Time to admit it...Biden won't run for President.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:43:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Time to admit it...Biden won't run for President.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Time to admit it...Biden won't run for President.  (Read 3139 times)
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »
« edited: October 12, 2015, 12:54:48 PM by ♥♦ 3peat 2016 ♣♠ »

I've always been confident the media was just playing up the possibility of Biden running for President. I never truly thought he would actually pull the trigger and it appears I've now been proven right. Who else (like me) has also has long believed this and does anyone still believe he will/may still actually run? I recall some of you only believed he'd actually run if somehow Clinton imploded, which seems extremely unlikely now. I hope polling organizations exclude Biden moving forward since its absurd to still include an undeclared candidate this late in the game. Thoughts?
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 12:51:38 PM »

I remember a time when he was suppose to announce in early August if he was running or not.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:56:09 PM »

I remember a time when he was suppose to announce in early August if he was running or not.

I remember that. The latest one was by 2 days ago. Wink lol
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »

I remember that. The latest one was by 2 days ago. Wink lol

Crazy. Now they're saying he's gonna wait and see how the debate goes before he throws in the towel. I think deep down he wanted to run, but, as he said on Colbert, he's not emotionally prepared and he's probably trying to come to grips with that.
Angel of Death
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »

Biden could still be the break-glass-in-case-of-Hillary-emergency candidate, but it has to be a real emergency, not just the odd poll slump.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »

It not over until the fat lady sings. At this point though, I'm thinking that it hinges on the debate.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 02:38:57 PM »

I think he wants to wait and see what happens at the debate. If Bernie has a breakout moment, he might be inclined to run, as a way to "save the Dems" from Bernie.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »

I'm starting to get annoyed with the invisible Biden campaign. Do it or don't. I feel sad his son died, that's obviously one of the worst things that can happen to a father, but he's been hyping himself up as a candidate for a while now.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 03:24:38 PM »

He's an attention whore. Palin 2012.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 03:45:14 PM »

This Biden blip started 10 weeks ago with that Dowd column. At first it seemed to be a trial balloon but now it seems like he is essentially keeping the party in limbo. It has probably put a dent into Clinton's fundraising and endorsements as many elites wait to see what Joe is going to do. At some point very soon party elites will demand he make a decision so they can move on one way or the other.

As for rank and file voters, not showing up at the debate will probably cut his polling numbers in half. You have to play to win.

heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 04:08:47 PM »

So I guess we are stuck with Clintonista or the blow-hard...the tweedledee & the tweedledum of sleaze!...brilliant choices! The lesser of who cares!!!!😣
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 05:54:25 PM »

He's certainly wearing on the patience of party leaders at this point.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »

It's way too late-IIRC the only time a modern candidate has entered this late was either Thompson or Perry, both of whom absolutely bombed.

The surrogate attacks on Biden are already starting, and he's left it too late. 
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »

It's way too late-IIRC the only time a modern candidate has entered this late was either Thompson or Perry, both of whom absolutely bombed.

It's pretty much my view. People were giving him until the end of September, but the basic view is, if he really wanted to mount a run, he would have done it by now.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 06:07:56 PM »

Thompson entered in early September, but had formed an exploratory committee in June. Perry entered in mid August. So, yeah. Way too late.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »

The latest entry this century I can think of was Wesley Clark, who jumped in Sept. 17 2003. But like Thompson and Perry, his late entry campaign was not so good.

It was easier to jump in late in years past. Jerry Brown announced his 1992 run on October 21, 1991 and came in second behind Clinton for the nomination. Ted Kennedy announced his 1980 run on November 7, 1979 and he won 11 states against a sitting President.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »

The election is 13 months away. He has over three months before the voting starts and the media is giving him free publicity. The fact that Biden has waited thing long says maybe he's the only sane man in the room. Think about it. Why endure months and months of being asked the same questions over and over again, having to constantly be in coffee shops and eat junk food while barely getting any sleep and staying in motels. If he runs, he will spend at least half a year doing all of that and if he's nominated, a full year. It's not like he's Martin O'Malley or Jim Webb where no one has heard of him, he's our Vice President and a long time U.S. Senator from Delaware who twice sought his party's presidential nomination.

I also think those who are declaring candidates defeated months before the voting begins to be forgetting that it's October. At this point in 2007, Rudy Giuliani was the front-runner, then the Bernie Kerik story broke and Mike Huckabee began rallying the religious right, and that all changed by December 1, 2007. Also, no one heard of Bill Clinton in October 1991, Paul Tsongas was probably the front-runner at that point. It's October people, not January. He has a few weeks to decide, though some of the filing deadlines are approaching so really he has another 10-15 days realistically.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 06:39:41 PM »

There's more to it dudeabides.

You cannot run for president as a serious candidate without equally serious fundraising and organisation. The longer he waits, the greater the risk that loses all of those people and is reliant on another established candidate collapsing.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 06:53:15 PM »

You cannot run for president as a serious candidate without equally serious fundraising and organisation. The longer he waits, the greater the risk that loses all of those people and is reliant on another established candidate collapsing.

Not to mention getting on the ballot in primary states - something which I'm pretty sure can only be done after one has declared their candidacy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »

Not to mention getting on the ballot in primary states - something which I'm pretty sure can only be done after one has declared their candidacy.

Arkansas has the first deadline of Nov. 9. Now, maybe it's not a big deal if he doesn't compete for 32 delegates in a state Hillary lived in for a quarter century. But I think he'd want to get in by the following day, the deadline to compete for Texas'  208 delegates.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 07:23:58 PM »

It's premature to say "won't." If he doesn't announce by Wednesday (day after campaign to undercut the post-debate chatter), then I'd say it's probably over. It might almost be almost more strategic to do it Wednesday than today, for example.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 07:34:55 PM »

There is no question he has to decide by Oct  25 or so but he will be able to raise plenty of money and he will get a ground game going.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »

There is no question he has to decide by Oct  25 or so but he will be able to raise plenty of money and he will get a ground game going.

Pretty much all of the best people have been drawn up - his machine right now is the Draft Biden movement. Even if he does run, he's left himself very little time to get a machine going.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 08:07:26 PM »

I remember that, too. Initially, it was by early August, then early September, then early October, and now it is sometime after the debate. It's possible--pending Hillary's performance and polling--that Biden, and maybe Jerry Brown, will enter, but with each day past the first debate, it becomes extremely unlikely.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 08:28:41 PM »

I think that's the issue - Biden can't really look too opportunistic. Should either Hillary or Bernie screw up massively tomorrow, then it's better than he's already in the race, rather than CLEARLY waiting for someone to screw up and ride in on his white charger.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies