Do you have a more positive opinion of Vladimir Putin or Christopher Columbus?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:46:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you have a more positive opinion of Vladimir Putin or Christopher Columbus?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you have a more positive opinion of Vladimir Putin or Christopher Columbus?
Vladimir Putin

Christopher Columbus

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Do you have a more positive opinion of Vladimir Putin or Christopher Columbus?  (Read 2020 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2015, 09:07:20 PM »

Putin
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 09:10:01 PM »

Putin; easy
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »

Columbus.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:16:55 PM »

D:
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »

Considering that you support Netanyahu, it would only be logical for you to support another genocidal mass murderer.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 09:32:56 PM »

Columbus. FF
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 09:44:31 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 09:47:19 PM by DavidB. »

It's sad to see the PC police waging another war on a part of American identity and American history. I'm not an American, but these tactics are used in the Netherlands as well and it saddens me. One can deem Columbus' obvious flaws problematic while simultaneously considering him an FF for the sheer symbolic value he has for America as a country.

Considering that you support Netanyahu, it would only be logical for you to support another genocidal mass murderer.
lol

I'm quite a bit to the right of Netanyahu, dude. Not sure what you mean with "support" - maybe in the sense that he's at least better than the left, but I wouldn't vote for him.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 09:51:35 PM »

Why is an Italian, funded by the Spanish Crown, who "discovered" and mismanaged Haiti, and who died 250 years before the United States was founded without ever even setting foot on United States territory, "part of American identity" anyway? It's kind of weird when you think about it.

And yes, Putin to his credit is less brainless than Columbus, a man who was, let's face it, completely thick.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »

lol

I'm quite a bit to the right of Netanyahu, dude. Not sure what you mean with "support" (he's better than the left, that's for sure), but I wouldn't vote for him.
I honestly have no idea of how to respond to this in words, I can only say that I'm absolutely horrified with the thought that someone could basically respond to someone who's calling them a fascist with "No I'm not a fascist, I'm to far right for that."
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »

Why is an Italian, funded by the Spanish Crown, who "discovered" and mismanaged Haiti, and who died 250 years before the United States was founded without ever even setting foot on United States territory, "part of American identity" anyway? It's kind of weird when you think about it.
Might very well be, but that's the way traditions are formed. There's often no real rational process behind that. And that's generally ok.

I honestly have no idea of how to respond to this in words, I can only say that I'm absolutely horrified with the thought that someone could basically respond to someone who's calling them a fascist with "No I'm not a fascist, I'm to far right for that."
lol
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 09:57:37 PM »

Tbf Netenyahu is seen as a moderate within Likud and Likud is the "moderate" centre-right option. (Well I guess Yesh Atid/Kulanu are more moderate, but whatevs) haven't you heard of Jewish Home?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:58:28 PM »

lol

I'm quite a bit to the right of Netanyahu, dude. Not sure what you mean with "support" (he's better than the left, that's for sure), but I wouldn't vote for him.

Netanyahu is not and a fascist and he is to the left of George W  Bush.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »

Christoper Columbus (15 century morals are much different then 21st century) so I wont judge him by 21th century standards and another thing is he didnt commit genocide, the people who came after him did.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 10:04:15 PM »

he didnt commit genocide, the people who came after him did.

No, he did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus#Accusations_of_tyranny_during_governorship
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 10:14:52 PM »

The one that's dead.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 10:16:33 PM »

Columbus is really on par with Hitler, Pol Pot, Leopald of Belgium, Cortes, Stalin and Mao IMO.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2015, 01:39:58 PM by Moderate Hero Republican »

Thats not genocide, unless you consider Assad to have commited genocide. Was Colombus a bad person yes but putin is worse. Also The British and the Spanish committed the genocide not him as I believe the europeans were in the racial minority until the 1700s which means the British, French, Spanish who came after Columbus committed genocide
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 10:49:32 PM »

Thats not genocide, unless you consider Stalin to have commited genocide. Was Colombus a bad person yes but putin is worse. Also The British and the Spanish committed the genocide not him as I believe the europeans were in the racial minority until the 1700s which means the British, French, Spanish who came after Columbus committed genocide

Er, he kinda did...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 10:57:56 PM »

Thats not genocide, unless you consider Stalin to have commited genocide. Was Colombus a bad person yes but putin is worse. Also The British and the Spanish committed the genocide not him as I believe the europeans were in the racial minority until the 1700s which means the British, French, Spanish who came after Columbus committed genocide

Er, he kinda did...

Ok my bad but what I mean to say is dictatorships and genocide are different things.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »

Putin is a freaking bad ass at the very least.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 04:42:27 AM »

How is what is described there genocide? Do you know what that word actually means?

I'm no expert on Columbus but I'm not aware of anything that makes him worse than the average man in power of the time. Putin on the other hand is definitely making the world a lot worse right now.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 06:35:18 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2015, 06:37:10 AM by dead0man »

Columbus was a dick, even by his own times*, but it would be a stretch to say what he did was genocide.  He wasn't very nice to the natives of Hispaniola, but the bugs inside him and his men did most of the work (90%).  

It's even dumber to blame him for the deaths of all Native Americans over the next 400 years, but some people will try to.

edit to add the*- (from his wiki) By this time, accusations of tyranny and incompetence on the part of Columbus had also reached the Court. Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand responded by removing Columbus from power and replacing him with Francisco de Bobadilla, a member of the Order of Calatrava.

According to the report, Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery. Testimony recorded in the report claims that Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomé on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.[77]

The document also describes how Columbus put down native unrest and revolt; he first ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed and then paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets in an attempt to discourage further rebellion.[78]

"Columbus's government was characterised by a form of tyranny," Consuelo Varela, a Spanish historian who has seen the document, told journalists.[77] "Even those who loved him [Columbus] had to admit the atrocities that had taken place."[77]

Because of their gross mismanagement of governance, Columbus and his brothers were arrested and imprisoned upon their return to Spain from the third voyage. They lingered in jail for six weeks before busy King Ferdinand ordered their release. Not long after, the king and queen summoned the Columbus brothers to the Alhambra palace in Granada. There the royal couple heard the brothers' pleas; restored their freedom and wealth; and, after much persuasion, agreed to fund Columbus' fourth voyage. But the door was firmly shut on Columbus' role as governor. Henceforth Nicolás de Ovando y Cáceres was to be the new governor of the West Indies.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 07:58:11 AM »

I read that part. Don't get me wrong, it's awful and I guess maybe worse than average. But it's not far out of the mainstream based on what I've read about Western rulers at the time. Especially once you factor in the widespread racism and what that meant for peoples' attitudes to the native populations.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 11:04:14 AM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 11:05:41 AM »

I read that part. Don't get me wrong, it's awful and I guess maybe worse than average. But it's not far out of the mainstream based on what I've read about Western rulers at the time. Especially once you factor in the widespread racism and what that meant for peoples' attitudes to the native populations.

I would say pretty out of the mainstream considering even the Spanish court thought he was a despot.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies