Opinion of BRTD complaining about Colmbus Day every year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:02:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of BRTD complaining about Colmbus Day every year
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: BRTD and Columbus?
Annoying

Very Annoying

Not Annoying

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Opinion of BRTD complaining about Colmbus Day every year  (Read 2878 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »

Option 2.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »

didn't get the results you were hoping for on aad, huh?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 01:18:50 PM »

Better than the sickos who defend it every year.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »

Of all the stupid sh**t he freaks out over, this is problem the least annoying.
A.he's right
II.it only happens once a year
3.there is no third thing
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 01:32:17 PM »

He isn't exactly wrong, but I fail to see why we should celebrate "Native American Day" in its place either. We should celebrate Lief Erikson day.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 03:02:52 PM »

At least he stopped switching his avatar to orange every St. Patrick's Day.  The guy is such a try hard.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »

He isn't exactly wrong, but I fail to see why we should celebrate "Native American Day" in its place either. We should celebrate Lief Erikson day.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »

Option 3, he isn't wrong.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »

I'll admit he's not wrong about most political issues, but he's invariably f[Inks]ing annoying about literally everything.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »

Having read some book from my school's library that hadn't been checked out since, like, '73 (it was printed in the 60's), the voyages of the Norse to Greenland, Iceland, and eventually North America sure were somethin', weren't they? Plus, the fact that it is so shrouded in the past makes much better for some national myth than the idiot Columbus, who, had he been correct, would have starved out on the open sea!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »

Option 2.

BRTD does not bother me. I find him to be spirited, amusing, and I'm often in agreement with him or else I have no idea what he is talking about, like with regard to music.

Making a big deal out of Columbus, however, is a pseudo keyboard warrior issue, and that bandwagon annoys me - because they're never prepared to talk about or acknowledge his accomplishments. It's just "lolololol he's Hitler11111!" Nooooo, he was a 15th century ship captain acting under the orders of a very Catholic 15th century monarch.

Now, I go against the traditional view of Henry VII (and the Tudors, who I think were all really vile), but I realize it's more complex than my personal view of them.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »

Having read some book from my school's library that hadn't been checked out since, like, '73 (it was printed in the 60's), the voyages of the Norse to Greenland, Iceland, and eventually North America sure were somethin', weren't they? Plus, the fact that it is so shrouded in the past makes much better for some national myth than the idiot Columbus, who, had he been correct, would have starved out on the open sea!

It's fascinating to wonder how different history might have turned out without the Little Ice Age blocking access to Greenland and cutting off the Norse colonies there.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 06:40:02 PM »

BRTD has a way of saying things that would drive me absolutely mad coming from most people and have it yet still come across as endearing.

As for the topic, I couldn't possibly care any less about whether or not Columbus Day is offensive or should be celebrated.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 06:40:58 PM »

The very languages we use are the result of bloody conquest. If we play that angle long enough maybe we can get BRTD to undergo a vow of silence.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 11:38:06 PM »

The very languages we use are the result of bloody conquest. If we play that angle long enough maybe we can get BRTD to undergo a vow of silence.

You are a genius, Marokai. Smiley
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 08:53:13 AM »

You are a genius, Marokai. Smiley

It would only result in BRTD writing 10 times as many post, because he would long post about how all we other writing things is a result of bloody conquest, and everytime someone brought up his hypocrisy, he would begin to talk about sh**tty and obscure bands nobody knows.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »

Is BRTD like 1/18th Navajo? They're just people from the old country too that migrated over and slaughtered all the mammoths. We should change it to mammoth remembrance day in honor of the gentle giants the "natives" destroyed!!!!!11!1!!!1! -_-
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »

If anyone should celebrate Columbus Day, it's India.

What a close call that was!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »

Seeing as the whole of human history is written in blood, I'm not sure why we'd waste our day protesting a specific instance of violence from a few hundred years ago. July 4th is far more significant in terms of spreading bloodshed across the globe, if you're against that sort of thing.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 12:15:48 AM »

July 4th is far more significant in terms of spreading bloodshed across the globe, if you're against that sort of thing.

3edgy5me
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 12:19:32 AM »

July 4th is far more significant in terms of spreading bloodshed across the globe, if you're against that sort of thing.

3edgy5me

I mean, none of my business, but the types of leftists who wanna complain about the existence of Columbus Day might as well complain about the existence of most nation states, and the existence of basically everything.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 12:32:31 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2015, 12:38:11 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

3edgy5me

I mean, none of my business, but the types of leftists who wanna complain about the existence of Columbus Day might as well complain about the existence of most nation states, and the existence of basically everything.

such whataboutery

Columbus Day is a state-sanctioned holiday, a holiday that exists because it is promoted by public authorities. As I've pointed out before, this holiday is an affront to the sensibilities of American citizens who were conquered by the American government. Unlike other American figures who have holidays and committed atrocities against the indigenous, Columbus bears no relation to American civic traditions nor is he a symbol of the United States. In the context of this country, he is a symbol of the European conquest of the Americas. This isn't an ambiguous topic: Columbus' role as a colonizer is evident and obvious.

The burden isn't on leftists like me, it's on you. How is this holiday relevant to the United States? Should we subsidize a holiday commemorating John Locke or some other foreign figure who influenced the course of history and therefore influenced the course of American history? This is absurd, no? Holidays exist either to commemorate some value or to accommodate the needs of the citizenry. Columbus Day used to accommodate the needs of the citizenry when Italians were oppressed but it serves no purpose in 2015. It's an anomalous and bizarre holiday, one that shouldn't exist.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 12:35:25 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2015, 12:37:07 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

On another note, of course white people aren't going to be offended by Columbus Day, why would you be? That's hardly relevant to the politics of Columbus Day.

If President Obama said "kill whitey", I wouldn't be offended but that could hardly be used to justify defending Obama yelling "kill whitey" in his role as POTUS...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »

Columbus Day wasn't anomalous within the context of the story that was once told about his role as setting in motion the founding of America, and the Washington Irving myth about the lone brave explorer willing to prove the world was round against the medieval fears of the Old World.  The United States was once commonly referred to as Columbia.    Now this approach to the past is less common and its deficiencies more apparent.  But it wasn't just about the Italians.

On another note, of course white people aren't going to be offended by Columbus Day, why would you be? That's hardly relevant to the politics of Columbus Day.

If President Obama said "kill whitey", I wouldn't be offended but that could hardly be used to justify defending Obama yelling "kill whitey" in his role as POTUS...

lol
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies