If Jim Webb were to run as an independent, who would be his running mate? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:41:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Jim Webb were to run as an independent, who would be his running mate? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Jim Webb were to run as an independent, who would be his running mate?  (Read 3675 times)
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« on: October 28, 2015, 11:38:05 PM »

Definitely not Bloomberg.
Possible: Buddy Roemer, Virgil Goode

Unlikely but might be cool: Mark Pryor, Jon Huntsman, Walter Jones, Brian Schweitzer
Virgil Goode... you are kidding me right? He and Webb agree on almost nothing and they are from the same state. What a joke. Roemer is an option though, he is still probably too conservative but he is much more moderate than Goode and a legitimate reformer.

John Huntsman is interesting but perhaps too conservative and I doubt he would accept. Walter Jones is great but I have to imagine that if he wanted to run a long shot third party VP campaign he would run with Gary Johnson. Webb/Schweitzer is very close to a dream ticket for me, I think the two are well paired ideologically but that also means they aren't spreading a wide net.

[/quote]
Not happening. Independent Bloomberg is never, ever happening, thank God.

I'd bet on Artur Davis. He doesn't have anything going on.
[/quote]
Interesting I didn't know about Davis before you brought him up. Looks like a good match honestly. Plus a black running mate might deflect some of the racism accusations.

A Webb-Perot, Jr. ticket seems interesting. C. T. Whitman, Condoleeza Rice, Eliot Cutler, Frank McEnulty, Chris Daggett, Richard Tisei, John Avlon, Pat Choate, or Angus King are the main ones I can think of, and only Avlon, Tisei, Rice, and Whitman aren't old white guys.
I can't really see any of these besides perhaps King (who wouldn't accept).

That being said nice to see you KP I've missed your contributions on AH. Smiley

I could see Lincoln Chafee as a possible running-mate. They are both former Republicans turned independents who felt left out by the Democratic Party in 2015.   
I've thought this too but I suspect a Webb/Chafee ticket will be seen as a giant joke considering how both have been treated by the media. Chafee doesn't lend credibility, quite the opposite.

I think Joe Manchin or Steve Beshear would be strong contenders.
Why? Webb isn't socially conservative I don't see this being a good match.

As long as we are throwing out names of random independent politicians how about Governor Bill Walker of Alaska? Or perhaps someone from the good old days who seems to be interested in jumping back into the game like Larry Pressler? Also Lessig has suggested a possible independent campaign if Webb can find no one else. And oh yeah there's Jesse Ventura if he wants to scrape the bottom of the barrel.
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 12:25:59 AM »

I heard the Constitution Party is seriously considering nominating a former US Congressman from Indiana by the name of Hostettler, so maybe a Webb/Hostettler or Hostettler/Webb ticket could give them some recognition! Cheesy
Webb is too socially liberal for the Constitution Party. If he seeks the nomination of any third party, it would be the Libertarian Party.
A Webb/Johnson/Ventura libertarian debate would be interesting... Perhaps thow in Paul when he drops and youve got a respectable looking party.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies