Ben Carson doesn't appear to know what the Debt Limit is
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:51:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ben Carson doesn't appear to know what the Debt Limit is
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ben Carson doesn't appear to know what the Debt Limit is  (Read 1333 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:40:53 PM »

In an interview with Kai Ryssdal of NPR, Ben Carson struggled all the way through when talking about his plans for the budget and taxes but this bit about the federal debt limit stands out...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is getting a lot of coverage in the MSM with headlines like Politico's "Ben Carson stumbles on debt limit question" and NYMag's "Ben Carson Has Absolutely No Idea What the Debt Limit Is" WaPo "Ben Carson's very awkward interview on the economy" and Fortune's "Ben Carson's Gaffes on the Debt ceiling, Budget, and Interest Rates" but it probably wont matter to his supporters who also probably dont know what the debt limit is. Just watch the new Bloomberg focus group and you see them talking about how smart he is.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:41:52 PM »

This is why someone who has never held elected office shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the White House.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »

This is why someone who has never held elected office shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the White House.
Sad thing is, there's plenty of people who never held elected office who DO know.

It's only the ones that don't who seem to run for President on the GOP side.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 05:00:21 PM by Horsemask »

Generally id agree, though Eisenhower is my favorite president. Big difference between him and Carson though...Eisenhower was a natural leader of men. I don't get that vibe from Carson at all.

As for the topic, poor Ben Carson. If only Jesus talked about the debt ceiling.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »

Generally id agree, though Eisenhower is my favorite president. Big difference between him and Carson though...Eisenhower was a natural leader of men. I don't get that vibe from Carson at all.

As for the topic, poor Ben Carson. If only Jesus talked about the debt ceiling.
Give to Caesar what is Caesar's!
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »

High level generals (like Grant and Eisenhower) may not have elected office experience, but they aren't outside of government. They have to deal with Federal budgets, the Executive Admin and also Congress. They know how the system works.

When you listen to that entire Carson NPR interview it is clear he doesn't understand how the government or even the economy in general works. And it wasn't a 'gotcha' interview it was with NPR's 'Marketplace' show, so of course it would be about economic and budget issues.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 05:13:15 PM »

Besides Ike, another popular example of a president who never held elective office is Herbert Hoover...who had been Secretary of Commerce.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:14:33 PM »

He's taking the opposite of the loud=smart speaking approach. Soooooo slow.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 05:34:32 PM by eric82oslo »

Acually I fully agree with everything Carson said and he didn't make any gaffes at all. Of course he didn't answer the direct question, though he sort of implied that he would accept the debt limit to be raised the first year as president when and if he didn't have control over the budget (I'm not sure whether presidents do during their first year or not?), yet that he'd make sure that all consecutive budgets during his presidency would be balanced in order not having to raise the debt ceiling any more times. The reason he opted not to answer the question is of course not that he's stupid (unlike let's say Herman Cain), but rather that you can be pretty damn sure that it would be used against him by many of his tea party supporters. Why take that risk and lose voter support when you don't have to? This surely isn't a gaffe like Bush's "stuff happens" gaffe if anyone ever wondered. Carson is trying to win the GOP nomination for freak's sake. Give the guy a break, and come back to me when he makes an actual gaffe (and he made a plentiful many gaffes before stepping in to the presidential ring) as well as a couple during the debates so far.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 06:07:48 PM »

LOL, most of the people on this forum know the issues better than him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »

If there is a black or female Republican running for President, the left will smear them. It's #NotAGaffe.

It's called a Dodge. Politicians do it all the time, and this shows Carson's political skills.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »

If there is a black or female Republican running for President, the left will smear them. It's #NotAGaffe.

It's called a Dodge. Politicians do it all the time, and this shows Carson's political skills.

Finally someone said it. Thank you Kingpoleon.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:30:31 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 10:32:08 PM by Ljube »

I would give the same answer, if I were running for President.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »

Carson has a rather steep learning curve. Who knew?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 11:45:29 AM »

I'm inclined to also categorize this as more a dodge than a gaffe.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:29 PM »

Sadly a lot of people will see these answers as "common sense."
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 01:06:46 PM »

Is it really that damaging for a Republican to say "Yes we should raise the debt ceiling, defaulting on our debts is ing insane and to even suggest that it's on the table is dangerous to our status as a major creditor."
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 01:19:51 PM »

Anyone who says that the United State Congress should not raise the debt ceiling is a danger to themselves and others, regardless of political party.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 04:17:52 PM »

Anyone who says that the United State Congress should not raise the debt ceiling is a danger to themselves and others, regardless of political party.

I extremely seldom, almost never in fact, agree with the Republican Party's main "common core" positions, yet if there are two positions I really wholeheartedly agree with them on, it's that the US debt should be lowered, and that quickly (it wouldn't only be a plus positive for the US obviously, yet as well a plus positive for the world economy as a whole [and it should be realized by cutting the defense budget at least in half]), as well as Christie's position (I think he's the only one of the 22-23 still remaining main contenders currently running for the office with this proposal) to gradually increase the retirement age of the US. Every single responsible country in the world should gradually increase their retirement age, yet I only know of the UK who's currently committed itself to actually doing so. Other than these two issues, both fiscal (surprise surprise, I love mathematics and statistics, maybe that's why, and I'm a capricorn, so I know well how to handle money responsibly lol), I disagree with the GOP dogmatics on almost every single possible issue out there.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 04:20:35 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2015, 04:23:03 PM by eric82oslo »

I extremely seldom, almost never in fact, agree with the Republican Party's main "common core" positions, yet if there are two positions I really wholeheartedly agree with them on, it's that the US debt should be lowered, and that quickly (it wouldn't only be a plus positive for the US obviously, yet as well a plus positive for the world economy as a whole [and it should be realized by cutting the defense budget at least in half]), as well as Christie's position (I think he's the only one of the 22-23 still remaining main contenders currently running for the office with this proposal) to gradually increase the retirement age of the US. Every single responsible country in the world should gradually increase their retirement age, yet I only know of the UK who's currently committed itself to actually doing so. Other than these two issues, both fiscal (surprise surprise, I love mathematics and statistics, maybe that's why, and I'm a capricorn, so I know well how to handle money responsibly lol), I disagree with the GOP dogmatics on almost every single possible issue out there.
Well, you seem to have some love for Jeb Bush, regardless.

I do, maybe because he speaks Spanish almost as great as me and has a Mexican wife. Wink

I also love Bill Gates' Common Core reform, (Warren Buffet's tax reform) and the initial immigration reform stances of Bush, Rubio as well as Lindsey Graham who is the only one who's still not a coward to admit that he wants a full-throated immigration reform that would include everyone with no exceptions.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »

There are plenty of Republicans in Congress who don't understand this distinction either.  (Or at the very least, cynically rely on the inability of their voter base to understand this distinction.)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:35 PM »

He's certainly the King of Dodge.

Carson's doing something right to be 2nd in the polls. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies