Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:56:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 190128 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: July 19, 2016, 04:25:36 PM »

Entire federal public service's personal info is now compromised.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #501 on: July 22, 2016, 04:58:27 AM »

NS NDP leader Gary Burrill will not run the Halifax Needham by-election and instead will run in Halifax Chebucto at the next GE. Kind of a surprise move since Halifax Needham is basically a microcosm of the NDP, there's working class bits, minorities, students, and artsy activist types all in one riding.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #502 on: July 22, 2016, 09:22:18 AM »

Internal trade as elusive as ever.

BC Grit election prep well underway.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #503 on: July 22, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »

Will we see a BC or NS election first?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #504 on: July 23, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »

BC most likely.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #505 on: July 23, 2016, 03:47:22 PM »

I don't see either provincial government as calling an early election. However if one did it probably would be Nova Scotia.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #506 on: July 27, 2016, 09:11:19 AM »

Tootoo won't be readmitted to caucus despite finishing rehab. Wonder what else there is to this story.

Government wants a FDI-fuelled IT boom, a modern successor to Howe's postwar boom.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be visiting this fall.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #507 on: July 28, 2016, 06:48:50 AM »

Tootoo was expelled from caucus due to allegations of an inappropriate relationship with a junior staffer.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #508 on: August 02, 2016, 07:29:22 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2016, 09:22:05 AM by RogueBeaver »

New Supreme Court nomination process: a 7-member advisory panel chaired by Kim Campbell will make recommendations, and Trudeau will choose from that list.

Q2 fundraising # in: $5.1M/$4.9M/$1.1M.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #509 on: August 06, 2016, 06:23:05 AM »

Mel Hurtig has died
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #510 on: August 06, 2016, 06:39:48 AM »

Wells on a potential debate commission.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #511 on: August 07, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »

So, I volunteered at the Liberal tent at a Korean heritage festival in Burnaby South yesterday. I had a decent time, but I have to say that I completely underestimated a certain phenomenon at play in federal election politics today. An old lady—a frequent volunteer for the party—pointed it out and I scoffed because I thought it was kind of an insulting way to think of female voters, but through the day it proved to be surprisingly insightful: Women really, legitimately swoon over Justin Trudeau. And the Liberal Party knows it, so virtually all of their branding goes heavy on using his name and picture.

We gave out gigantic posters of his face, little post cards of his face, buttons with his face on them... and women would come and get so giddy and take everything. They took photos with the large sign panel of Trudeau. It's astounding to me. And sadly, I highly doubt they could have told me much of anything about his policies.

Is it a big factor? I don't know. But Trudeau has an image that will be very, very difficult to tarnish, especially now that he has the incumbency on his side. The whole thing put a very sour taste in my mouth. And although I will probably vote Liberal in the next election, I continue to be, uh... not the biggest fan of the Prime Minister. It was great to see him and his perfect family at Pride last weekend, but I can't get over some things about the guy and how his image has been constructed and received.

But I remain convinced that he could literally be the prime minister for decades.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #512 on: August 07, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »

Twitter has been going crazy with shirtless pics of Trudeau on vacation.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #513 on: August 08, 2016, 12:45:02 PM »

To be fair, there are a few female politicians that I have swooned over in the past, even Conservative ones (e.g. Helena Guergis).
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #514 on: August 08, 2016, 11:56:17 PM »

So, I volunteered at the Liberal tent at a Korean heritage festival in Burnaby South yesterday. I had a decent time, but I have to say that I completely underestimated a certain phenomenon at play in federal election politics today. An old lady—a frequent volunteer for the party—pointed it out and I scoffed because I thought it was kind of an insulting way to think of female voters, but through the day it proved to be surprisingly insightful: Women really, legitimately swoon over Justin Trudeau. And the Liberal Party knows it, so virtually all of their branding goes heavy on using his name and picture.

We gave out gigantic posters of his face, little post cards of his face, buttons with his face on them... and women would come and get so giddy and take everything. They took photos with the large sign panel of Trudeau. It's astounding to me. And sadly, I highly doubt they could have told me much of anything about his policies.

Is it a big factor? I don't know. But Trudeau has an image that will be very, very difficult to tarnish, especially now that he has the incumbency on his side. The whole thing put a very sour taste in my mouth. And although I will probably vote Liberal in the next election, I continue to be, uh... not the biggest fan of the Prime Minister. It was great to see him and his perfect family at Pride last weekend, but I can't get over some things about the guy and how his image has been constructed and received.

But I remain convinced that he could literally be the prime minister for decades.

Care to expand? Is it that he essentially went from night club bouncer to Prime Minister?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #515 on: August 09, 2016, 06:09:11 AM »

However, that is a bit of a stretch. The stuff you describe tends to wear of fairly quickly as incumbency and your record begins to weigh down on you.

This is true. Dynasties and Interludes has a great account of Trudeaumania 1.0. Trudeau Sr. cruised to victory in 1968, but by 1972 surveys had begun to describe him as arrogant and he nearly lost re-election. By the late 1970's that reputation had been firmly cemented.

Although the fundamentals are extremely sound for the Liberal Party right now, and they will probably win re-election next time, it is conceivable that Justin Trudeau could screw up and have a shorter term in office than Stephen Harper. Suppose we have nasty recession in 2018-2019 and Trudeau makes some off the cuff remarks that come off as uncaring and arrogant. It's not that difficult to imagine especially in Canadian politics.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #516 on: August 09, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2016, 12:05:30 PM by RogueBeaver »

Depends if Justin can consolidate the left while keeping the centre. What Hagrid is describing is Grit Inc., when there was no opposition to speak of inside or outside Parliament till 1945, and a mostly useless one thereafter. (Put another way, do you think he's a political genius like King?) He'll definitely win in 2019, beyond that depends on the economy and remaining scandal-free.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #517 on: August 09, 2016, 01:54:31 PM »

Depends if Justin can consolidate the left while keeping the centre. What Hagrid is describing is Grit Inc., when there was no opposition to speak of inside or outside Parliament till 1945, and a mostly useless one thereafter. (Put another way, do you think he's a political genius like King?) He'll definitely win in 2019, beyond that depends on the economy and remaining scandal-free.
His reign as Pm will probably last as long as he has CBC and other major news networks on his jock, his image is doing more for the liberals than any policy or program ever could, if he loses that he could be done very quickly
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #518 on: August 09, 2016, 11:46:59 PM »

I think it's important to know that Justin hasn't just been camping shirtless and abusing MPs, he has gotten things done that were in the Liberal platform.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #519 on: August 10, 2016, 12:54:10 AM »

I think it's important to know that Justin hasn't just been camping shirtless and abusing MPs, he has gotten things done that were in the Liberal platform.
Yeah but the way CBC fawns over him is similar to how Russia today  covers Putin lol
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #520 on: August 10, 2016, 01:07:00 AM »

Yeah but the way CBC fawns over him is similar to how Russia today  covers Putin lol

Please leave.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #521 on: August 10, 2016, 01:08:16 AM »

Please leave.
It's a hyperbole lol
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #522 on: August 10, 2016, 03:24:08 AM »

Please leave.
It's a hyperbole lol
Still, please show yourself out of this thread.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #523 on: August 10, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »

While it is very likely he'll win re-election in 2020, nothing is certain in Canadian politics, so I would be very cautious about making bold predictions.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #524 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:54 PM »

Planned ISIS suicide bombing of a major city was thwarted by security services.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies