The Collapse of Cultural Catholicism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:01:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  The Collapse of Cultural Catholicism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Collapse of Cultural Catholicism  (Read 5274 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 03:38:31 PM »

That's honestly the only real conclusion I can see from this type of thought process though,

That's because you have trouble with nuance.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »

I've noticed that McDonald's Fillet-o-Fish commercials always pop up during Lent, rather than some other random time of the year, as do promotions for other fish-based foods. Clearly enough people maintain the Lenten fast as to still be a market worth advertising to.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2015, 01:21:52 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2015, 01:45:31 AM by Question everything. Seek truth. Spread hope. »

That's honestly the only real conclusion I can see from this type of thought process though,

That's because you have trouble with nuance.

Honestly I think the thing here is the fact that as I've stated before many times, I don't feel any type of cultural or ethnic connections. They are just far too weak in my case, and thus I can't see myself as anything other than my chosen constructed identity, and I suppose a Midwesterner. I thought this. Honestly I didn't even know of my ethnic background until some middle school assignment. I only thought of myself as "white" and nothing more.

I don't know much about the sociology surrounding subcultural groups that operate without reference to transgenerational cultural transmission or the family unit, so I can't really answer this question.

Was actually kind of telling, at least as to why you've expressed horror before at my views that one's constructed and chosen aspects of their identity matter far more than anything born into. But after all, these type of subcultural groups are pretty much all I have experience with. We basically  have a complete inverse of familiarity.

But let me just say that I honestly simply can not comprehend this type of thought. Chalk it up to my aforementioned very weak and diluted familial heritage in regards to anything perhaps, but as noted before, I am not exactly atypical in the US.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2015, 11:22:20 PM by 秋と修羅 »

BRTD, I go to anime conventions. It's not that I don't understand having those parts in one's identity, it's that I don't understand them sociologically. Yet.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2015, 08:03:58 PM »

You can chalk this up to me having only taken one Sociology class in college, a very basic entry level one, but I don't really understand the difference.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies