Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:45:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 189802 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: January 31, 2017, 06:07:47 PM »

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status/826558392923721729

Katie Purchase has written to Fox News demanding the take down the tweet that is still up, that says the Moroccan Muslim shot the mosque. I'm proud of the government's response and they should be ready to sue Fox News pants off if they don't comply.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #801 on: February 01, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »

ELECTORAL "REFORM" IS DEAD!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #802 on: February 01, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »

Great news. Canada survives for a few more years, at least.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #803 on: February 01, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »

Eh, can't even be bothered to make a snarky remark about Trudeau on this one. Meh.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #804 on: February 01, 2017, 05:46:38 PM »

Goddamit Bieber.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #805 on: February 01, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »

U.S democracy doesn't though with the election of Trump.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #806 on: February 08, 2017, 11:46:48 PM »

In a Longueuil Internet media, NDP Pierre Nantel answered he would be interested in switching to provincial politics. The writer says it would be for the PQ and replacing Martine Ouellet in Vachon could be a possibility. There is no quote from the MP talking about party though.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #807 on: February 09, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »

Justin will meet Trump in DC on Monday.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #808 on: February 11, 2017, 07:10:37 AM »

Here are some interesting charts from MacLean's about Quebec, ROC and the USA's attitudes towards civil liberties.

ROC is pretty well in line with the USA, with the exception of banning headscarfs. Quebec is the outlier of course.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #809 on: February 11, 2017, 07:59:24 AM »

That would be a great chart to stick in instinctive America bashers' faces.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #810 on: February 11, 2017, 09:09:44 AM »

Quite so, although it wold confirm the biases of our instinctive Quebec bashers Tongue

The mosque monitoring and headscarf bans are particularly worrying. How on earth can we claim to be 'progressive' and want to monitor minority religions and tell them what to wear?!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #811 on: February 11, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »

Quite so, although it wold confirm the biases of our instinctive Quebec bashers Tongue

The mosque monitoring and headscarf bans are particularly worrying. How on earth can we claim to be 'progressive' and want to monitor minority religions and tell them what to wear?!
Those are extremely encouraging statistics for me. Perhaps Canada is not gone just yet.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #812 on: February 11, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »

Tbh I think the regions most ripe for seizure by the populist right is the Atlantic provinces imo.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #813 on: February 11, 2017, 03:46:08 PM »

Calling the average Quebecois "progressive" is most likely the mistake.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #814 on: February 11, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »

Calling the average Quebecois "progressive" is most likely the mistake.

Left populist?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #815 on: February 11, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »

Tbh I think the regions most ripe for seizure by the populist right is the Atlantic provinces imo.
Didn't that already happen in Toronto though Tongue
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #816 on: February 11, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »

About a year ago in this thread, I asked what Trudeau and his party campaigned on, what they wanted to accomplish, what the Canadian people were demanding.

What is the status of it all now?

(I vaguely remember some form of electoral reform that people thought was shaky even then, some infrastructure/environmental work with a small price-tag, a small budget deficit being reduced, and something about First/Native Americans)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #817 on: February 11, 2017, 06:59:44 PM »

About a year ago in this thread, I asked what Trudeau and his party campaigned on, what they wanted to accomplish, what the Canadian people were demanding.

(I vaguely remember some form of electoral reform that people thought was shaky even then, some infrastructure/environmental work with a small price-tag, a small budget deficit being reduced, and something about First/Native Americans)

TrudeauMeter is your friend. Deficits are gargantuan for the foreseeable future, Harper's GHG targets have been adopted and a federal carbon tax is coming. Aboriginal issues - inquiry into missing & murdered women (MMIW) held but otherwise not a yuge change from Harper, despite a better tone. Electoral reform is dead.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #818 on: February 11, 2017, 08:15:37 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2017, 08:18:38 PM by Blue3 »

TrudeauMeter is your friend. Deficits are gargantuan for the foreseeable future, Harper's GHG targets have been adopted and a federal carbon tax is coming. Aboriginal issues - inquiry into missing & murdered women (MMIW) held but otherwise not a yuge change from Harper, despite a better tone. Electoral reform is dead.

Thanks.

Though are those items I listed the "big promises"? Did I miss any "big promises"?
(223 is a lot to scroll through Tongue )
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #819 on: February 12, 2017, 06:51:40 AM »

Interesting take. Could you elaborate? I'm a bit skeptical given the total flop by right wing populists in the past here.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #820 on: February 12, 2017, 09:00:24 AM »

Good for Ambrose.

I love how Forum tries to spin a 416 tie as good news for Wynne. Last poll that had similar 416 # also had Brown +19 provincewide. Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #821 on: February 14, 2017, 06:09:08 AM »

I love how Forum tries to spin a 416 tie as good news for Wynne. Last poll that had similar 416 # also had Brown +19 provincewide. Tongue

Why are pollsters so foolish when it comes to electoral commentary? Hatman is literally the only person I've heard who both works for a polling firm and understands political geography well.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #822 on: February 14, 2017, 06:24:06 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2017, 06:37:03 AM by Adam T »

Thanks.

Though are those items I listed the "big promises"? Did I miss any "big promises"?
(223 is a lot to scroll through Tongue )

Kept the promise to make the Senate independent by forming an independent commission to choose the people to appoint.

Kept the promise on the (upper) middle class tax cut.

Brought in a new expanded child benefit that rolled some of the existing benefits into this one and eliminated others.  According to the Liberals, 90% of families will receive higher benefits.

Did away with the muzzle on government scientists and brought back the long form census.

Approved the Kinder Morgan Pipeline.

Also brought in a new law on assisted death after being mandated by the Supreme Court.

Prime Minister Trudeau has broken some promises and breaking the promise on electoral reform was pretty brazen, but overall I'd say this government is a major improvement in policy and tone and has significantly reduced the harshness and hyper partisanship from the Harper Conservative government. Not only is there no noxious person in the cabinet like Pierre Polievre but, in general, I'd say that the Liberal cabinet ministers are far more intelligent than the previous Conservatives.  

The overwhelmingly conservative mainstream Canadian media (at least in terms of the major editorials) has had to whine, for instance, that Justin Trudeau's line at some foreign event of "Canada is back" was nothing more than a boast of "The Liberals are back in power" when what Trudeau clearly meant was that Canada was going to engage in such things as climate change commitments and assisting the United Nations rather than taking disparaging shots at it after not getting a seat back on the Security Counsel.

Also, there will almost certainly not going to be a federal carbon tax as 8 of the 10 provinces and the three  territories already have or will have their own systems in place (either a carbon tax or cap and trade.)  We'll see what happens if Saskatchewan and/or Manitoba hold out (unless the Conservatives win the 2019 election), but I can't imagine whoever the Premiers of those provinces are by then would want to face the wrath of the other Premiers by forcing a national carbon tax.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #823 on: February 14, 2017, 02:26:43 PM »

Why are pollsters so foolish when it comes to electoral commentary? Hatman is literally the only person I've heard who both works for a polling firm and understands political geography well.

Thanks Smiley

But a lot of professional pundits don't know anything about political geography, so it's par for the course.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #824 on: February 14, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »

Thanks Smiley

But a lot of professional pundits don't know anything about political geography, so it's par for the course.

Yes, that was odd reporting by Forum, something like "If the Conservatives want to form a majority government they need to be doing better than a tie in the city of Toronto."

How much can the Tories lose in the Toronto and still form a majority government?  Obviously the numbers can't be calculated in isolation, but my guess would be around by around 10%
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies