Double explosion in Ankara left-wing rally: 86 killed, 186+ injured
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:07:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Double explosion in Ankara left-wing rally: 86 killed, 186+ injured
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Double explosion in Ankara left-wing rally: 86 killed, 186+ injured  (Read 1400 times)
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2015, 05:14:54 AM »
« edited: October 10, 2015, 10:53:46 AM by Watermelon sin Jamón »

A double explosion in front of Ankara railway station, at the beginning of a left-wing rally for peace between Turkish armed forces and Kurd forces, called by the HDP and a number of other parties and unions, has left at least 30 killed (political sources I have say at least 50, to be confirmed). It seems to be the largest political attack in the history of the country. Very very sad. I guess Erdogan is slowly turning Turkey into Saudi Arabia...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34495161
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 05:47:34 AM »

What kind of asshat blows up a rally for peace?  le sigh
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:13:15 AM »

It's interesting who Erdogan will blame, my money is on the Kurds.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:27:49 AM »

It's interesting who Erdogan will blame, my money is on the Kurds.
Well, they were the ones protesting, so to speak, so not sure how that would play out...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 08:42:25 AM »

Turkey has some far-right terrorists, like the Grey Wolves. My money would be on them.

Why don't right-wing rallies ever get attacked? Even by leftist groups. The only examples I can think of are a few instances of Golden Dawn members being killed by drivebys from Greek leftist terrorists and those were pretty small scale in regards to things like this. Hell it's kind of amazing that in the past 70 years no one's ever tried to bomb a neo-Nazi rally when you think about it.

Reminds me of someone who said it's kind of frustrating the KGB didn't even focus on taking out people like Pinochet as much as the CIA was.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »

The blinders you wear are amazing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »

Ugh...
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »

My money's on ISIS,

Also wouldn't rule out Erdogan himself ether. Since he shares a lot of Putin like traits.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 08:13:29 PM »

Since when did the Grey Wolves embrace suicide bombings, BRTD? This is obviously the Kurds.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 08:18:01 PM »

Probably ISIL. It makes perfect sense for them to want to target the peace demonstrators to disrupt any chance of peace between the Turks and Kurds and thus further destabilize Turkey.

People thinking it was the government or the Kurds behind this is playing right into their hands. That's literally the intended goal.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 09:27:10 PM »

https://libcom.org/news/massacre-labor-democracy-peace-meeting-ankara-10102015
This is a statement from Revolutionary Anarchist Action on today’s bombing attack on the pro-Kurdish peace rally in Ankara, Turkey, which has so far killed more than 80 activists:

CAN’T BE FORGOTTEN, CAN’T BE FORGIVEN

Today, on the 10th of October, the “Labor, Democracy and Peace Meeting” that was organized by various unions, associations and organizations has been attacked. Like in Amed on June and in Suruc on July, the bombs exploding in Ankara today has killed tens of people.

Thousands of people came together from many different cities of the geography against the politics of war, against war profiteering of different power groups. Today, the bombs that exploded, murdered the people who wanted peace, life and freedom against war.

This explosion, in which more than 30 people have lost their lives until now, is a reflection of the blood thirsty greed of the powers. The ones who murdered in Amed, in Pirsus, in Cizir, are now trying to intimidate the peoples, frustrate with war politics and discourage from the struggle for freedom, by murdering tens of people in Ankara.

The powers should know that by any means, be it arrests or murder with bombs, we will not be afraid of the powers or submit their war politics.

For a new world, a life of freedom, the murderers in Amed, in Pirsus, Cizir and Ankara, murdered ones
CAN’T BE FORGOTTEN, the murderers CAN’T BE FORGIVEN.

Revolutionary Anarchist Action / Devrimci Anarşist Faaliyet (DAF)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:32:03 PM »

Do you often place bets on who's the author of a terror attack? Tongue
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »

I would be shocked if it wasn't Erdogan himself pulling the strings, to be honest. Ever since he lost his bid to amend the Turkish constitution to become a dictator, he's been looking for an opening. This would be that opening.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 11:05:18 PM »

I would be shocked if it wasn't Erdogan himself pulling the strings, to be honest. Ever since he lost his bid to amend the Turkish constitution to become a dictator, he's been looking for an opening. This would be that opening.

How does this help his cause though?  Is he trying to intimidate the Kurdish opposition?  If anything I think this helps the opposition parties and makes them more sympathetic.

If he really wanted to help himself he would have had his own party suffer an attack and blame it on the kurds etc.

I mean, haven't you seen Star Wars Episode III?!?!!?!
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 11:30:06 PM »

How does this help his cause though?  Is he trying to intimidate the Kurdish opposition?  If anything I think this helps the opposition parties and makes them more sympathetic.

If he really wanted to help himself he would have had his own party suffer an attack and blame it on the kurds etc.

All depends on who takes the blame when all is said and done.

Also, it never hurts the cause of a dictator to give the public a common enemy to hate.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 11:33:18 PM »

All depends on who takes the blame when all is said and done.

Also, it never hurts the cause of a dictator to give the public a common enemy to hate.

I agree.  Although my feeling is that if Erdogan wanted to ISIS to take the blame his government would have already been all over this trying to shift the attention onto them.  So far I haven't seen that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 01:03:42 AM »

It all makes sense if you assume that Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is Hitler.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 01:09:27 AM »

Erdogan didn't do it. He wouldn't do it. He's not really upset about it though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 01:10:15 AM »

Basically a Bush 9/11 thing. Sure he wouldn't actually do it, but he'll exploit it for all its worth.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »

Basically a Bush 9/11 thing. Sure he wouldn't actually do it, but he'll exploit it for all its worth.

There's a slight difference, if Bush was behind 9/11, and it was discovered he would lose everything. If Erdogan was behind this, the journalists who wrote the story would lose everything.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies