Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:36:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 189780 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: June 12, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »

[
Alberta NDP convention this weekend in Calgary.  According to Twitter, a resolution will be debated about whether the ABNDP should disaffiliate from the national party.

I really hope this passes. I'm not sure how this would work though.  According to my understanding of the Federal NDP rules, the Alberta NDP would have to change its name, and then the Federal NDP might be required to set up a new provincial Alberta NDP.

Hopefully I'm not right about the second part.  If the NDP lose the next B.C provincial election, I would hope and expect that a similar resolution would be presented at their first convention subsequent to that.

As a federal Liberal and (generally) provincial NDP supporter here in B.C, I really don't like it that only people who are members of the Federal NDP can be members of the provincial NDP.

You might argue in response 'that's just the way it goes' but I'd point out that if the NDP lose the next election, it would be five straight losses.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #451 on: June 12, 2016, 07:01:44 PM »

[
Alberta NDP convention this weekend in Calgary.  According to Twitter, a resolution will be debated about whether the ABNDP should disaffiliate from the national party.

I really hope this passes. I'm not sure how this would work though.  According to my understanding of the Federal NDP rules, the Alberta NDP would have to change its name, and then the Federal NDP might be required to set up a new provincial Alberta NDP.

Wouldn't it work similar to the BC Liberals and the Federal party?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #452 on: June 13, 2016, 04:43:10 AM »

[

Wouldn't it work similar to the BC Liberals and the Federal party?

My understanding is that the Federal NDP Constitution mandates that any provincial or civic organization affiliated with the Federal NDP, so that would include any party that uses the name "New Democrat" is automatically tied to Federal NDP rules, so that a person who wants to join the provincial NDP also has to join the federal NDP.

I was just guessing that if the Alberta NDP voted to dissociate with the Federal NDP that the Federal NDP would be obligated under its Constitution to start up a new Alberta NDP, as, for instance, there is no provincial Quebec NDP  political party.  But even if there is no such rule, I would certainly expect that left wing members of the NDP in other provinces and in Alberta would demand that the Federal NDP start a new NDP provincial party in Alberta.

I can only name one New Democrat who was a member of the Provincial NDP who was allowed to not be part of the Federal NDP.  Laurent Desjardins, a member of the legislature in Manitoba for St. Boniface was elected as a provincial Liberal, but when the NDP under Ed Schreyer won the 1969 election with 28 of 57 seats, he was allowed to join the provincial NDP and was named Minister of Health sometime in 1970 or so, while being allowed to remain a Federal Liberal.

There was also some high profile NDP candidate in Quebec in 1988 who was given a special Federal NDP only card so that he didn't have to join the Provincial Quebec NDP which at that time was a fringe party led by some fairly odd people.

I believe the Federal NDP also turned a blind eye towards Bernie Simpson here in B.C who was an MLA from 1991-1996 and who, I'm pretty sure at the time, was regarded to be a Federal Liberal supporter, which turned out to likely be accurate as he played a major role in the Sheila Copps leadership campaign when she ran against Paul Martin.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #453 on: June 13, 2016, 06:00:59 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 12:50:27 PM by RogueBeaver »

Another hostage has been executed by Abu Sayyaf. Government is aware.

Federal carbon tax being mooted by Finance.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #454 on: June 21, 2016, 05:13:16 AM »

The Trudeau government is expected to introduce changes to the taxation of medical practices with the view of avoiding physicians 'abuse' of small business taxation. So now, every accountant I know, including myself is rearranging their physician clients' affairs. This will cost money but will more or less mitigate the tax increase that the changes will bring about...

I'm starting to think Trudeau is in the pocket of the Chartered Accountants Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #455 on: June 22, 2016, 07:17:35 AM »

CPP expansion plan has been released. Relevant points:

1) CPP premium will go from 4.95% to 5.95%. Coverage will expand from 25% of pre retirement income to 33%

2) CPP coverage will expand from the first $55k of earnings to over $80k.

3) WITB will expand to compensate for premium increase and CPP premiums over $55k will be tax deductible. ORPP will be scrapped.

I like the plan personally. After the OAS debacle I was skeptical that the Liberals would produce a reasonable CPP refirm, so I'll give Trudeau credit where it's due.

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #456 on: June 22, 2016, 12:33:28 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 12:36:08 PM by Adam T »

CPP expansion plan has been released. Relevant points:

1) CPP premium will go from 4.95% to 5.95%. Coverage will expand from 25% of pre retirement income to 33%

2) CPP coverage will expand from the first $55k of earnings to over $80k.

3) WITB will expand to compensate for premium increase and CPP premiums over $55k will be tax deductible. ORPP will be scrapped.

I like the plan personally. After the OAS debacle I was skeptical that the Liberals would produce a reasonable CPP refirm, so I'll give Trudeau credit where it's due.

I'd like it if all payroll taxes that businesses pay were eliminated.  Tax the dividends or capital gains instead.

I also don't see why there needs to be payroll taxes for CPP and EI.  No other 'entitlement' is paid for by a direct tax, except for the health tax here in B.C.  Even gas taxes that are supposedly earmarked for transit projects mostly go into general revenue.

I can understand the idea for payroll taxes on workers, as it's probably best to have a broad range of taxes so as to keep each rate as low as possible.  "The art of taxation..." said the French finance minister a few hundred years ago.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #457 on: June 27, 2016, 05:26:17 AM »

3 Amigos agenda.

19 Senate vacancies will soon be filled.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #458 on: June 28, 2016, 10:30:42 AM »

3 Amigos update.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #459 on: June 29, 2016, 08:15:15 AM »

We will be sending several hundred troops to lead a NATO MNF in Latvia, and Trudeau will visit Ukraine after the NATO summit next week.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #460 on: June 29, 2016, 08:38:13 AM »

15 minute longer commute. THANKS, OBAMA.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #461 on: July 01, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »

Trudeau will visit China in September, shortly before the Hangzhou G20, and Chinese Premier Li will visit later that month.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #462 on: July 04, 2016, 12:03:46 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2016, 12:09:08 PM by RogueBeaver »

Trudeau contemplating privatizing major airports to raise infrastructure cash.

CETA still on track.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #463 on: July 04, 2016, 02:54:15 PM »

would he sell the one named after his dad?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #464 on: July 04, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »

Of course.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #465 on: July 04, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »

ALL LIBERAL ALL THE TIME
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #466 on: July 04, 2016, 11:20:49 PM »

Taking from the Wynne handbook, I see.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #467 on: July 05, 2016, 05:38:01 AM »

Alberta holding up an interprovincial trade deal.

EU slow-walking CETA at German & French request.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #468 on: July 05, 2016, 05:49:45 AM »

Trudeau Jr. is like the dream liberal, he would have taken the democratic primaries in a walk
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #469 on: July 05, 2016, 08:32:56 AM »

Meanwhile, in Australia:

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #470 on: July 05, 2016, 05:19:48 PM »

Trudeau Jr. is like the dream liberal, he would have taken the democratic primaries in a walk

He is a Conservative. A real Liberal would have booted Deepak Chopra, CEO of Canada Post, as soon he entered office. It's an union-busting, anti-equal pay, anti-customer state corporation which should have been reined in long ago (and Chopra banned from any position in government for mismanagement).
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #471 on: July 06, 2016, 12:25:12 AM »

Justin Trudeau is the dream Liberal with a capital L. Campaign as progressives, govern as technocratic centrists to keep "red Tories" satisfied, and very occasionally throw red meat to keep the NDP down.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #472 on: July 06, 2016, 05:13:06 AM »

He is a Conservative. A real Liberal would have booted Deepak Chopra, CEO of Canada Post, as soon he entered office. It's an union-busting, anti-equal pay, anti-customer state corporation which should have been reined in long ago (and Chopra banned from any position in government for mismanagement).

You sound like a lot of GOP rhetoric circa 2010
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #473 on: July 06, 2016, 06:12:47 AM »

Justin Trudeau is the dream Liberal with a capital L. Campaign as progressives, govern as technocratic centrists to keep "red Tories" satisfied, and very occasionally throw red meat to keep the NDP down.
...hence the perfect democratic candidate
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #474 on: July 09, 2016, 07:57:55 AM »

No surprises in Abacus social issue polling.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies