Do "white ethnics" exist in 2015?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:35:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do "white ethnics" exist in 2015?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do "white ethnics" exist in 2015?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Do "white ethnics" exist in 2015?  (Read 2280 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »

I think the answer is clearly no. Unless you want to argue as traininthedistance did that some Hispanics could be considered "white ethnic", but other than that no.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »

um... around here there are lots of white immigrants from SE and Eastern Europe and Russia.  They are definitely "ethnic" and they are definitely "white".

Unless your argument is literally "if you're white you have no ethnicity" which I wouldn't be surprised...
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »

They're rare but still exist. Italians, Russians, Serbs/Bosnians, and Portuguese are notable.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 08:03:48 PM »

Unless your argument is literally "if you're white you have no ethnicity" which I wouldn't be surprised...

Let's be honest, in our state that basically is true. Where are the heavily Scandinavian or heavily German neighborhoods or suburbs in the Twin Cities?
Col. Roosevelt
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »

Are Russians and other Eastern Europeans suddenly not white? Where I live, they're certainly ethnic. There's also a lot of culturally/ethnically Italian Americans left where I live, as well. So yes. The idea of whiteness as some monolithic racial block is a pretty stupid one. There is no monolithic "white race" in the sense that either white nationalists see it or anti-white SJWs view it. I consider "Hispanics" in most cases to be "white" as well. There's a great variety of differences between the peoples of European descent, though, to say, yes, there are, and probably always will be "white ethnics."
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »

Is there not a large Bosniak population in the US? Not to mention places like Howard Beach.

Let's be honest, in our state that basically is true. Where are the heavily Scandinavian or heavily German neighborhoods or suburbs in the Twin Cities?

What about St. Louis Park? I suppose it depends on what your definition of white is and such, but still.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 09:49:32 PM »

There's actually still some Polish people in North East Minneapolis. I used to go to a Church there where they had Mass in Polish.

Of course, that population is aging/dying.

For the most part, there are no White ethnics anymore outside New York, New Jersey, Boston, and Philly.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:21 PM »

Yes, in several senses.

There are some white people who see themselves as being part of a specific ethnic community, be it Polish, Italian, whatever. My family's Estonian-American, as is much of their social circle, so I probably fall in this category.

There are also some people who see whites as an ethnic group worthy of identity politics; the kind who ask why there's no white congressional caucus. I don't think that's an appropriate approach, but some people do feel that way.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »

Yes, in several senses.

There are some white people who see themselves as being part of a specific ethnic community, be it Polish, Italian, whatever. My family's Estonian-American, as is much of their social circle, so I probably fall in this category.

There are also some people who see whites as an ethnic group worthy of identity politics; the kind who ask why there's no white congressional caucus. I don't think that's an appropriate approach, but some people do feel that way.

The whites in Congress already have an unofficial caucus (no, not Republicans) since they are a majority.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »

For the most part, there are no White ethnics anymore outside New York, New Jersey, Boston, and Philly.

No, the United States has taken in pretty large numbers of Poles, Serbs, Croats, Bosnians, Ukranians and Macedonians over the past 25 years after the fall of communism and the Yugoslav Wars. They have settled in virtually every major metro area.

Here in the Chicago area, we have vast populations of the aforementioned groups, in addition to Greeks. The adults are immigrants, but also raise their native-born children to fluently speak the language, carry the faith, keep tradition, and regularly visit family in the old country. They are as ethnic in 2015 as there ancestors were in 1915.

White ethnics are still very much a thing.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 11:16:05 PM »

Come to think of it, Jews are basically "white ethnics" too.  Unless of course one's use of the term is inextricably tied up with Catholicism, which it shouldn't be.

Even if this were true (which, of course, lolno) the northeastern megalopolis is home to nearly one in five Americans.  That's a huge chunk of the country!
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 11:29:00 PM »

Sure they do: http://personal.tcu.edu/kylewalker/immigrant-america/
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 12:43:44 AM »

it depends on what you mean, red. if you mean as a firm cultural identity that even today is still sometimes geographically based, then yes, absolutely. if you mean as a political voting block, then maybe.

it first opens the touchy subject of whether Jews are culturally an ethnic group as well as a religion . many Jews are decidedly non-practicing and secular, some even non-religious, but still identify strongly as "ethnically Jewish ". and that identity is indicative of voting patterns.

If not, then there are still some holdouts in pockets of new Eastern European immigrants. Brighton Beach comes to mind, where there is very much a cohesive Russian vote. It's not monolithic, but what white ethnic voting block ever truly was?

Such examples are obviously very much the exception to the rule, though, and yeah, otherwise politically the Irish/Italian/Polish/white ethnic voter largely died out before the 90's.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 01:26:05 AM »

Dan Lipinski's district is very Polish-American if I recall correctly. So that's one "white ethnic" district.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 01:51:47 AM »

Of course they do!

For one, there are many "white ethnic" communities that have retained a strong sense of collective identity. Italians in Philadelphia or New Jersey have retained a fairly strong sense of identity and something that goes beyond mere "symbolic ethnicity". The same is true for Greek-Americans and Jews in particular. I'd also add that Portugese and French-Canadian communities have retained a very strong sense of identity.

There's also a strong presence of recent immigrants from eastern Europe.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »

Dan Lipinski's district is very Polish-American if I recall correctly. So that's one "white ethnic" district.

Per Wiki, it's less than 1/7 Polish. There're substantially more Hispanics , and even more Irish-Americans in the district.

More to the point, Polish American voters won't vote even close to a block, but rather based on other salient factors as income, frequency of church attendance , age, etc., just like other white Catholic voters .
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »

"Ethnic" whites are practically irrelevant in American politics now. I can't see how anyone would try to win the "Polish vote" or "Italian vote" anymore.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »

There's a grain of truth to that up there. Scandanavians and Germans assimilated quicker and had more time to do so than most Eastern and Southern European immigrants, so MN whites are arguably one of the most "white bread" of eethnicities.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »

Within a quick bike ride of my place in Brooklyn, we have a Polish neighborhood, a Hasidic neighborhood and within a longer bike ride there's a ton of Italian areas.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 01:11:27 PM »

"Ethnic" whites are practically irrelevant in American politics now. I can't see how anyone would try to win the "Polish vote" or "Italian vote" anymore.
That still happens A LOT in state and local politics.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 01:39:41 PM »

They certainly do in a few places where ethnic identities and emotional ties to the Old Country remain strong, like Boston, Chicago, parts of Brooklyn & Queens, the NJ Suburbs of NYC, and Long Island, but otherwise no.

Russians in Brighton Beach, Greeks in Astoria, Poles on the South Side of Chicago, Armenians in the LA Area, and Jews in the Greater NY Area are all very much "white ethnics" in the traditional sense of the term. Russians, Jews, Poles, or Armenians in, say, the Suburbs of Houston, Phoenix, or Atlanta, probably not so much.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 02:40:11 PM »

Per Wiki, it's less than 1/7 Polish. There're substantially more Hispanics , and even more Irish-Americans in the district.

More to the point, Polish American voters won't vote even close to a block, but rather based on other salient factors as income, frequency of church attendance , age, etc., just like other white Catholic voters .

Huh, I was under the impression it was more Polish than that, and didn't check, my mistake.

From what I understand though, Lipiniski's district is pretty socially conservative while still being strongly Democratic, which is a feature of "white ethnic" districts, right? That's what I was trying say, I think.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »

In a black and white yes know poll I voted yes, but they don't vote in blocs these days.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »

Would Arabs in Dearborn, for example, count as white ethnics?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 03:07:20 PM »

As long as people definite themselves as such, they exist.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies