Are Canadian conservatives more cohesive than conservatives in the US and UK?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:00:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Are Canadian conservatives more cohesive than conservatives in the US and UK?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are Canadian conservatives more cohesive than conservatives in the US and UK?  (Read 316 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2015, 12:11:34 AM »

Looking at this coming election, I've been curious why Canada hasn't had to deal with a Tea Party or UKIP-style threat to the Conservatives from the right. I know that the Conservative Party is itself a combination of the moderate Progressive Conservatives and the more right-wing Canadian Alliance, and I find it curious that there hasn't been as much infighting within the Conservative Party as there have been among the American and British right. Am I just missing things from living south of the border, and things are much less rosy than they seem, or are Canadian conservatives just better at appearing to be a united front?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 12:27:38 AM »

Looking at this coming election, I've been curious why Canada hasn't had to deal with a Tea Party or UKIP-style threat to the Conservatives from the right. I know that the Conservative Party is itself a combination of the moderate Progressive Conservatives and the more right-wing Canadian Alliance, and I find it curious that there hasn't been as much infighting within the Conservative Party as there have been among the American and British right. Am I just missing things from living south of the border, and things are much less rosy than they seem, or are Canadian conservatives just better at appearing to be a united front?

Because the "Tea Party"/"UKIP" already won. Yes, the Conservative Party is officially a merger of the Canadian Alliance and the PCs, but the Federal PCs were barely relevant, except that they split the right-wing vote. For all practical purposes, it was less a merger and more just one party tapping out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies