Scalia: it's probably time to say goodbye to the Death Penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:34:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Scalia: it's probably time to say goodbye to the Death Penalty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Scalia: it's probably time to say goodbye to the Death Penalty  (Read 5511 times)
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 04:15:10 AM »

Meh', I support the death penalty would really like it to be kept.

Then don't you call yourself "pro-life" ever again.

Serial killers, rapists, and the worst scum of the earth DONT deserve to live. The death penalty should be used much more often and much quicker, just put a bullet in the back of the serial killers head. That simple.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 04:49:40 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 03:12:08 AM by Intell »

Because the life of murderer, serial rapist and terrorist are the same as a life of an innocent baby. If you sincerely believe that you're dumb. (We have a SJW police I guess).
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »

The death penalty needs to be abolished ASAP. Nobody has the right to kill another person except in self-defense or in defense of someone else. If you're in a position where you can apply the death penalty to someone, they're not in a position where they can hurt anyone else anymore.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »

the fake moral outrage on this issue is pathetic. If you are pro-choice and support protecting murderers and terrorists, then your priorities are really messed up.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 02:11:11 PM »

I really hate it when the argument is 'YOU CAN'T BE PRO LIFE AND PRO DEATH PENALTY'........it's so weak.

I can see the difference between a fetus growing into a baby and a mass murderer........but I'm a cold hearted prick.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »

If the death penalty had ever been shown to be a deterrent, you might have a point, and the pro-life moniker might then apply. But it's never been shown to be a deterrent, which means that there's no real pro-life argument to be made on behalf of the death penalty.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 02:14:37 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:39:52 AM by Ernestman »

Because the life of murderer, serial rapist and terrorist are the same as a life of an innocent baby. If you sincerely believe that you're oversimplifying.

Yes, they are equal. All lives are beautiful in the eyes of God, and each deserves the chance to make the most of their only time on earth, which includes the chance of redemption.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:40:17 AM by Ernestman »

Because the life of murderer, serial rapist and terrorist are the same as a life of an innocent baby. If you sincerely believe that you're oversimplifying.

Yes, they are equal. All lives are beautiful in the eyes of God, and each deserves the chance to make the most of their only time on earth, which includes the chance of redemption.

God can forgive the murderer......we don't have to.  
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2015, 02:22:34 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:40:46 AM by Ernestman »

God can forgive the murderer......we don't have to.  

Except we're interfering with that process by presumption. God forgives those who seek His forgiveness. Killing someone may prematurely end their ability to do so. It also enables the victims to choose sinful vengeance over forgiveness and mercy.

Oh, and Parable of the Tares and all that.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »

Sounds like he's just whining because it's about to go away despite his best efforts to keep murdering the mentally handicapped and innocent in Texas.

I'm against the death penalty but I don't really get why it's more wrong to execute stupid people than people in general?

The idea is, I believe, that they are less in control of themselves and therefore less responsible for their actions. Look into Atkins v. Virginia for more.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2015, 07:04:34 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:47:33 AM by Ernestman »

But what if you believe, that if you have taken a life of another person, that you've taken away you're chance to be equal in the human world. I just don't care about a person who has ruined a person's life or taken their lives directly and I believe they deserve to die, god can forgive them of course.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2015, 07:11:56 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:56:27 AM by Ernestman »

The point of being pro-life is protecting life from conception to natural death. There is nothing "natural" about government-sanctioned killing. The death penalty is about revenge, anger and overreaching and inefficient government. It's time to end it.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2015, 10:42:51 PM »

Because the life of murderer, serial rapist and terrorist are the same as a life of an innocent baby. If you sincerely believe that you're a retard.

But what if you believe, that if you have taken a life of another person, that you've taken away you're chance to be equal in the human world. I just don't care about a person who has ruined a person's life or taken their lives directly and I believe they deserve to die, god can forgive them of course.

I completely agree that we ought to give convicted murders a chance at redemption if possible and that their lives are of equal value (I am against the death penalty), but there is still an objective difference between killing an innocent person and a guilty person. While I do believe we ought to ban capital punishment I agree with Gramps that the 'You can't be pro life and pro death penalty' is ridiculous and probably counterproductive to both causes (of course taking the phrase 'pro life' as a reference to abortion; trying to give it an alternative definition in American discourse is about as intellectually honest as taking 'pro choice' as a reference to homeschooling laws).
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 10:51:29 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:55:44 AM by Ernestman »

I completely agree that we ought to give convicted murders a chance at redemption if possible and that their lives are of equal value (I am against the death penalty),  

People like John Wayne Gacy don't deserve a second chance. Take Gacy and everyother cold-blooded killer out to the backyard and fill them up with led.

Another thing I don't get is how liberals can support the killing of innocent babies through abortion but get angry when disgusting monsters get theirs.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2015, 10:55:08 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:54:53 AM by Ernestman »

I completely agree that we ought to give convicted murders a chance at redemption if possible and that their lives are of equal value (I am against the death penalty),  

People like John Wayne Gacy don't deserve a second chance. Take Gacy and everyother cold-blooded killer out to the backyard and fill them up with led.

Another thing I don't get is how liberals can support the killing of innocent babies through abortion but get angry when disgusting monsters get theirs.

Deserves? That's a different question than whether or not we ought to give it to him. I take the Tolkien approach:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2015, 10:57:49 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:54:12 AM by Ernestman »

Deserves? That's a different question than whether or not we ought to give it to him. I take the Tolkien approach:

By that logic if we capture Osama Bin Laden we shouldint kill him. I can tell your a moral person but theirs people that are so evil they don't deserve to live.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »

There were many, many people who protested the killing of Osama bin Laden, who wanted him captured instead.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 11:11:17 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:53:30 AM by Ernestman »

By that logic if we capture Osama Bin Laden we shouldint kill him. I can tell your a moral person but theirs people that are so evil they don't deserve to live.

If we captured Osama Bin Laden without resistance and we could hold him indefinitely, then yes it would be wrong for us to kill him. It doesn't matter what he deserves; life isn't fair. It matters that he is human and his life still has value whether he deserves it or not. To kill a man locked in prison after surrendering and who isn't any longer a threat, is simply revenge. I am loathe to quite call it murder but we ought not bring that upon ourselves.

Of course situations where the person poses a legitimate threat to the safety of others is a totally different ballgame. In Bin Laden's case, we ought to keep him alive if the situation presented itself but not risk anyone else's life unnecessarily to avoid killing him. The latter is not an irrelevant factor in a war.
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 11:17:34 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 01:52:35 AM by Ernestman »

then yes it would be wrong for us to kill him. It doesn't matter what he deserves; life isn't fair. It matters that he is human and his life still has value whether he deserves it or not.

Than why keep him alive? what value does his life have? Someone like that has no value.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »

then yes it would be wrong for us to kill him. It doesn't matter what he deserves; life isn't fair. It matters that he is human and his life still has value whether he deserves it or not.

Than why keep him alive? what value does his life have? Someone like that has no value.

The value of a man's life is not contigent upon what that man can do for you or what contribution he can make to the GDP or taxation, etc. The reason why his life would have value is because he is a person, which is fundamentally the same reason why all human life has value. Now, sure, one can argue that human life does not have objective value, but I suspect he will find that philosophy rather ugly if considered honestly. Indeed, if human life does not have value after all, there would be much less reason to want to kill Osama Bin Laden in the first place.
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 01:27:11 AM »

The value of a man's life is not contigent upon what that man can do for you or what contribution he can make to the GDP or taxation, etc. The reason why his life would have value is because he is a person, which is fundamentally the same reason why all human life has value. Now, sure, one can argue that human life does not have objective value, but I suspect he will find that philosophy rather ugly if considered honestly. Indeed, if human life does not have value after all, there would be much less reason to want to kill Osama Bin Laden in the first place.

I think when you commit a act that evil like Bin Laden you have no humanity and you deserve to die. But also don't you think the pyschopaths/serial killers arint human. Theirs definitly something going on with them man look at every pyschopath/mass murderer they all look the same and have that same dead look in their eye.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 01:31:05 AM »

I think when you commit a act that evil like Bin Laden you have no humanity and you deserve to die. But also don't you think the pyschopaths/serial killers arint human. Theirs definitly something going on with them man look at every pyschopath/mass murderer they all look the same and have that same dead look in their eye.

Plenty of people 'have a dead look in their eyes'. Amazingly, people who 'have a dead look in their eyes' are still people.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 08:52:22 AM »

This conversation has gotten less than productive.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 10:15:47 AM »

Killing people with a dead look in the eyes would probably cover about half of Atlas's population.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 01:29:30 PM »

The point of being pro-life is protecting life from conception to natural death. There is nothing "natural" about government-sanctioned killing. The death penalty is about revenge, anger and overreaching and inefficient government. It's time to end it.
I completely agree with you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies