Austrian Elections & Politics 2.0 (Presidential runoff re-vote: 4 Dec. 2016)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:31:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics 2.0 (Presidential runoff re-vote: 4 Dec. 2016)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 81
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in the Presidential runoff on May 22 ?
Norbert Hofer (FPÖ)
Alexander Van der Bellen (Greens)
I'd invalidate the ballot
I'd stay home
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics 2.0 (Presidential runoff re-vote: 4 Dec. 2016)  (Read 285603 times)
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2016, 06:39:46 AM »

Is it the tenth or the eleventh? Tongue

In regards to that Hinterhornbach result, I am actually quite amazed that the two candidates didn't share a last name Tongue
It's places like this that get as hick as possible as you can in Austria - the uppermost part of a side valley (Hornbachtal) of a side valley (Lechtal) of a remote part (Außerfern) of the most rural, hick state (Tirol) - kinda like the deepest Wyoming of Austria Tongue
It's the twentieth, actually - I was surprised, precisely because I thought those two could always be relied on to come last, but it seems Simmering has gone highbrow. Cheesy Though the higher percentage of non-European immigrants (as opposed to the Yugoslavs in the tenth and eleventh, who often have further education) here will certainly have contributed.
Actually, in terms of "hickness", there are parts of Niederösterreich that strike me as far more advanced than (my impression of) isolated alpine valleys.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2016, 03:43:13 PM »

Wow, I really didn't think of the twentieth. So Simmering has gone upwards in the last years, or is it Brigitennau (that's the 20th, right?) that's declined?

Ah yes, some frontier areas in the Waldviertel or the Südburgenland might dispute it for this title; but I guess remoteness and sheer distance has its role to play too, with that: when you're in Oberpullendorf or Gmünd or wherever, you're in Vienna or Graz in what, an hour? From Hinterhornbach, you'll be glad if you've reached Reutte (its BH) at that point Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2016, 03:10:31 AM »

Next Tuesday, STATISTICS Austria will release the preliminary population numbers for Jan. 1, 2016 and it will likely show that Austria's population has grown by 100.000-120.000 last year.

From 8.58 million to ~8.70 million people.

That's an increase of 1.1-1.3% (all-time growth record).

Austria is not only a magnet for asylum seekers from all over the world, but there's also a huge surplus of citizens from other EU countries that are moving here (especially Germans and Eastern Europeans). Plus, there's also a small natural surplus (more births than deaths) which is getting bigger and bigger these days thanks to African/Middle-Eastern immigrant women with high fertility.

Interesting side fact: Vienna has likely grown by about 40.000 people last year (+2.2%), Graz by 6.000 people (+2%) and Innsbruck even had 3% growth based on their city website (+4.000 people).

Numbers are out:

+115.000 people (+1.34%)

Biggest growth since WW2.

Vienna has grown by 43.000 people (+2.4%) and now has 1.841.000 people.

The number of Austrian citizens declined by 6.000 people, the number of foreigners increased by 121.000

Biggest migration gains by country:

+22.000 Syria
+18.000 Afghanistan
+10.000 Iraq
+10.000 Romania
+  9.000 Hungary
+  6.000 Germany
+  4.000 Croatia
+  3.000 Poland
+  3.000 Slovakia
+  3.000 Iran

http://www.statistik.at/web_en/press/106911.html

http://www.statistik.at/web_de/presse/106910.html
aross
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2016, 08:19:04 AM »

Wow, I really didn't think of the twentieth. So Simmering has gone upwards in the last years, or is it Brigitennau (that's the 20th, right?) that's declined?

Ah yes, some frontier areas in the Waldviertel or the Südburgenland might dispute it for this title; but I guess remoteness and sheer distance has its role to play too, with that: when you're in Oberpullendorf or Gmünd or wherever, you're in Vienna or Graz in what, an hour? From Hinterhornbach, you'll be glad if you've reached Reutte (its BH) at that point Tongue
As I said, I think a large part of it is immigration (You can see in Tender's report that the 20. has the second-highest percentage of foreign-born residents, with only the 15. beating it out.) and, in particular, the nature of immigration (Brigittenau simply has by far the highest Turkish share of population in Vienna, which unfortunately correlates strongly with lack of further education.) But also, there are parts of Simmering district which are nothing like what you associate Simmering with. Brigittenau isn't so sprawling and thus doesn't really have any part that has been gentrified yet, expect perhaps right at the southern border.

I don't think hickness really has much to do with remoteness as long you have that mental sense of being in the middle of nowhere. (And some flat field in NÖ gives me that far more than standing among mountains.) More important is a closed sense of mind and an aversion to outsiders.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »

Considering the coin tosses in the close Iowa caucus yesterday, something similar could happen in the Austrian presidential election (if it ends up close):

If there's a tie between the 2nd and 3rd candidate, the head of the federal election commission will draw a lot to determine the 2nd runoff candidate.

If there's a tie in the runoff though, there won't be any lot drawn. There will be a re-vote until someone gets the most votes.

http://diepresse.com/home/politik/innenpolitik/4910182/Kohl-statt-Khol_Stimme-gultig
Omega21

« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »

Next Tuesday, STATISTICS Austria will release the preliminary population numbers for Jan. 1, 2016 and it will likely show that Austria's population has grown by 100.000-120.000 last year.

From 8.58 million to ~8.70 million people.

That's an increase of 1.1-1.3% (all-time growth record).

Austria is not only a magnet for asylum seekers from all over the world, but there's also a huge surplus of citizens from other EU countries that are moving here (especially Germans and Eastern Europeans). Plus, there's also a small natural surplus (more births than deaths) which is getting bigger and bigger these days thanks to African/Middle-Eastern immigrant women with high fertility.

Interesting side fact: Vienna has likely grown by about 40.000 people last year (+2.2%), Graz by 6.000 people (+2%) and Innsbruck even had 3% growth based on their city website (+4.000 people).

Numbers are out:

+115.000 people (+1.34%)

Biggest growth since WW2.

Vienna has grown by 43.000 people (+2.4%) and now has 1.841.000 people.

The number of Austrian citizens declined by 6.000 people, the number of foreigners increased by 121.000

Biggest migration gains by country:

+22.000 Syria
+18.000 Afghanistan
+10.000 Iraq
+10.000 Romania
+  9.000 Hungary
+  6.000 Germany
+  4.000 Croatia
+  3.000 Poland
+  3.000 Slovakia
+  3.000 Iran

Holy sh**t man, why are you Austrians so passive while this is happening, how can someone think it's good to receive 50+k Middle Eastern migrants (a lot of them are uneducated, economic migrants rather than war refugees, and they have very little understanding of European culture Cough*Mass Rape Cough* ).

I don't think the European migrants are a problem like Croats or Germans since integration is minimal, even from Less-developet (as compared to Germany/Austria) countries like Croatia, religion is not the Law and people have been influenced heavily by Western media/way of life ever since the War.

I hope you guys save Austria somehow, as I wouldn't like to see such a beutiful place being overrun by Ghettos.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2016, 04:19:33 PM by DavidB. »

Holy sh**t man, why are you Austrians so passive while this is happening, how can someone think it's good to receive 50+k Middle Eastern migrants (a lot of them are uneducated, economic migrants rather than war refugees, and they have very little understanding of European culture Cough*Mass Rape Cough* ).

I don't think the European migrants are a problem like Croats or Germans since integration is minimal, even from Less-developet (as compared to Germany/Austria) countries like Croatia, religion is not the Law and people have been influenced heavily by Western media/way of life ever since the War.

I hope you guys save Austria somehow, as I wouldn't like to see such a beutiful place being overrun by Ghettos.
Of course you're right, but saying this will instantly make you a pariah on this forum, because people don't like to hear this Wink

As for Brigittenau, Vienna's 20th district, my aunt and uncle lived there. I've been there quite often. When my aunt was repeatedly called a whore by "teenage guys" for walking on the street (without her husband) wearing a skirt, however, they considered it time to move to Burgenland.

For me it would be a very nice neighborhood to live in (excellent location, relatively affordable rents for Vienna), but I'm a single male in my twenties, so that doesn't say much... Smiley
Omega21

« Reply #207 on: February 02, 2016, 05:17:02 PM »

Of course you're right, but saying this will instantly make you a pariah on this forum, because people don't like to hear this Wink

As for Brigittenau, Vienna's 20th district, my aunt and uncle lived there. I've been there quite often. When my aunt was repeatedly called a whore by "teenage guys" for walking on the street (without her husband) wearing a skirt, however, they considered it time to move to Burgenland.

For me it would be a very nice neighborhood to live in (excellent location, relatively affordable rents for Vienna), but I'm a single male in my twenties, so that doesn't say much... Smiley

And might i guess that these teenagers are uneducated African/Middle-Eastern migrants with probably a Muslim background, seeing as only hardcore muslims are against such things?

I couldn't care less what I'm being called by people who think the best thing to do is to open up your doors and let in anyone that passes by, if they dont understand a politicians priorities are his own Country and own people (By people I also include migrants, but legal ones, workers, 2nd generation, well integrated German speaking migrants)

People need to wake up, I read about Vienna's mayor (Grandaddy Haupl) about giving free U-Bahn tickets to migrants, I mean like Wtf man, the Austrian people pay taxes so in turn they are paying for the Welfare that refugees get and they have no benefits.

The reason it bothers me so much because Wien in my opinion is the best European city, period. It's not that I haven't been to many places, I've been to Brussels, Munich, Berlin, London, Athens, Istanbul, Venice, Rome, Bucharest, Budapest and nothing for me comes close to Wien, in London I felt like i was in India, half of the stores had Indian writing and in East london it was just a Burka fest, it's like a mini Tehran in London. This is not what Europe was and what Europe should be, the same way Muslim countries stay muslim and keep their Culture Europe should do it as well.

If you (I'm reffering to all ultra lefties here) don't wake up soon you will find yourself destroyed by the Monster you created, no tolerance for the intolerant, whatever Religion, Skin tone or nationality that person is.

You continue doing this, and quickly the Democratic right you gave some people that do not deserve them, are going to be turned against you, and you will be stripped of yours. Please stop European genocide.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #208 on: February 02, 2016, 06:57:10 PM »

oh lawd
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2016, 02:13:40 AM »

A new OGM poll for the Kurier shows that SPÖ-voters and FPÖ-voters have the same level of support for a so-called "Obergrenze" (= annual upper limit for asylum seekers).

In general, 78% of Austrians favour such an upper cap for how many asylum seekers can enter the country each year (the government recently set it at 37.500 each year). 19% are opposed.

Also, 85% of Austrians say that the upper limit will be exceeded and only 10% say that it will hold.

http://kurier.at/politik/inland/sp-fp-waehler-am-meisten-fuer-obergrenze/178.664.135

PS: There were 7.000 asylum applications in Austria alone in January, up from the 4.000 last January (which then turned out to be a record year for immigration, see above).

We are heading for 100.000-130.000 asylum applications this year and the upper limit set by the government could already be reached by May ...

That is why FPÖ and ÖVP are now debating to reduce the generous welfare payments that each asylum seeker automatically receives in Austria when accepted as an "asylum seeker". That amounts to a minimum of 850€ a month (the same as an Austrian citizen on minimum pension who paid into the system for 40 years) to about 2.500€ a month for a full family of "asylum seekers" incl. wife and children. Or they simply get unemployment money (also at least 850€ a month). Currently, 25.000 asylum seekers are on the unemployment rolls - up from 10.000 last year. Mostly illiterate Afghanis, Pakistanis, Iraqis that no Austrian employer will hire because they cannot even read or write, have not even visited a year of primary school or cannot speak any German.

The SPÖ is opposed to cutting the mandatory generous welfare payments to asylum seekers, but is coming under more and more pressure because of their base voters - who are trending stronly towards the ÖVP- and FPÖ positions (see poll above). The Greens are continuing their naive policy of free handouts to illegals and others.

This is a pretty disturbing development if you ask me and ÖVP and FPÖ are right in making Austria's generous welfare system for migrants more unattractive. It should be mentioned that countries like the US are not offering any basic welfare to asylum seekers at all, while Sweden and Germany's are much lower than Austria's (850-2.500€ a month). Austria is a real welfare paradise for these illegals/economic migrants. No wonder they are coming in the thousands and not to Poland, Hungary or elsewhere where they get ... absolutely nothing.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2016, 08:38:54 AM »

First look of the Irmgard Griss 2016 campaign HQ:

Apparently, there will be a new website today as well. The current one looks horrible.

Griss has collected about 400.000€ in donations so far and has around 20 people as campaign staff, many of them students of political science.

http://derstandard.at/2000030358077/Griss-will-Wahlkampf-on-the-ground-fuehren
Omega21

« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2016, 10:14:14 AM »

One question, would Hofer be a bad president from your point of view?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2016, 10:35:15 AM »

I don't know if you asked this question specifically to Tender, but if not, maybe you'll want to hear my POV as well.

Yes, Hofer would be a bad president for me - reasons for that are many, but among a few of them there is him being a member of the FPÖ (and my personal distaste against the FPÖ has not only to do with their policies but I guess even more with their associations into certain, shall we call them dubious. corners), his associations with the Burschenschaften and thus his pandering to paleo-German-nationalistic sentiments, and lastly, some of his just hilarious views regarding to his "special portfolio" in parliament, ecological issues. A man that apparently seriously believes the various Chemtrails-conspiracies is bad enough as such, but as the highest public representative of the Republic? He would be nothing but an international disgrace.
Omega21

« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2016, 01:05:19 PM by Omega21 »

I don't know if you asked this question specifically to Tender, but if not, maybe you'll want to hear my POV as well.

Yes, Hofer would be a bad president for me - reasons for that are many, but among a few of them there is him being a member of the FPÖ (and my personal distaste against the FPÖ has not only to do with their policies but I guess even more with their associations into certain, shall we call them dubious. corners), his associations with the Burschenschaften and thus his pandering to paleo-German-nationalistic sentiments, and lastly, some of his just hilarious views regarding to his "special portfolio" in parliament, ecological issues. A man that apparently seriously believes the various Chemtrails-conspiracies is bad enough as such, but as the highest public representative of the Republic? He would be nothing but an international disgrace.

Nah man i didn't ask just Tender i meant it for anyone who knew something about him since I didn't know that much.

I don't like FPO that much either but I think they are miles ahead of SPO on their policies on the current Refugee situation, which is not to say they are good, just means that they aren't dumb enough to give the same welfare to Newcomer economic migrants and to Austrians that payed into the system for most of their life. But sadly, the SPO thinks that this is fair..

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2016, 02:04:49 PM »

There are 2 ways of how to see this:

A) Is he competent enough to serve as President ? Yes, definitely.

B) Would he be a good President for my taste ? No, for many reasons that Cranberry already mentioned. While he wouldn't be an international "disgrace" like Cranberry thinks he'd be, he's probably too controversial and unnecessarily polarizing. I'll instead vote for either Van der Bellen who is quite elder statesman-like or Griss (for becoming the first female president, if she'd for once stop meandering around certain issues).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »

The new Irmgard Griss website now looks highly professional and stylish:

https://www.griss16.at

"Independent for Austria. Irmgard Griss."

Probably better than the Van der Bellen and Hundstorfer pages, which are also not bad.

On the other hand, the Hofer page is still under construction and the Khol page is absolutely terrible. It fits the man, his age and conservatism and looks like it's from the 19th century ...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2016, 02:28:09 PM »

Someone who believes in chemtrails? This is debatable, but I wouldn't say someone like that would be competent to be the head of state of a country.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »

Someone who believes in chemtrails? This is debatable, but I wouldn't say someone like that would be competent to be the head of state of a country.

Everyone has his or her own fetish I guess ... Tongue And for Hofer, it's the chemtrails.

It's not like a believe in chemtrails would hinder his ability to host foreign guests, travel abroad and get trade deals for Austrian companies, visit some events and give speeches here and then - which is what the Austrian President usually does. Not talk about chemtrails.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »

Nah man i didn't ask just Tender i meant it for anyone who knew something about him since I didn't know that much.

I don't like FPO that much either but I think they are miles ahead of SPO on their policies on the current Refugee situation, which is not to say they are good, just means that they aren't dumb enough to give the same welfare to Newcomer economic migrants and to Austrians that payed into the system for most of their life. But sadly, the SPO thinks that this is fair..

Given President is mostly a ceremonial position, his position on refugees isn't really relevent.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »

Everyone has his or her own fetish I guess ... Tongue And for Hofer, it's the chemtrails.

It's not like a believe in chemtrails would hinder his ability to host foreign guests, travel abroad and get trade deals for Austrian companies, visit some events and give speeches here and then - which is what the Austrian President usually does. Not talk about chemtrails.

Well, since he believes in chemtrails, would he even step on a plane to travel abroad? Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: February 05, 2016, 03:44:40 AM »

Ö24/Gallup is out with a new poll - and as expected - Hofer starts to gain because of the asylum crisis, at the expense of Griss and Khol who are dropping fast. Van der Bellen is also down a bit from earlier polls, but still doing relatively well. Hundstorfer is flat.

They also have a 2nd hypothetical matchup with Richard Lugner (who's Austria's version of Trump/Berlusconi/Stronach) and he'd get 7% (mostly from Griss).

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2016, 03:51:44 AM »

I wonder how it would play out if VdB and Hofer make the runoff ...

Under normal circumstances, SPÖ/ÖVP/NEOS-voters would mostly come out and vote for VdB over Hofer, but these are no "normal" times.

Could it end like the mayoral election in Hohenems, just on a national level ?

In Hohenems, slightly before Christmas, the ÖVP-candidate lost to the FPÖ-candidate in a stunning upset - despite SPÖ/Greens/NEOS urging their voters to vote for the ÖVP-guy.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #222 on: February 05, 2016, 04:36:57 AM »

TAlfing of, who are NEOS supporting? Also are the Communists/far left bothering or are they just supporting VdB?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2016, 04:56:08 AM »

Talking of, who are NEOS supporting? Also are the Communists/far left bothering or are they just supporting VdB?

NEOS (the party) does not officially support any candidate. They said they like the "independent" candidates Van der Bellen and Griss, but didn't endorse them. Most of the NEOS voters will likely vote for either VdB (maybe 50% ?), Griss (40%) or Khol (5%) or Hundstorfer (5%).

As for the Communists/Left: They are not running a candidate on their own. But recently, former "Who wants to be a Millionaire ?"-winner and dialect author El Awadalla has announced her intention to run.

Awadalla, who said that nothing is left from the 1 million € she won, previously ran as a candidate for the leftist "Wien Anders" list in the Vienna state election. She wants to campaign for a universal basic income for all, peace & freedom, against weapons trading etc. etc.

While not supported by the KPÖ, their leader has endorsed her and her campaign. I'm not sure though if that means the KPÖ tapping into their membership lists to help her get the 6.000 signatures that are necessary to be on the ballot.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:04 AM »

I found something where Cranberry and the FPÖ totally agree on:

They both hate Miriam Weichselbraun (a hot moderator for the ORF TV-broadcaster)

http://derstandard.at/2000030447217/Blaue-Stimmung-kippt-wegen-Opernball-Entgleisung
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 81  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies