Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:20:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in
Abortion

Immigration

Recreational Cannabis

SSM

Assisted Suicide

Death Penalty

None of the above

Other(please Specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in  (Read 5684 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »

Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in regards to  public opinions and or public policy in(laws).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:38:06 PM »

Recreation Cannabis,
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 05:21:24 PM »

Immigration is the most likely, IMO.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »

I guess immigration, although I doubt it. Abortion doesn't seem to be moving in either direction very quickly.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »

Is immigration really a "social" issue? Not sure if I'd define it along the same axis as SSM, abortion etc, but maybe that's because I'm European.

Anyway, in the US:
Abortion - no real change
Immigration - becomes more salient among conservatives, but without big shifts in opinions, it seems
Cannabis - liberal shift
SSM - liberal shift, since people get to understand that the world doesn't end
Assisted suicide - not sure, maybe a future liberal shift?
Death penalty - doesn't seem really salient anymore, no real change expected

In Europe:
Abortion - no real change, but a conservative shift if any
Immigration - definitely a conservative shift
Cannabis - liberal shift in some countries, no change in some others; becomes more defined along the lines of the "cosmopolitan/nationalist" axis
SSM - becomes more salient in countries where the culture wars are still going on, with a general shift toward more liberal positions but a shift toward more issue salience among conservatives; becomes less salient in countries that already implemented it, with a gradual liberal shift in public opinion toward the 70%-85% level
Assisted suicide - not much change, not a salient issue
Death penalty - not an issue
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »

Hopefully Abortion.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »

Anyway, in the US:
Abortion - no real change
Immigration - becomes more salient among conservatives, but without big shifts in opinions, it seems
Cannabis - liberal shift
SSM - liberal shift, since people get to understand that the world doesn't end
Assisted suicide - not sure, maybe a future liberal shift?
Death penalty - doesn't seem really salient anymore, no real change expected
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 09:30:52 PM »

Immigration and death penalty seem most likely, because they can be argued to be not so much social issues as public safety/welfare issues, depending.

Social/individual rights issues don't tend to swing backwards. Other issues do.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 11:23:20 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 06:48:24 AM »

weed or ssm
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »

Immigration. The rest are very good ground on which to rally social, religious, rural conservatives, and various far right fascist types, which really make up the base of the GOP at this point. They may shrug on SSM and say, "Liberal judges!" or some nonsense, though.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »

Same sex marriage it's really terrible issue in the long or even short term. In a few years they will see that USA have not become a new Sodommah, at least not over SSM, and by then being in opposition to SSM will look like being in opposition to interracial marriage. I don't see a major shift in immigration, there will always be votes in being in opposition to immigration, and the childrens of todays immigrants don't want to share with the next wave from a new country.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 06:02:16 AM »

Is immigration really a "social" issue? Not sure if I'd define it along the same axis as SSM, abortion etc, but maybe that's because I'm European.

Absolutely right. I find it curious that people tend to look at immigration as a "social" issue, even in this post-9/11 era. Is it so hard to accept that immigration is a security problem? I hope people come to that realization before somebody decides to give a demonstration of the fact...
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »

Why do you guys see conservatives shifting on abortion, as opposed to say SSM? On SSM, many younger republicans support it, whereas with abortion there is much less of a generational gap.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 01:54:39 PM »

Why do you guys see conservatives shifting on abortion, as opposed to say SSM? On SSM, many younger republicans support it, whereas with abortion there is much less of a generational gap.

The problem is the way this question is worded. I can't tell if it means "society is going to be more conservative on these issues" vs. "Conservatives are going to change their mind on these issues".

For the former, abortion and immigration.

For the later, SSM and maybe weed.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 06:50:29 AM »

Immigration opinions will definitely shift rightward. Abortion may too, but not to the point that the mainstream wants to outright make it illegal.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »

The problem is the way this question is worded. I can't tell if it means "society is going to be more conservative on these issues" vs. "Conservatives are going to change their mind on these issues".

I thought the question was about conservatives changing their minds, so I voted for weed.  It seems as if that's not how most people took the question.  I think abortion and immigration are the most likely.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 10:14:52 PM »

I thought the question was about conservatives changing their minds, so I voted for weed.  It seems as if that's not how most people took the question.  I think abortion and immigration are the most likely.

The op said a conservative shift in public opinion. I don't think he meant a shift in the way conservatives think, but rather a shift towards conservatism for the whole of society.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 01:31:57 AM »

I too assumed he meant conservatives changing their opinion, not public opinion moving conservative.  It would be nice if the OP came back and clarified his/her question.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 02:03:49 AM »

Abortion.  More and more young people will come to appreciate innocent lives the way they do criminal ones.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »

Sorry I meant which issue do think if any will society most likely shift to a Conservative view point
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2015, 04:24:13 PM by tedbessell »

Sorry I meant which issue do think if any will society most likely shift to a Conservative view point

Speaking in terms of American politics here.
If you mean the general public moving right I doubt that any of those are happening anytime soon. The whole country just seems to be generally moving the other way right now, and I don't see a change in course happening in the near future.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 06:09:40 AM »

Then change my answer from weed/ssm (my vote went to weed) to None of the above.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 04:50:21 PM »

I misinterpreted the question and voted for SSM. I change my vote to immigration.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 08:26:54 PM »

Despite what JCL likes to imagine, SSM is over as an issue.  Polls show that Millenials who identify as CONSERVATIVE Republicans support its legalization by a healthy margin.  It's literally (even if you don't think the issues are analogous civil rights-wise) going to die the same death the interracial marriage debate did - whenever its opponents die off, it'll be settled and looked back on as barbaric that anyone ever opposed it.

I could see abortion having a conservative shift if more science emerges showing fetuses feeling pain and stuff like that ... at least a backlash against abortion on demand at any stage (which is already unpopular).  We'll probably see a conservative shift among Whites on immigration, but if they are also declining as a portion of the population, the net effect will probably be zero (I'd imagine new immigrants aren't exactly hardliners on the issue).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies