McConnell wants to weaken filibuster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:08:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McConnell wants to weaken filibuster
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: McConnell wants to weaken filibuster  (Read 3132 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »

Good news.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/256631-senate-gop-opens-door-to-weakening-the-filibuster

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is opening the door to changing the filibuster in response to growing pressure from Republicans angered that Democrats have blocked legislation from reaching the White House.

McConnell has appointed a special task force to explore changes to the filibuster rule and other procedural hurdles — including whether to eliminate filibusters on motions to proceed to legislation. That’s a tactic the minority often uses to shut down a bill before amendments can be considered.

McConnell has tapped his close ally, Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), and Senate Rules Committee Chairman Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) to form a task force with Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) and two other freshmen to weigh various reforms. They hope to implement the changes at the start of next year.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »

All filibusters should be the fun talky kind.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »

Good, though I have my doubts that it will go anywhere.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »

The hell didn't you do this when the Democrats blocked literally the most significant piece of legislation to come through Congress in the last decade?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »

The hell didn't you do this when the Democrats blocked literally the most significant piece of legislation to come through Congress in the last decade?
What piece of legislation is that exactly?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »

Apparently the Zionist means the resolution of disapproval for the Iran deal.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »

Not by much really. It only obtains to amendments, not to final passage. Hopefully it will be nixed entirely come 2017. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »

All filibusters should be the fun talky kind.
Indeed.  The "procedural" filibuster is stupid.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2015, 02:55:30 PM by Rubio Republican »

Nice use of Zionist as a snarl word. Yes, I do believe that the Jews should have a state, as the world has proven quite often that they want us dead. Given the massive rally where two top speakers spoke of their hate for us yesterday in Washington DC, I feel even less hesitance as usual about identifying as such.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »

This Zionist hopes that my Dutch government will ensure that Greeks pay a special internet tax in the future, directly to the German and Dutch governments, so you won't afford to pay your bills anymore Kiss
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »

The filibuster is against democracy. I support this move.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »

Oh look, the Zionists got angry for being called what they really are.
Maybe next time I'll call you neocons if you're so delicate flowers.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 03:36:50 PM »

Maybe it would be better to stop labeling posters at all, in such a caustic way. True, all Zionism means is that you support the existence of the Jewish Israeli state, as opposed to liquidating it (an opinion that is certainly mainstream, with which about what 80% of the US public agrees) but you mean it as an insult. There is no need to be so hostile to other posters personally. Just attack their ideas if you don't like them. I vehemently disagree with the subject poster as to all those Israeli settlements in the hinterlands of the West Bank (some of them illegal under Israeli law), but I don't call him an irredentist Zionist on steroids. I just focus on why I think that approach is unwise and wrong. Just a thought.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »

Maybe it would be better to stop labeling posters at all, in such a caustic way. True, all Zionism means is that you support the existence of the Jewish Israeli state, as opposed to liquidating it (an opinion that is certainly mainstream, with which about what 80% of the US public agrees) but you mean it as an insult. There is no need to be so hostile to other posters personally. Just attack their ideas if you don't like them. I vehemently disagree with the subject poster as to all those Israeli settlements in the hinterlands of the West Bank (some of them illegal under Israeli law), but I don't call him an irredentist Zionist on steroids. I just focus on why I think that approach is unwise and wrong. Just a thought.

Almost everybody supports Israel's existence. Me too.
But the Zionists do it in an obnoxious and fanatical way, sometimes asking other nations to ignore their own interests in order to serve Israel's, which is exactly what happened during the Iran deal debate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 04:15:43 PM »

Did the Democrats dare use it once or twice in retaliation for the Republicans using it every single damn time?
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 04:20:23 PM »

Nice use of Zionist as a snarl word. Yes, I do believe that the Jews should have a state...

Who cares?  Nobody deserves a state and they certainly don't deserve a state carved out of land where other people are living.  If everyone is treated the same most of Britain would have to decamp back to Germany and France and America would have to be emptied back to... everywhere.  "Jews should have a state" is 100% garbage.  Face it unless you are native American or some other type of person who traces their prehistoric roots back to a completely uninhabited land you should have a grand total of jacksh**t.  If you have a nice comfy home in Europe or the United States you should just thank god and move on with your life.  Well you can ask for your own country but no on is under any obligation Biblical or otherwise to provide it and certainly not at their expense nor at the expense of a small Palestinian child.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »

Nice use of Zionist as a snarl word. Yes, I do believe that the Jews should have a state...

Who cares?  Nobody deserves a state and they certainly don't deserve a state carved out of land where other people are living.  If everyone is treated the same most of Britain would have to decamp back to Germany and France and America would have to be emptied back to... everywhere.  "Jews should have a state" is 100% garbage.  Face it unless you are native American or some other type of person who traces their prehistoric roots back to a completely uninhabited land you should have a grand total of jacksh**t.  If you have a nice comfy home in Europe or the United States you should just thank god and move on with your life.  Well you can ask for your own country but no on is under any obligation Biblical or otherwise to provide it and certainly not at their expense nor at the expense of a small Palestinian child.

Well, tough.

The Jews are back where they originated, after every country in the world made very clear they either actively wanted us dead or just didn't care if we were wiped out. And they have roughly 300 nuclear weapons, as well. More than enough to wipe out any country that simply can't abide by Jews existing. So Israel is here to stay. Jews are here to stay.
Angel of Death
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 04:43:23 PM »

As this thread got derailed anyway:

Well, tough.

The Jews are back where they originated, after every country in the world made very clear they either actively wanted us dead or just didn't care if we were wiped out. And they have roughly 300 nuclear weapons, as well. More than enough to wipe out any country that simply can't abide by Jews existing. So Israel is here to stay. Jews are here to stay.

And what if they become a minority in Palestine again? Do another round of ethnic cleansing?
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 04:45:50 PM »

Well, tough.

This is the top-notic Zionist offense.

"We have nukes, and we don't really care about the rest of the world or our allies. We cannot be trusted with nuclear weapons ourselves, but we'll bitch and moan about how the Iranians don't deserve them."
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 04:50:12 PM »

Well, tough.

"We have nukes, and we don't really care about the rest of the world or our allies. We cannot be trusted with nuclear weapons ourselves, but we'll bitch and moan about how the Iranians don't deserve them."

It seems a fitting response to "You don't deserve safety in the diaspora, and you don't deserve a state of your own."

The only response to that is "Well, we took it. Deal with it."
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »

Well, tough.

It seems a fitting response to "You don't deserve safety in the diaspora, and you don't deserve a state of your own."

Jews in the United States and Europe must be getting rounded up by the thousands and killed.

Oh, wait.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »

Well, tough.

Jews in the United States and Europe must be getting rounded up by the thousands and killed.

Oh, wait.

How much have you been paying attention to Europe over the last few years? They're being terrorized and attacked on a regular basis, and Neo-Nazi parties are rising in many nations.

As for the US, it's definitely one of the best countries in the world for Jews. I'm sure if the worst happened, they'd be willing to serve as a haven for - oh, wait. The last time that happened, they let six million die.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »

How much have you been paying attention to Europe over the last few years? They're being terrorized and attacked on a regular basis, and Neo-Nazi parties are rising in many nations.

Besides Hungary where else has it happened?
Neo-nazis and other assorted far-right groups target almost exclusively Arab immigrants for years now
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 05:04:01 PM »

Well, tough.

Oh, wait.

As for the US, it's definitely one of the best countries in the world for Jews. I'm sure if the worst happened, they'd be willing to serve as a haven for - oh, wait. The last time that happened, they let six million die.

Oh really?  We "let" 6 million die? The full consequences of the Holocaust were not known until late in the war.  What would you have done to save those in the concentration campus if you were Roosevelt? Your comments are extremely disrespectful.  You do realize hundreds of thousands of Americans died fighting the Nazis, right? 
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »

Well, tough.

Oh, wait.

Oh really?  We "let" 6 million die? The full consequences of the Holocaust were not known until late in the war.  What would you have done to save those in the concentration campus if you were Roosevelt? Your comments are extremely disrespectful.  You do realize hundreds of thousands of Americans died fighting the Nazis, right? 

Yes, I do. The Allies defeated Hitler for the sake of global security.

However, FDR did not do a thing to prevent or mitigate the effects of the Holocaust. He refused to target the death camp infrastructure. He refused to allow refugees to settle in the US.

And it's not true that the full scope of the Holocaust wasn't known. Jewish groups were working overtime to make people aware of the facts. Mainstream media didn't cover it. The leaders were turned away at the white house. People had other priorities, and six million died.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies