Hillary Clinton’s Problem With Men
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:51:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton’s Problem With Men  (Read 3158 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »

National Journal/Josh Kraushaar

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This article turns conventional wisdom on it's head.  The media and the Democrats always tout Republicans' supposed issues with women voters - the so-called Republican war on women.  But gender gaps work both ways.  if Hillary Clinton is so negatively viewed by men that she's viewed negatively by them at levels usually seen by Hispanics against Republicans, is it time to talk about Hillary Clinton's "war on men"?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 02:29:18 PM »

Yes. Men hate her (myself included).
ObamaThirdTerm
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »

What has Hillary done negatively for men? If anything this is just proof of the war on women, they don't like Hillary because she is a woman. Period.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 03:18:34 PM »

What has Hillary done negatively for men? If anything this is just proof of the war on women, they don't like Hillary because she is a woman. Period.

To turn that on its head, maybe women (or at least Dem women) tend to overlook Hillary's flaws because she is a woman. Anyway, beyond issues of honesty and the such, many men find Hillary has a bit of a castrating type of demeanor.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »

If Hillary was a man I would be just as concerned about a possible Clinton Presidency.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:24:07 PM »

Onward, meninists, time to do battle in Hillary's war on men and fight for all the disenfranchised men of America!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:39:55 PM »

What war on men has she conducted? It's not as if she's out speaking negatively about men or anything.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 03:49:02 PM »

What war on men has she conducted? It's not as if she's out speaking negatively about men or anything.

Nor are most Republicans speaking negatively about women, yet Democrats and the media have claimed there is a Republican war on women merely because they take political positions that some women don't like.  As the article notes, Hillary is has taken political positions anathema to many men on things like gun control and immigration.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 03:51:51 PM »

Nor are most Republicans speaking negatively about women, yet Democrats and the media have claimed there is a Republican war on women merely because they take political positions that some women don't like.  As the article notes, Hillary is has taken political positions anathema to many men on things like gun control and immigration.

Well, the whole legitimate rape/rape babies are gift from God thing was not exactly favorable to women. That is what started the whole war on women narrative. It wasn't anything Democrats made up.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 04:07:39 PM by Torie »

Nor are most Republicans speaking negatively about women, yet Democrats and the media have claimed there is a Republican war on women merely because they take political positions that some women don't like.  As the article notes, Hillary is has taken political positions anathema to many men on things like gun control and immigration.

I understand about guns (I favor gun control, but then I'm gay), but do you think women are more pro illegal immigration than men (to frame the issue a bit crudely, but whatever)? That is an interesting thing to ponder. It might be true. Any data on that one?  That is my theme for the month - give me the data! Smiley
RedPrometheus

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:59:37 PM »

We shouldn't underestimate sexism in our society. But it's sad that so many men can't accept the thought of a female president.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »

Have we considered #killingallmen?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »

We shouldn't underestimate sexism in our society. But it's sad that so many men can't accept the thought of a female president.
Does Carly Fiorina have these polling problems with men? Does Kirsten Gillibrand? How about Amy Klobuchar? Perhaps Claire McCaskill? Or maybe, just maybe, it has to do with the fact that Hillary Clinton is incompetent at best, corrupt at worst, and downright vile? Ever give that a thought?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »

I understand about guns (I favor gun control, but then I'm gay), but do you think women are more pro illegal immigration than men (to frame the issue a bit crudely, but whatever)? That is an interesting thing to ponder. It might be true. Any data on that one?  That is my theme for the month - give me the data! Smiley

I went by what the National Journal article said (they also mentioned abortion).  After a quick search, a WSJ/NBC News Poll from 2014, though, suggests the gender gap on immigration works the other way - with men more likely to see immigration as helping rather than hurting.  I don't know why, and the article explaining the poll doesn't either, calling it puzzling.  There is a huge income disparity on that question, which makes sense.  I don't know if there are other polls showing different things.

But that's not my point.  When creating a false "war on..." narrative, you only need to stress one or two issues that the group in question supposedly supports that the other party opposes (or vice versa).  And there are plenty of issues that men see differently than women where Hillary Clinton (and most Democrats) take the side more supported by women than men.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »

To turn that on its head, maybe women (or at least Dem women) tend to overlook Hillary's flaws because she is a woman. Anyway, beyond issues of honesty and the such, many men find Hillary has a bit of a castrating type of demeanor.

Okay, when Hillary has trouble with gay Cuomo New Yorkers, are we really going to call sexism?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »

Well, the whole legitimate rape/rape babies are gift from God thing was not exactly favorable to women. That is what started the whole war on women narrative. It wasn't anything Democrats made up.

That's true, but those aren't median Republican views and it's disingenuous to portray them that way.  Akin and Mourdock both trailed Romney by 10%+.

Well, that's how politics works. Besides, after that there was a wave of Republicans taken an extreme position of no exception for rape or incest on abortion, which compounded the problem.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »

I wouldn't vote for a candidate who panders to men any sooner than a candidate who panders to whites.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 07:10:43 PM »

I wouldn't vote for a candidate who panders to men any sooner than a candidate who panders to whites.

I guess Hillary "Spontaneous Dixie Accent" Clinton isn't an option for you in that case.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 07:10:56 PM »

rofl
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 10:07:15 PM »

This was a popular gift back in '08 cycle. Maybe it will make a comeback if the poll is right.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »

I think Nichlemn had the right idea on this a few years ago:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=127947.10

The gender gap, the differential in support for the two parties between men and women, doesn’t benefit one party or the other:

The fact of the matter is: all over-performances among some group or groups must be matched by under-performances among some other group or groups. Sort of like Newton's Third Law.

The idea that the gender gap benefits Democrats is, IMHO, actually a result of unconscious sexism: People see men as the “default” group, and so the male vote is thought of as similar to the overall vote, while the female vote is thought of as a separate category.

As it relates to Hillary Clinton specifically...there is no "correct" demographic profile for a winning candidate's supporters.  Clinton could win by winning more men then she's currently getting, or she could win by driving up her margin among women even more.

That's not to say that she should even be targeting men and women in different ways.  She could just as easily target groups of voters based on what issues they care about, without any regard to whether they happen to be men or women.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »

This was a popular gift back in '08 cycle. Maybe it will make a comeback if the poll is right.

Found my Hillary Clinton nutcracker cleaning out old room at Dad's house! I got as a gift during her first failed attempt at the Presidency.

Anyways, it's a matter of emotion vs. logic. Women seem to like the whole "guns are bad" and "have compassion" arguments of liberals. Men tend to be more analytical. "We need guns" and "if you break the law, f*** you, I have no compassion for ya!" Think of it as the Democrats being the Mommy Party and the Republicans being the Daddy Party.

Mommy knows you make mistakes, she'll enable it sometimes out of love and compassion. Dad don't take no crap, wants you to fix your own situation so that you'll be stronger on your own. Same thing here. Democrats will wipe your nose, Republicans will hand you tissues.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »

Anyways, it's a matter of emotion vs. logic. Women seem to like the whole "guns are bad" and "have compassion" arguments of liberals. Men tend to be more analytical. "We need guns" and "if you break the law, f*** you, I have no compassion for ya!" Think of it as the Democrats being the Mommy Party and the Republicans being the Daddy Party.

Mommy knows you make mistakes, she'll enable it sometimes out of love and compassion. Dad don't take no crap, wants you to fix your own situation so that you'll be stronger on your own. Same thing here. Democrats will wipe your nose, Republicans will hand you tissues.

Too be fair, a lot more women are carrying guns now. Maternal instinct to shoot predators.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 02:13:27 PM by PR »

Also, women have not gotten significantly more Democratic over the past few decades - but men (specifically white men) have gotten substantially more Republican.

EDIT: I see Naso's posts are of the same quality as they've always been.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 09:13:16 AM »

As it turns out, Hillary's problem is mostly with the men over at the FBI. (Sorry, couldn't resist...).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies