Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:36:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 190376 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: December 11, 2015, 10:47:56 PM »

So people are threatening to kill Rachel Notley.

I'm pretty pissed off at this. Hoping the RCMP takes names and rounds up these people and makes an example of them.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »

Apparently some rednecks think it is LITERALLY genocide.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »

Apparently some rednecks think it is LITERALLY genocide.

Essentially, family farmers were concerned that the implementation of the rules would threaten the viability of their farms, and they were highly annoyed by the lack of consultation from the government and the government's refusal to delay passing the bill until after the legislature's winter break. 

In other words, genocide.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/police-likely-to-investigate-death-threats-against-rachel-notley-security-expert-says-1.3362620?cmp=rss

It doesn't matter if these people are just "howlers" as law enforcement puts it, they should be made an example of. There should be ZERO TOLERANCE for death threats against public figures.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:34:44 AM »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/police-likely-to-investigate-death-threats-against-rachel-notley-security-expert-says-1.3362620?cmp=rss

It doesn't matter if these people are just "howlers" as law enforcement puts it, they should be made an example of. There should be ZERO TOLERANCE for death threats against public figures.

We should probably set up a rotation to visit Hash in Kingston Pen then...

As much as Hash hated Harper, I do not recall any death threats.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 07:59:47 AM »

We should probably set up a rotation to visit Hash in Kingston Pen then...

As much as Hash hated Harper, I do not recall any death threats.

He once made a joke about how Mike Harris be cooked in an oven. Not anywhere close to a death threat, but some people don't understand hyperbole...

This would have been after he was Premier, so not as treasonous.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »

Until the NDP can get a Corbyn or a Sanders type to replace Mulair, they will have to hold their noses a keep him.

The problem for the NDP is that the Liberals have shifted to the left in their attempts to prevent the right-drifting NDP from winning. It worked, so the NDP will have to go to the left in their rhetoric. It won't necessarily win them an election, but it will get some much needed momentum behind them, enough to be able to play king maker in a minority government if we ever get proportional representation.

Hopefully for the NDP's sake, the Liberal's will do as they always do, and govern on the right (no indication of this yet), and so won't have to go too far to the left in the next campaign.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »

If they run a left wing populist campaign, they would get more than 15% of the vote. If Corbyn and Sanders can do it...

Of course, if they just run a boring old school NDP campaign, then yes, expect the same results as the in the 1990s.

Such a populist approach is untested in modern Canadian politics, so don't trust my polling expertise on this one. I'm just observing what's going on in the rest of the Anglosphere.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 12:33:34 PM »

Being a left wing populist in the 1980s is a big difference than being a left wing populist in the 2010s.

Anyways, let's not forget that my point is that running a left wing populist campaign will not win the NDP the next election, it will just save them from irrelevancy. Running as "Liberal lite" will have to wait until the actual Liberals become unpopular again.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »

The NDP should buy a house somewhere in Ottawa for use of future leaders. Call it Douglas House or something.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »

The Liberals are going to drive this country bankrupt in their attempt to out left the NDP.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 08:09:30 AM »

For the record, I am divided about getting rid of Mulcair. On paper he should go, but who replaces him?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »

For the record, I am divided about getting rid of Mulcair. On paper he should go, but who replaces him?

If I was in the NDP, I would vote to keep him.

Mulcair was hampered by the public's perceptions of the two progressive parties. Similar to how it took Nixon to go to China, it took the Liberals to take a step to the left. The NDP simply didn't have the same fiscal credibility to pull off what Trudeau did.

Very true, but it's very clear the NDP needs to tack left now if they want to differentiate themselves from the Liberals. Going to the centre is all well and good when the Liberals are in third, but there's no room there now. I doubt Mulcair can pull the party to the left, but who will?

My guess is Mulcair gets about a 60% approval and is forced to step down.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 05:52:57 PM »

MacLaren being a nutjob is not a new thing. I remember hearing a story from my university days of a professor railing on about him, only to find out that MacLaren's son was in the class!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 04:21:11 PM »

You can watch the NDP convention here: http://www.cpac.ca/en/ndp-convention/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 06:53:12 AM »

But I guess it fits a certain narrative about the NDP to have a bunch of radical leftists fighting the leadership.

It's Canada, all media do what the Liberal spinroom tells them to say.

Just like in the US, except replace Liberal with Clinton Tongue

If I were him, seeing the number of ex-caucus members or current not supporting me, I would exit the party as quickly as possible if I had another interesting job opportunity.

Maybe he'd become a Conservative, he already tried being a Liberal.

The Review is tomorrow, right?

Tomorrow (Sunday) morning. Or afternoon I guess, given the time change.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 09:59:23 AM »

The large Alberta delegation may just help Mulcair. Though, they many could be hippies from Strathcona, so who knows...

I have watched some convention activity on tv and I'm not used to people refering to others as brother or sister. It was a bit weird.

That's leftist politics for you Cheesy

There are a lot of weird things going on at NDP conventions.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »

Mulcair was on the left of the PLQ, but it is generally a centre to centre right party (or has been since the 1990s). People on the left in Quebec tend to vote PQ or QS unless they are federalists. Mulcair represented a fairly federalist riding when he was an MNA.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »

QP panel and Althia Raj seem rather down on Mulcair's prospects, though I'll only believe he flunks if seen. Last time I saw a leadership review go sour was Landry in '05.

Of course he is going to fail. Will get somewhere in the 60s. Willing to change my opinion after speech though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »

The brouhaha over the leap manifesto is overrated. Nobody will be talking about it next election.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 12:23:54 PM »

Speech wasn't that convincing. It may have swayed a few people, but I suspect he still gets less than 70%.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 01:43:10 PM »

Results for the NDP Convention leadership vote expected by 12

Pacific time?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »

Wow... I knew he'd be forced out, but he couldn't even win a majority? Huge shocker.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 02:17:52 PM »

The NDP has a lot of problems. Hopefully this will fix some of them, but I wouldn't count on it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »

The NDP has a lot of problems. Hopefully this will fix some of them, but I wouldn't count on it.

We're probably going to get a useless and incompetent leader who can't debate or talk about public policy like an adult. I'm betting on Nikki Ashton.

Yeah, my worry about all of this is who will replace Mulcair. Ashton could be a disaster. Doubt she would win though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies