transgender individuals in the girls HS locker room? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:29:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  transgender individuals in the girls HS locker room? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: transgender individuals in the girls HS locker room?  (Read 9929 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: October 22, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »

We don't need to ban group shower areas. Accept that some kids will want to wear their swim shorts/suits while they shower, which is what I did for these situations in school and boy scouts.  Telling a transgirl she has to wear shorts during the shower or else use a private shower stall, and to agree to use a stall or else a private room when she changes if she is getting naked, should not be considered a human right violation. 

In any case what the feds are doing here is overbearing: calling this a matter of gender equality under Title IX (by that logic separate boy and girl lockers would be verboten) and penalizing the districts for coming up with a solution isn't ideal but then what is?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »

Must be a weird mindset to reduce everyone you meet to their disembodied genitals, Schadenfreude. I'm afraid I don't quite follow your train of thought with the whole HiV analogy (accepting trans people is equivalent to The Scramble for Africa?), although at a guess that train has long since derailed.

@shua, I was talking about nude showers, which is a different kettle of fish. If people are wearing consumes then I see no reason to worry, or even bother segregating the genders at all (providing of course there are appropriate private stalls for the shy)

young boys will like to try to peek in the stalls when given the opportunity to see the mysterious other.  no, it is best to have separate rooms altogether.

societies have cared about gender in ways that are not completely identical to sex for ages. and they found ways to carve out spaces for this to fit this around the dominant gender roles that were related to sex.  What's new here I think comes out of both a politicization of gender under the idea of rights and a real contestation over the relationship between biology and identity (both of which claiming ultimate importance), so that transgenderism shakes ideas about gender to the very root in a way that it hasn't before.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies