Fox: Webb to drop out of Democratic race for prez (announcement Tues 1pm)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:31:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Fox: Webb to drop out of Democratic race for prez (announcement Tues 1pm)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Fox: Webb to drop out of Democratic race for prez (announcement Tues 1pm)  (Read 8806 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »

Collectively, Democrats have more moderates in their ranks than Republicans do and there certainly hasn't been any intention purge in primaries.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »

The Democratic Party has become a party where everyone has identical views and where moderates are no longer accepted.

The only two Republican candidates who don't tote the party platform >95% are Rand Paul and George Pataki. Both are completely fringe in the polls and placed in the far corner of the debate stage. The difference between the Republican candidates is purely stylistic.

Do you want someone who will yell with anger about opposing the Iran deal, cutting taxes, increasing defense spending, and privatizing Medicare? Or do you want someone who will do it with a nicer voice? Or someone who will do with a Southern accent?

How about The Donald? The Pro-choice, anti-Kim Davis, fair trading, pro-single payer moderate frontrunner?

And can Mr. Webb please drag Lincoln Chafee with him?

Well, Trump will retroactively agree with 100% of the GOP platform when he rewrites it in his image.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »

This changes everything!
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2015, 11:37:47 AM »

But 'can't ebb the webb'! Cry
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2015, 12:31:57 PM »

Press Conference has concluded. He's out.

Recording of Conference: http://www.c-span.org/video/?328832-1/james-webb-news-conference-presidential-candidacy

Quotes from his twitter:

"More People in this country call themselves political independents than either Republican or Democrat. I happen to agree with them."

"Our country is more important than a label. Democrats in yrs past like Sam Nunn, Scoop Jackson, Mike Mansfield & John F. Kennedy understood."

"Americans are disgusted by all this talk of Republicans & Democrats calling each other the enemy instead of finding ways to work together."

"The other party is not the enemy; they are the opposition. In our democracy we are lucky to have an opposition, to have honest debate."

"Over the yrs, whether working w/ Democrats or Republicans, my basic beliefs, principles of leadership & love of country have never changed."

"The very nature of our democracy is under siege, due to the power structure & the money that finances both political parties. #WebbNation"

"Our political candidates are being pulled to the extremes. They are increasingly out of step with the people they are supposed to serve."

"Poll after poll shows that a strong plurality of Americans is neither Republican nor Democrat. Overwhelmingly they’re independents."

"Americans don’t like the extremes to which both parties have moved in recent years, and I don’t blame them."

"I fully accept that my views on many issues are not compatible with the power structure and the nominating base of the Democratic Party."

"hierarchy is not comfortable with many of the policies that I have laid forth, and frankly I am not that comfortable with many of theirs."

"...For this reason I am withdrawing from any consideration of being the Democratic Party’s nominee for the Presidency."

"This does not reduce in any way my concerns about the challenges facing our country, my belief that I can provide the best leadership..."

"How I remain as a voice will depend on what kind of support I am shown in the coming days & weeks as I meet with people from all sides..."
Angel of Death
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »

Oh dear, another "moderate martyr".
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2015, 01:56:41 PM »

Well, 35-38% of Americans call themselves "moderates". But there is little place for them in Democratic party, and even less - in Republican...
defe07

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2015, 02:13:17 PM »

I've always been in favor of letting Independents have their own primary and/or participate in third party primaries (provided that these parties do so). I think we shouldn't be surprised if Webb runs with somebody like Bloomberg or Huntsman on an independent ticket (think No Labels).
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2015, 02:39:22 PM »

They are propping up Donald Trump, and they are ignoring Lincoln Chaffee,

Chaffee had his media attention at the debate-and he was awful
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »

Independents are not a monolithic voting bloc that equals moderate and I do not know when people will realize that. You have left-leaning independents and right-leaning independents who vote exclusively for one party or the other. Independent and moderate are not synonymous.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2015, 03:01:42 PM »

Independents are not a monolithic voting bloc that equals moderate and I do not know when people will realize that. You have left-leaning independents and right-leaning independents who vote exclusively for one party or the other. Independent and moderate are not synonymous.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »

"Jeremy Levine ‏@Jeremy10036  · 35m35 minutes ago 
@RyanLizza He might as well just run as a Republican. He's clueless, weird, racist, and prides himself in killing people. He'll fit right in"

Just one problem: he's a standard liberal Democrat who happens to oppose some affirmative action.

Ronald Reagan's Navy Secretary was a standard liberal Democrat?

Barack Hussein Obama's Chinese Ambassador was a conservative?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2015, 03:58:13 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Collectively, Democrats have more moderates in their ranks than Republicans do and there certainly hasn't been any intention purge in primaries.

True, and not just in marginal areas. There are some conservadems in very blue areas like Seantors Feinstein and Carper and Representatives Lipinski and Sanford Bishop.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2015, 04:42:37 PM »

Absolutely. Besides it's usually younger voters who call themselves independent. And young voters are perhaps the least moderate voting group there is. Most young voters are either very, very liberal or very conservative/libertarian.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »

Collectively, Democrats Republicans have more moderates in their ranks than Republicans Democrats do and there certainly hasn't been any intention purge in primaries.

You call Biden, Hillary, and Chaffe all moderates while you deny the fact Jeb, Trump, Fiorina, Rubio and at least a couple others are moderate.

(Sorry Rubio I like you but some of what you've done in the past 6 years as a senator puts you in this camp)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2015, 09:04:25 PM »

Nice try Webbers.

SLFN
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »

When Jim Webb announces dank third party run

Senator Jim Webb (I-VA)/Patriot Darryl W. Perry (I-NH) - 71%, 538 EV's
Weakling Bernard Sanders (D-VT)/Woman Hillary Clinton (D-NY) - 29%, 0 EV's
Young Hispanic Marco Rubio (R-FL)/Human Frisbee John Kasich (R-OH) - Ineligible, too young
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »

Collectively, Democrats Republicans have more moderates in their ranks than Republicans Democrats do and there certainly hasn't been any intention purge in primaries.

You call Biden, Hillary, and Chaffe all moderates while you deny the fact Jeb, Trump, Fiorina, Rubio and at least a couple others are moderate.

(Sorry Rubio I like you but some of what you've done in the past 6 years as a senator puts you in this camp)

Rubio has a near perfect rating from the ACU. Fiorina ran has a strong conservative in her senate race and Jeb tows the conservative line on every issue but immigration and education. Comparing them to former Republicans Chafee and Webb is ridiculous.

defe07

« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2015, 05:33:46 PM »

You're right! But would it be fair to have independent voters have their own primary? Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies