If Jim Webb were to run as an independent, who would be his running mate? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:47:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Jim Webb were to run as an independent, who would be his running mate? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Jim Webb were to run as an independent, who would be his running mate?  (Read 3625 times)
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« on: October 28, 2015, 10:53:41 PM »
« edited: October 29, 2015, 10:58:01 PM by I support Sanders »

I think Joe Manchin or Steve Beshear would be good picks, as well as Lincoln Chafee or Larry Lessig.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 10:55:20 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2015, 10:57:03 PM by I support Sanders »

I could see Lincoln Chafee as a possible running-mate. They are both former Republicans turned independents who felt left out by the Democratic Party in 2015.  
I've thought this too but I suspect a Webb/Chafee ticket will be seen as a giant joke considering how both have been treated by the media. Chafee doesn't lend credibility, quite the opposite.

I think Joe Manchin or Steve Beshear would be strong contenders.
Why? Webb isn't socially conservative I don't see this being a good match.

I think Manchin and Beshear would be good picks because they are Southern Democrats along with Webb, and similar ideologically. Beshear and Manchin are socially moderate, but not conservative, and they are all populist (for example, Beshear's expansion of the ACA in deep-red Kentucky, and Manchin's opposition to Iraq and the TPP). Webb and Manchin also agree that money is corrupting politics, and that Citizens United should be overturned; I don't know Beshear's position on money in politics. Webb is also socially moderate (pro-choice and he now supports marriage equality, but he is a Republican on the issue of firearms). I would love to see Chafee on a presidential ticket as well, be it alongside Webb, or alongside the Democratic nominee.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 06:16:29 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2015, 10:15:38 PM by I support Sanders »

I heard the Constitution Party is seriously considering nominating a former US Congressman from Indiana by the name of Hostettler, so maybe a Webb/Hostettler or Hostettler/Webb ticket could give them some recognition! Cheesy
Webb is too socially liberal for the Constitution Party. If he seeks the nomination of any third party, it would be the Libertarian Party.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 09:40:32 PM »

I heard the Constitution Party is seriously considering nominating a former US Congressman from Indiana by the name of Hostettler, so maybe a Webb/Hostettler or Hostettler/Webb ticket could give them some recognition! Cheesy
Webb is too socially liberal for the Constitution Party. If he seeks the nomination of any third party, it would be the Libertarian Party.
A Webb/Johnson/Ventura libertarian debate would be interesting... Perhaps thow in Paul when he drops and youve got a respectable looking party.
I agree. Johnson is a good candidate, and he has a good chance at being the Libertarian nominee again, but we must remember that the field in 2012 was extremely weak and Johnson was basically handed the nomination, as he was by far the most qualified. As you said, Johnson (former two-term governor and 2012 nominee), Ventura (former one-term governor) and Webb (former Navy Secretary and one-term Senator) would make for a very respectable debate and Party. I've been saying for a year now that the Libertarian Party (along with the Constitution Party) will overtake the Republican Party within the next decade; I see the social conservatives, as Mike Huckabee has previously threatened to do, leaving for the Constitution Party, and the libertarians, such as Gary Johnson, defecting to the Libertarian Party, essentially creating a three-party state, with the Green Party becoming the largest minor party.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 12:54:44 AM »

Webb/Chafee would have my vote if Hillary and any Republican besides Kasich, Graham, and Pataki) are the nominees of their Party. That would also be a great Libertarian ticket, as Webb and Chafee are closer to being Libertarians than they are to being Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies