$50 fine for not voting.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:25:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  $50 fine for not voting.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $50 fine for not voting.  (Read 2455 times)
Shira

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2005, 08:01:05 PM »

What do you think would have been the 2004 presidential elections results if there was a law that everyone who does not vote has to pay $50 fine?

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »

What do you think would have been the 2004 presidential elections results if there was a law that everyone who does not vote has to pay $50 fine?

Republican landslide, 75-25. Since obviously only the Democrats would have advocated this rule, and the 50% of 18+ year olds who don't normally vote would be pissed off about it.
Shira

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 08:09:43 PM »

Republican landslide, 75-25. Since obviously only the Democrats would have advocated this rule, and the 50% of 18+ year olds who don't normally vote would be pissed off about it.

But let's assume that this rule was not a new one but rather existed in the last 70 years and that it started with $10 fine and gradually went up to $50.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 08:16:23 PM »

One of the parties would have opposed it then too, and won in a landslide. Though it is not and never has been constitutional for Congress to impose a fine for not voting, I'll assume you mean state legislatures did it, in which case they would be swept out of office, thus clearing the way for repeal in every state.

In short, no matter what, the people who don't like voting are a large enough percentage of the population that forcing them to vote would blow up in the party's face that enacted it, and the other party would be smart enough to use that to their advantage.

Even if both major parties supported it, a third party would win, 50-25-25.
Shira

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 10:42:48 PM »

One of the parties would have opposed it then too, and won in a landslide. Though it is not and never has been constitutional for Congress to impose a fine for not voting, I'll assume you mean state legislatures did it, in which case they would be swept out of office, thus clearing the way for repeal in every state.

In short, no matter what, the people who don't like voting are a large enough percentage of the population that forcing them to vote would blow up in the party's face that enacted it, and the other party would be smart enough to use that to their advantage.

You are missing the point. I am not talking about who is the initiator of this hypothetical rule. Let’s even assume that it was from the beginning. In other words let’s assume that such a fine would have increased the turnout from almost 60% to 90%. How would these additional 30% have voted?

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 11:00:42 PM »

A very good idea. But you should point out that they usually let a 'first offence' go.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 11:30:27 PM »

You are missing the point. I am not talking about who is the initiator of this hypothetical rule. Let’s even assume that it was from the beginning. In other words let’s assume that such a fine would have increased the turnout from almost 60% to 90%. How would these additional 30% have voted?

For whatever party promised to repeal the law. One would.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 11:40:58 PM »

The Libertarians would probably denounce the fine as a violation of civil liberties:

Badnarik (L) 51% (526 EVs)
Bush (R) - 25% (9 EVs - UT, ID)
Kerry (D) - 23% (3 EVs - DC)
M

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 11:58:34 PM »

If it happened at an earlier date, chances are history would be so butterflied up that neither Bush nor Kerry would likely ever be born, let alone run for president.

But I'll play your game. My natural instinct is to guess it benefits the Democrats. Of course, the 2004 election shook up the conventional wisdom, and in truth its anyones's guess.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 04:28:49 PM »

I don't think Democrats would be benefit if the law was enacted 70 years ago like Shira says as it would have been approved of by the Democratic Congress and President FDR.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 05:41:13 PM »

The Libertarians would probably denounce the fine as a violation of civil liberties:

Badnarik (L) 51% (526 EVs)
Bush (R) - 25% (9 EVs - UT, ID)
Kerry (D) - 23% (3 EVs - DC)

I LIKE those numbers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies