Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:34:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 188646 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: August 22, 2016, 07:02:51 AM »

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will tour BC/Yukon the last week of September.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #551 on: August 22, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »

Not really politics (though Trudeau was there) but the Tragically Hip's final concert was quite....lovely?  Didn't quite realize how popular the band was up there.

It was very touching. Was nearly in tears. How do you know about them? From what I gather they aren't well known in the US.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #552 on: August 22, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »

May is staying as leader.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #553 on: August 22, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »

Not really politics (though Trudeau was there) but the Tragically Hip's final concert was quite....lovely?  Didn't quite realize how popular the band was up there.

It was very touching. Was nearly in tears. How do you know about them? From what I gather they aren't well known in the US.

Well, I've lived in New Orleans for some time now and they wrote one song that wasn't about Canada.  Actually saw them play in New Orleans back in the early 90s.  Can't say that I had kept up with them over the years, but I started seeing stories about Gordon and his cancer and the final show, so I tuned in.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #554 on: August 23, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »

Elsie Wayne has died. RIP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #555 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:03 AM »

Well, I've lived in New Orleans for some time now and they wrote one song that wasn't about Canada.  Actually saw them play in New Orleans back in the early 90s.  Can't say that I had kept up with them over the years, but I started seeing stories about Gordon and his cancer and the final show, so I tuned in.

Interesting; how many people were there?

Oh wow. RIP
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #556 on: August 23, 2016, 10:45:39 AM »

Interesting; how many people were there?

It was in a decent sized open venue (no seating).  I think House of Blues though it could have been Tipitina's.  Not packed but full, maybe 400 people.    "New Orleans is Sinking" would get radio airplay locally long after it came out and this was well after it had been released, but it was still the centerpiece of the show, they played a much longer jammed out version.  I know they came back thru town after Katrina, but I didn't see that show.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #557 on: August 24, 2016, 12:29:33 PM »

Amusing FCO 80s dispatches on leading political personalities. Agree with most of them.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #558 on: August 24, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »

Richard Hatfield: "very much a bachelor".  I suppose it was common knowledge what this was code for? Cheesy
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #559 on: August 25, 2016, 06:36:53 AM »

O'Malley and Hebert on electoral reform.

Trudeau's top choice for ambassador to Beijing has declined.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #560 on: August 26, 2016, 06:35:01 AM »

Crossposted for obvious reasons: Harper is leaving politics today.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #561 on: August 26, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »

Trudeau delivers speech to largest private sector union in Canada.

In the transcript of the speech, Trudeau capitalizes the word "Labour", as if it were a formal organization (ex. party), rather than a movement (ex. labour movement) or noun/verb.

Could a rebranding of the Liberal party be in the works? (Perhaps a "Labour Party of Canada)?

Dear god no... right?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #562 on: August 26, 2016, 07:10:27 PM »

No, that's just a strategic move to keep the NDP down. Grits have been doing this with social democratic third parties for nearly a century, it ain't new. Most recently, Paul Martin campaigned with then CAW-chief Buzz Hargrove in 2004/6.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #563 on: August 27, 2016, 03:53:09 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2016, 03:54:50 PM by Хahar »

No, that's just a strategic move to keep the NDP down. Grits have been doing this with social democratic third parties for nearly a century, it ain't new. Most recently, Paul Martin campaigned with then CAW-chief Buzz Hargrove in 2004/6.

It's not just the union speech, it's Trudeau capitalizing "Labour" throughout his speech, as well as making Liberal party membership free and stating he wants to transform the party into a "movement".

It can only be a movement if it becomes the "Labour" party (ie: the Labour movement).

At least that's what has happened in Britain, Australia and New Zealand.

That has happened in exactly none of those places. In Australia and New Zealand the liberal party (that is to say, the pro-free trade party) merged with the conservative party (that is to say, the anti-free trade party), while in Britain the liberal party was reduced to third-party status.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #564 on: August 27, 2016, 07:58:50 PM »

NYT on Beijing's attempts to manipulate the Chinese community.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #565 on: August 27, 2016, 09:57:19 PM »

It's not just the union speech, it's Trudeau capitalizing "Labour" throughout his speech, as well as making Liberal party membership free and stating he wants to transform the party into a "movement".

It can only be a movement if it becomes the "Labour" party (ie: the Labour movement).

That would make no sense.  They're riding high right now, why rock the boat?  Canada already has a Social Democratic Party, and they've already poached most of the votes from them that they can.  It would be a dumb move.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #566 on: August 28, 2016, 06:33:59 AM »

That would make no sense.  They're riding high right now, why rock the boat?  Canada already has a Social Democratic Party, and they've already poached most of the votes from them that they can.  It would be a dumb move.

This. If they tried to take the NDP's remaining 10-15% support, they'd lose just as much, if not more to the Tories.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #567 on: August 28, 2016, 07:54:56 AM »

No one will be naming their party "labour" in the 21st century (let alone a neo-liberal one). Sorry, comrades.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #568 on: August 30, 2016, 05:53:45 AM »

Hugh Segal has issued his guaranteed minimum income report.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #569 on: August 30, 2016, 05:33:17 PM »

Canada Post strike action averted.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #570 on: August 31, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »

"Strike" action. Right-wing hackiness, a lock-out was more likely.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #571 on: September 01, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »

The PBO confirms the effects of inflation on the new Canada Child Benefit. The Liberals won't index until 2020, largely because its f[inks]ing expensive.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #572 on: September 02, 2016, 12:25:48 AM »

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/09/01/patrick-browns-sex-ed-snafu-dominates-scarborough-byelection.html

God isn't done with Canada yet. Smiley
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #573 on: September 02, 2016, 07:08:02 AM »

Wells thinks the electoral reform process will collapse and government backs off.

DND HQ cost $1B, security not up to IC standards.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #574 on: September 03, 2016, 01:18:50 AM »

Can somebody give a quick-and-simple rundown of Wynne's sex ed curriculum and why it's so disliked?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies