Carson blames gun control for the Holocaust
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:57:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Carson blames gun control for the Holocaust
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Carson blames gun control for the Holocaust  (Read 2082 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:42:42 AM »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/10/08/ben_carson_tells_cnn_holocaust_could_have_been_different_if_jews_had_guns.html
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 08:23:23 AM »

Gun control is one of the results of oppressive dictatorships, not the cause of them.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »

it's such bollocks, people seem to think that the Holocause just happened when the SS showed up at your door. Armed resistance isn't going to stop a 15 year long campaign to systemically destroy a race
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:36:05 AM »

Schmuck
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:43:46 AM »

Gravity, No Muslims, and now the Holocaust. He's just tackling the real issues. Carson16
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 12:20:36 PM »

Are the Republicans trying to outdo each other in who can say the craziest sh**t?

The scary thing is this won't touch him in the polls.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »

The Democratic Hive mind is crazy. Carson is common sense.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 08:47:21 AM »

Yet another example of folks wanting to twist what Dr. Carson says. The reason it has no effect on his numbers is that most of those same people know how to go about seeing what the candidate actually said, and distrust the media to report those statements correctly. Part of Dr. Carson's appeal is that he'll tell you what he thinks, regardless of how it will be spun by the politicos...
bobloblaw
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »

What a dishonest headline. He didnt blame gun control for the Holocaust but said the Nazis would have had a harder time. And they did once Jews got armed. The Warsaw Uprising lasted 6 weeks, longer than France and Poland lasted. So yes, Carson is correct.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »

Carson is absolutely right. If we would have been able to defend ourselves with firearms, many lives would have been saved.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 04:30:06 PM »

Carson is absolutely right. If we would have been able to defend ourselves with firearms, many lives would have been saved.

How would that have worked exactly? The Jews would have fought their way out of zones of Nazi control? My impression, is that Hitler made Jew killing his top priority. Sure, armed Jews would have killed more Nazis. But that does not mean that they would have survived. Interestingly, about 85% of German Jews did get out before it was too late (I think that is more or less the right percentage). But then they had the "advantage" of living under Hitler while it was still possible to get out.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »

The Democratic Hive mind is crazy. Carson is common sense.

What's wrong with you people?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 05:15:31 PM »

How would that have worked exactly? The Jews would have fought their way out of zones of Nazi control? My impression, is that Hitler made Jew killing his top priority. Sure, armed Jews would have killed more Nazis. But that does not mean that they would have survived. Interestingly, about 85% of German Jews did get out before it was too late (I think that is more or less the right percentage). But then they had the "advantage" of living under Hitler while it was still possible to get out.
I know, I'm not talking about German Jewry in particular, it's more of a general point. In Eastern Europe (especially in the area now known as Ukraine), many Jews have simply been killed by "Einsatzgruppen" death squads and by anti-Semitic natives. If Jews would have been armed, trained and organized instead, it would have been possible to save quite some lives, and it would have helped people to flee nazi-occupied areas. What's more, if people would have been armed in rural areas in Western Europe, it would have been much harder for the Germans to make sure no Jews were hiding in houses, for there are many more dangers for an occupier when ordinary people are armed, which could have made it possible for more people to take in Jews into their homes.

So I'm obviously not saying the Shoa wouldn't have happened if we would've been armed - it would have happened anyway -, but every life makes a difference and I believe many lives could have been saved.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »

There's a difference between gun control and gun confiscation/ban
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 06:06:06 PM »

Intensely stupid. Jews had also lost their access to the media and economic viability. Jews could be punished even for reflexive acts of self-defense. They even lost their right to keep dogs,  very good defenses against assaults and robberies and good warning against intruders.

It's the totalitarian state that stripped Jews of their rights and eventually killed them. The best hope that Jews had was that Hitler would come to his senses about them. He never did.   
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 06:17:55 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_legislation_in_Germany

Nazi Germany 'liberalized' the right to bear arms in 1938.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nazi Germany was surely awash in privately-held firearms... after 1938, Jews obviously excepted.

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 06:29:33 PM »

Carson has taken a lot of flack this week from the MSM for all the crazy things he has said, so much so that he is now attacking the media as being unfair and Breitbart is defending him saying the media is trying to "lynch" him (no codewords there).

But I think in the end he isn't going to lose any support, and maybe he will even gain some. I have given up on trying to figure out Carson supporters. After watching those focus groups of people talking about how smart and amazing he is and how he is going to get Washington working again I realized there is really no way to understand the hardcore GOP base, especially the evangelicals.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »

Sure. The right to bear arms to defend against government tyranny, which is a real and present danger in America, is a powerful meme in some quarters of the Pub base. They really, really, believe that, and passionately so. The JBT's, are just around the corner. To argue with them is a fool's errand. It's totally futile. I know from personal experience, when I was so foolish as to engage in the exercise. All it generated was rather intense anger. I know better now.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »

There's a difference between Nazi Germany and 2015 America.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 07:19:44 PM »

BUT OBAMA IS WORSE THAN HITLER!!!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »

Nazi Germany didn't really have gun control, as long as they weren't trying to exterminate you.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 07:26:12 PM »

Is there? Carson doesn't think so. He compared the 2014 America to Nazi Germany.

I tend to agree. The aspect in which 2014/2015 America and Nazi Germany are similar is the freedom of speech, or lack thereof. You couldn't speak your mind in Nazi Germany and you can't speak your mind in 2015 America.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 09:30:40 PM by realisticidealist »

lol at gun nuts thinking their AR-15 will protect them against tanks and Apaches. Also, anyone who thinks Carson's right should watch the ghetto liquidation scene from Schindler's List.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 12:39:41 AM »

Whether guns could have dissuaded the Holocaust or not is a purely academic question. It's not what's outrageous about Carson's statement in my opinion.

What's outrageous is the implication that if not for guns, the American government would launch a Holocaust, and that's why we can't have gun control. It's ridiculous, inaccurate, and frankly shows he has a low opinion of America.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »

This whole site is poison
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies