Woman claims Vitter got her pregnant, asked her to have an abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:57:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Woman claims Vitter got her pregnant, asked her to have an abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Woman claims Vitter got her pregnant, asked her to have an abortion  (Read 4932 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »

Why would this change anything?  Louisiana already knows that Vitter commits adultery, breaks the law by using prostitutes, and has a diaper fetish.  It's not like this story comes as a surprise.

He pressured a woman into having an abortion -I imagine even a state as tolerant as Louisiana would have a breaking point when a supposedly pro-life politician acts contrary to his core beliefs when life and death are concerned.  This is still the Deep South, after all.  

No, he's finished now.  
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2015, 11:45:35 PM »

Why would this change anything?  Louisiana already knows that Vitter commits adultery, breaks the law by using prostitutes, and has a diaper fetish.  It's not like this story comes as a surprise.

He pressured a woman into having an abortion -I imagine even a state as tolerant as Louisiana would have a breaking point when a supposedly pro-life politician acts contrary to his core beliefs when life and death are concerned.  This is still the Deep South, after all.  

No, he's finished now.  

One would hope. But there's still the chance of him squeaking through into the final two with divided opposition. If Des Jarlais can pull it off, Vitter probably can too.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 12:32:13 AM »

Look how everyone- Republican and Democrat reacted to this story.  We all seem to know that abortion kills a human being.

Nah, most liberals are just upset with the hypocrisy.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 12:53:23 AM »

Look how everyone- Republican and Democrat reacted to this story.  We all seem to know that abortion kills a human being.

The issue here is not so much abortion as it is hypocrisy. Vitter wants to keep his constituents from getting abortions, but it's suddenly okay when he is involved in an unwanted pregnancy.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 12:55:19 AM »

Yes:

On one hand, Vitter wants to prevent anyone from having an abortion; on the other hand, he wants mistakes he made to be subject to abortion.

On one hand, Vitter wants to cut vital services that help newborns and young children; on the other hand, he wants to wear diapers.

Total hypocrite!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 12:58:14 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2015, 01:37:20 AM by Ebowed »

Yes, and unless David Vitter has also come out for the legalization of prostitution, it's not like this should shock anyone.  I'm also not convinced it would be a lethal general election issue for him. When Louisiana ranks 'family values' high on its list of priorities, they are not really talking about the integrity of their politicians, but more things like whether they are Muslim or not, whether they support modern segregationist tactics (i.e. 'school choice'). This is not really about whether abortion should be legal or not. It's about demonizing women and, given David Vitter's personal history, the information that he degrades women for his personal ambition is not a revelation nor will it be treated as one by the voters.

In Vitter's own mind, there probably isn't much of an inconsistency here.  He has no problem telling other women what to do with their bodies.  Why should his mistress be any different?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 01:09:40 AM »

It's always good to bring up this, too.  Vitter, a Louisiana state representative in 1998, weighs in on MONICAGATE.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's more important to talk the talk than walk the walk.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 01:36:58 AM »

Dardenne has my support now. This is disturbing, whether it is true or not. My pro-life views don't bend for hypocrites.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 01:46:51 AM »

If these allegations turn out to be true I hope he resigns his senate seat immediately and drops out of the race. This man is a total joke. I don't give a damn if you want an abortion, but to pressure someone to have one while publicly crying out against abortion is disgusting. First the prostitution scandal and now this. I honestly have a lot of sympathy for his wife and kids for how much of this they have to endure. Hows that abstinence education working out for you Vitter?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 02:11:28 AM »

What's also kinda sadly ironic is that he had just started to run an ad featuring his wife.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 02:31:38 AM »

What's also kinda sadly ironic is that he had just started to run an ad featuring his wife.

Maybe it's schadenfreude talking, but that's just hilarious. He really should just stop mentioning family values ever again.

Though I kind of wonder if the kid ended up politically active at all. He/she would be close to voting age, after all. Imagine knowing that you were adopted, following Vitter's career/scandals, then this happened. I would be very paranoid about my parentage if I was in Louisiana.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2015, 04:41:58 AM »

No we don't, because it doesn't.

We're stunned by the hypocrisy.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2015, 06:13:09 AM »

So does war. So does an execution. So does self defense that results in the justifiable killing of an attacker. So does vehicular homicide. So do workplace accidents. So do medical pathologies from smoking, drinking, and fornication.

Yet we still have military force to establish foreign policy. Some States still act as if lawful executions are adequate deterrents to murder. We still drive.  We have industry and big construction projects. We still legally smoke and drink, and we cant stop sex outside of marriage.

Abortion is a rare, drastic,  and troubling deed. If for the life and health of the woman or girl who has the abortion one has a strong justification. Consequences of rape? It is difficult for any woman or girl to give the appropriate love to the child of a rape that a child needs  especially if one has legitimate fear that the child might grow up to be a monster.   If some starlet or model has an abortion because it might allow her to get a film role or a modeling shoot that she might not get if pregnant, then maybe we have something objectionable. On the other side, if I have a pistol and encounter someone raping my eleven-year-old daughter, then I might just blow the rapist's brains out. If she should get pregnant from the rape, and if the pregnancy can be harmful to the child's life, I might insist upon an abortion.   

It's hard for anyone to see abortion as an end in itself. But ask yourself whether there are circumstances in which abortion is the sole means of dealing with a harmful pregnancy.

...David Vitter offends both those conservatives who believe abortion wrong... and those liberals who see extreme hypocrisy in some loud advocate of 'family values' who consorts with whores and has a mistress on the side.  Senator Larry Craig stepped down for much less of an offense than this, and for the sake of the Republican Party, David Senator Vitter would be wise to follow his example. 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2015, 11:09:45 AM »

Why would this change anything?  Louisiana already knows that Vitter commits adultery, breaks the law by using prostitutes, and has a diaper fetish.  It's not like this story comes as a surprise.

Yeah it wasn't like he was on my endorsement list before. It's Louisiana. There are plenty of pro-lifers who don't use prostitutes to choose from.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 01:00:36 PM »

There's rumors Vitter is bullying some news outlets into dropping the story.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »

Then he's even more of a dumb who fails to understand how information travels in 2015.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 03:30:38 PM »

The Times-Picayune and The Advocate have steered clear of the rumors as far as I can tell. I hope things stay on the back-burner until election day so that Vitter make it into the runoff with Edwards.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »

Anyone who tries to intimidate the news media can only intensify the negative coverage.

At this stage he is throwing away a Senate seat in 2016 that the GOP will need.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »

Now he's not going to make the runoff for Bel Edwards to swoop in and defeat him...

Junk timing!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 11:41:07 PM »

Hypothetically speaking:

Let's say Vitter is in the top two in the primary and goes to the runoff against Edwards.  Suppose his candidacy blows up just after that primary election, and it looks like he's a goner against Edwards.  Is there any legal option available for him to pull a Toricelli, and drop out of the runoff election?  Would that put the third place finisher in the runoff election, or just result in the runoff being cancelled or something?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 12:03:49 AM »

^ Edwin Edwards basically did that in 1987. Edwards came in second in the primary, but refused to go into the runoff. Roemer was first place in the primary, so he was elected Governor with 33%.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »

Two women who knew Vitter's mistress gave interviews and seem to confirm her story.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »

Shhhhh, just wait until after Saturday.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »

Thank you.

It always annoys me when people reveal scandals during the primaries.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2015, 04:55:32 PM »

Holy cow...in a day when the Democratic Party is as dead in the South as cotton farming, we might elect a Democrat in Louisiana! The winds of change are blowing
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies