Your political views become centrist for your country. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:57:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your political views become centrist for your country. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your political views become centrist for your country.  (Read 4533 times)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« on: October 22, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »
« edited: October 23, 2015, 09:55:57 AM by mvd10 »

Well, I probably stand in the right wing of the VVD (people's party for freedom and democracy) here so the Netherlands would make a pretty big move to the right on economic issues. Here is a  picture of where the average Dutch person stands (and I am to the right of the VVD on economic issues and about the same on social issues I believe) :

http://static1.trouw.nl/static/photo/2012/1/14/4/20120911112045/media_xl_1349134.jpg

VNL and the Libertarian party probably would fill in the gap to the right of the VVD (VNL wasn't included in the picture since it didn't exist in 2012 and the Libertarian party just was too small). Rutte probably still would be prime minister (or maybe someone from the more conservative wing of the VVD like Zijlstra or van Baalen), but instead of governing with Labour and selling out quite a lot of his platform he would be governing with 1 or 2 out of CDA, D66 or VNL. VVD-CDA-D66 actually is the dream of a lot of right wingers here but if my views were centrist for Dutch standards VVD-CDA-D66 with Rutte as VVD leader and prime minister would be a rather left wing government (Rutte is pretty progressive for a VVD member and CDA and D66 would be the mainstream left wing parties if my views were centrist for Dutch standards).

A lot of the income redistribution probably would not have happened, the coalition would have focused even more on cutting spending instead of raising taxes, and I think the comprehensive tax reform the coalition wanted would have succeeded, but probably not in the way they initially proposed it with raising sales taxes to lower income/payroll taxes.

On social policy not much would change actually, perhaps abortion will become slightly more of an issue, but nothing will change on gay marriage and euthanasia (both are currently allowed) and perhaps punishments will be slightly harsher.

I don't know how the foreign policy will change, but the Netherlands doesn't really have a lot of influence anyways. TTIP and CETA would become a lot more popular though. ISDS and the 'chlorine chicken' still wouldn't be popular but the opposition against TTIP and CETA based on economic views would be a lot smaller.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies