and he would probably be expelled from the republican caucus in a matter of months.

I completely agree with King's statement even though I am good deal to his right... and it's not that we're too lazy to change our registration. I just re-registered a week ago, reaffirming my commitment to the party.

And LOL at the point about Democrats in OK not being too lazy to change registration. Are you serious? Half the south is still just DINO's! Especially Oklahoma!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »

I'm not talking about the Republican Party platform, Wulfric. Or even conservatism.

The Republican Congress needs to be taken out back and shot.

They are just fundamentally not serious about governing.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2015, 05:52:24 PM »

I completely agree with King's statement even though I am good deal to his right... and it's not that we're too lazy to change our registration. I just re-registered a week ago, reaffirming my commitment to the party.

And LOL at the point about Democrats in OK not being too lazy to change registration. Are you serious? Half the south is still just DINO's! Especially Oklahoma!

I didn't specify how many of these random guys in OK who won't change their registration there are. But FTR, more of them are changing it, there are finally more registered Republicans than Democrats in OK.

But Smilo, you could still be considered a republican in the sense that you've endorsed one for President. Meanwhile King has enthusiastically endorsed Hillary Clinton.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »

>claims to be a moderate hero that hates partisanship
>tells a moderate Republican to eject himself from the party because he does not meet his strict litmus test for what a Republican is, further polarizing the party

Classic Wulfric!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2015, 06:33:24 PM »

I'm not talking about the Republican Party platform, Wulfric. Or even conservatism.

You're right.  The Republican Congress doesn't fight Obama hard enough and actually force him to veto bills, putting him and the Democratic party on the record on the wrong side of public opinion.  Instead, they've been preemptively surrendering on things like the Iran treaty, where the mushy establishment created a rule that only 1/3rd of the Congress is needed to ratify a treaty instead of the constitutionally required 2/3rds.  This has justifiably enraged the Republican base, and is coming back to haunt the establishment wing of the Republican party.  While it's not clear whether the infidelity allegations or his gaffes are truly what did McCarthy in, the establishment wing of the party is reaping what it sows.  

Why is compromise always a one-way street, where conservatives must always yield to so-called moderates?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2015, 06:37:01 PM »

You're right.  The Republican Congress doesn't fight Obama hard enough and actually force him to veto bills, putting him and the Democratic party on the record on the wrong side of public opinion.  Instead, they've been preemptively surrendering on things like the Iran treaty, where the mushy establishment created a rule that only 1/3rd of the Congress is needed to ratify a treaty instead of the constitutionally required 2/3rds.  This has justifiably enraged the Republican base, and is coming back to haunt the establishment wing of the Republican party.  While it's not clear whether the infidelity allegations or his gaffes are truly what did McCarthy in, the establishment wing of the party is reaping what it sows.  

Why is compromise always a one-way street, where conservatives must always yield to so-called moderates?

I will honestly agree. The Republicans have control of both chambers and Obama's veto pen is gathering dust. If they can't get bills to a Democratic President's desk for veto, why should I believe they'll get bills to a Republican President's desk for signage?

They are not serious about governing.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »

Obama's fault.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2015, 10:59:47 PM »

I will honestly agree. The Republicans have control of both chambers and Obama's veto pen is gathering dust. If they can't get bills to a Democratic President's desk for veto, why should I believe they'll get bills to a Republican President's desk for signage?

They are not serious about governing.

They're in perpetual campaign mode. What do you think the investigations into BENGHAZI are about?  They care more about lessening the risk of primary challenges than they do about governance.
whiplash
Rookie
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 05:14:37 PM »

Kevin McCarthy is just a joke. He can't do anything about the Black Lion.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 05:34:56 PM »

It's intolerable that any small faction can hold the whole House hostage.

No, it's totally deserved. Establishment ought to have raised years ago and primary every single mmber of the Liberty Caucus.

It's a self-inflicted wound.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies