Maryland police say transgender woman's killing was 'not random'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:30:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maryland police say transgender woman's killing was 'not random'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maryland police say transgender woman's killing was 'not random'  (Read 3707 times)
whiplash
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2015, 05:12:19 PM »

theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/17/transgender-woman-killed-maryland-washington-dc-suburb
Yet another transgender person got killed. It is turning into a transgender homicide cycle cause her death was the 22th case of transgender homicide happened this year. I wonder when it's going to stop. Surely there are people who are not tolerant towards transgenders but killing people because of their sexual identity is just way too much. That says a lot about the real level of consciousness of our society.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 05:22:23 PM »

Your article doesn't seem to support your claims.  There are 330 million people in America.  22 dead transgender people in 10 months doesn't necessarily qualify as a sinister epidemic.  Unless my math is wrong.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »

What are the number of transgendered people in USA? We need that number to know how many transgender who killed per 100 000 so we can compare it with the general murder rate.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »

I recall John Oliver saying the number of transgender people in the US was comparable to the population of Boston. So about 650k.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 06:02:16 PM »

Okay I checked up on it according to wikipedia around 0,3% of the population of USA are transgender, that give us around 1 million transgender people. That give us a homicide rate of 2,2 which is lower than the general homicide rate of 4,7.

As only half the homicide victims in USA are White, transgenders seem to have the same homicide rate as White Americans (includes Hispanic Whites). But here it becomes interesting, men are much more likely to be murdered than women, so if a significant part of the victims have a gender identity as women, we would see a significant overrepresentation.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »

I recall John Oliver saying the number of transgender people in the US was comparable to the population of Boston. So about 650k.

If there's only 650k, we would see a homicide rate of 3,38. It's lower than the American homicide rate as a whole. But significant higher than for White Americans, and all comments about gender identity still count.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 06:41:13 PM »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2012/05/murder-statistics-of-transgender-people/

Interesting article above tldr is that although the figure of an epidemic of trans homicide is a distortion, such hate crimes are a reflection of disproportionate cases of harassment, violence and other such terrible things inflicted upon the trans community.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies